Thread: MAARC LXXXII - Winners!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default MAARC LXXXII - Winners!

Creative Workshop Competitions - Check out our sister competitions here on TWC! << Picture of the Week | Tale of the Week | Writers' Study General Competitions | Graphics Workshop Monthly Competition >>

Image by cedric37.

MAARC LXXXII

Congratulations to the winners!

In FIRST PLACE is Fractured Dragon by Swaeft. This Skyrim AAR gives us the story of a mage on a quest - a quest that will take him to many places and lead him through many dangers. And all the time, he risks his true identity being exposed. This win gives Swaeft four Writers' Study competition points, which means he now has a total of 13 points, earning him a silver WS Competition medal!

In SECOND PLACE is Derc Plays Through World History by Derc. Derc's AAR continues to entertain, with its different games giving us a variety of campaigns, settings and characters far too large and exciting to summarise here. This well-deserved second place gives Derc three Writers' Study competition points. He now has a total of 7 points, which means he is entitled to a bronze WS Competition medal!

In THIRD PLACE is Of Wolves and Prey by Cookiegod, who earns immortal glory in the Hall of Fame and his first two Writers' Study competition points! This AAR is told as the story of an old man writing his memoirs, and is full of engaging characters.

Thanks to all those who submitted and those who voted, and many congratulations to our winners!

The submission thread is here, the original voting thread is here, and the tie-break thread is here.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: MAARC LXXXII - Winners!

Yay! Congrats to Kilo, who had just as many votes as I.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Yay! Congrats to Kilo, who had just as many votes as I.
    Whaaaaa?!

I checked just now, and it's Skotos' fault, cause he only used one vote, making his not count. But it's all good. This was an awesome round of AARs, and I don't feel bad coming in 4th here. Seriously, to you three up top, it is all deserved. Now let's make sure the MAARC for this month is just as jam-packed with hits.

@Caillagh/Alwyn: If Swaeft pops up a couple updates for God's Justice would he be allowed to enter the current MAARC? It says in the rules that

Quote Originally Posted by Rules
    The first place winner in the previous competition cannot enter this one.
    but to me it is not determinate whether the "first place winner" refers to a person or a work. I'd assume it's the former, but I thought I'd check on Swaeft's behalf, to see if he can't join us next month as well. (Honestly, I just love a good full competition )
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Campidoctor

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I forgot about the tie-break and to vote. I am so sorry! I ... I feel like an impostor, having robbed us all of another tie-break thread. How can I scratch off this weird pimple in my profile?
    Well ... Cookiegod would have lost anyway, given the lack of his updates. So it's ok.

Congratulations to everyone, well done. Sorry to Kilo, your AAR is too magical to be on place four. The Scots prevailed. Do you see now how evil they are?

Thanks everyone for voting. Really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11
    but to me it is not determinate whether the "first place winner" refers to a person or a work. I'd assume it's the former, but I thought I'd check on Swaeft's behalf, to see if he can't join us next month as well. (Honestly, I just love a good full competition )
    Good question. That's something I wonder about too.
    Last edited by Derc; May 22, 2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Kilo's question

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    I checked just now, and it's Skotos' fault, cause he only used one vote, making his not count.
    Oh man. My bad. Weird, I do remember casting both votes. I even checked it afterward to make sure as I always do. In any event, it wouldn't have changed the final outcome. (So you can probably guess who else I intended to vote for.)

Congrats all around, you guys. Especially to the two new medal winners!

Citizen

I knew it. We could've had a re-re-vote, but Jerc just had to derk around. -.-'

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I forgot about the tie-break and to vote. I am so sorry! I ... I feel like an impostor, having robbed us all of another tie-break thread. How can I scratch off this weird pimple in my profile?
    I knew it. We could've had a re-re-vote, but Jerc just had to derk around. -.-'
    Seriously, that is a shame. I always love re-votes on re-votes on re-votes. It's the magic of democracy

Quote Originally Posted by Derc
    Congratulations to everyone, well done. Sorry to Kilo, your AAR is too magical to be on place four. The Scots prevailed. Do you see now how evil they are?
    No need for apologies on that count Derc. I don't feel bad being fourth in this crowd, so don't feel bad for me either. There are excellent AARs all around here, and I'm honestly just glad to see the Writer's Study so busy with folks itching to write.

