Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Professional Armies vs Warrior Aristocracies vs Military Levies

Default Re: Professional Armies vs Warrior Aristocracies vs Military Levies

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    For example, a knight in England was only obliged to do military service 40 days per year. 40 days out of 365 days.
    I guess those knights would get their asses handed to them by "professional" forces .

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I guess those knights would get their asses handed to them by "professional" forces .
    Not necessarily. Campaign or no campaign, they would have good equipment and a lot of training. Some would choose to stay on campaign for longer periods out of personal interest. I just wanted to highlight the fact that the nobility had other duties, duties that usually trumped military duties for most of them. Also, medieval Europe did not have much in the way of professional soldiers until the 14th century.
    I recommend a pugio rather than a spear, because in close quarters combat, a dagger will serve you better than a spear.

Rad, 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Not necessarily.
    I was being sarcastic because of what I perceive as overconfidence in professional role as a significant factor in unit effectiveness. I guess it was a bit unnecessary, and I apologize.

I have no doubt that someone brought up into a military role and then being involved as much as 40 days a year in active duty in addition to other leadership roles is more than capable for fighting.

There is nothing to apologize for, mate
    To me, the greatest advantage of professional troops isn't increased combat effectiveness, it's availability. Their primary duty is to fight. They are there when you need them. Those knights that I mention could lose simply because they didn't form into a proper army in time - a force of professional soldiers could destroy them piecemeal.
    Last edited by Rad; June 06, 2019 at 11:38 AM.
    I recommend a pugio rather than a spear, because in close quarters combat, a dagger will serve you better than a spear.

Rad, 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaj View Post
    What time/century are we talking?
    As far as I know, from some time after the Norman conquest and through the middle ages. The law could still be in effect today unless someone bothered to abolish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaj View Post
    On iberian kingdoms there was an obligation to come to the king's call in moments of war, and while there was a tax to "avoid" it called "fonsada" o "fonsadera" it worked kind of the opposite way. More like a fine if you wish. If you didnt answer the call you had to pay it afterwards, and it was seen as extremely dishonourable and shameful to have to pay it.
    It really depends on the time and the area