And no. I won't let this make me think the Scots are evil. They make my whisky, and haggis with neeps is awesome, and I love them! You can't convince me not to!

Quote Originally Posted by Skotos of Sinope View Post
    Oh man. My bad. Weird, I do remember casting both votes. I even checked it afterward to make sure as I always do. In any event, it wouldn't have changed the final outcome. (So you can probably guess who else I intended to vote for.)

Congrats all around, you guys. Especially to the two new medal winners!

No worries Skotos. I already got one update online since this previous MAARC and the next one is about halfway done, so I will be there next round for the laurels.

And congratulations are indeed in order for the new medalists, and for Cookiegod who's now been immortalized on our eternal scoreboard. So Cook, let me be the first to say:

Last edited by Kilo11; May 23, 2019 at 02:09 AM.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Just so you all know, there wasn't going to be a re-vote, whatever happened. So you haven't lost out there.
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; May 23, 2019 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Just so you all know, there wasn't going to be a re-vote, whatever happened. So you haven't lost out there.
    What would have been the decision if things had still been even though? Would all entrants win second place together, or would the WS staff hold their own vote on who takes what position? I have no feelings one way or another, I'm just wondering how these things go. (And feel free to move this question to the discussion thread if you feel it's off topic here.)
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

The tie was for third place, so there would have been two third place winners.

(This should not be taken as a guarantee that we'll always do things this way. I'd expect this system to be the usual one in MAARCs - either we hold another tie-break, or everyone who tied gets to share the glory - but if the circumstances are different, a different decision might be made. )

The tie was for third place, so there would have been two third place winners.

(This should not be taken as a guarantee that we'll always do things this way. I'd expect this system to be the usual one in MAARCs - either we hold another tie-break, or everyone who tied gets to share the glory - but if the circumstances are different, a different decision might be made. )
    Thanks for the info Caillagh!

And you hear that Cookiegod, if you think Skotos' vote should have counted, then we can be bronze-buddies Swaeft and Derc might be high up on the podiums (podia?), but we're closer to the drinks table anyway.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Campidoctor

You will have to drink your drinks in between cobwebs and tumbleweeds.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Congrats to the winners!
    Thanks to all who voted and joined the competition. And of course thanks Caillagh for running the competition.

See you all in MAARC LXXXIII! Cookiegod is already waiting for us there.

Citizen

Another dream of ours murdered. :'( But seriously: Makes sense and thanks for doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Congrats to the winners!
    Thanks to all who voted and joined the competition. And of course thanks Caillagh for running the competition.

See you all in MAARC LXXXIII! Cookiegod is already waiting for us there.
    Yes, and I'm literally killing it dying for some attention!

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

What a show guys, what a show. I'm extremely humbled, and by rights I should have more to say, but to my deep regret, in an ironic twist of fate I won't be able to continue Fractured Dragon for the time being. Many thanks to all who have voted, y'all keep the competition alive.

And my compliments to Caillagh for running a smooth competition!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Congratulations to Swaeft, Derc and Cookiegod, thanks to Caillagh and everyone who entered and voted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    @Caillagh/Alwyn: If Swaeft pops up a couple updates for God's Justice would he be allowed to enter the current MAARC? It says in the rules that

Thanks for asking. You assumed right, it's the former.

Writers' Study Staff have discussed this, the reason for this rule is to prevent any one writer from hogging the top place, so we're planning to keep it.

We're also planning a small adjustment to the wording of rules for future competition, to make this clearer (the rules will have the same effect that they have now).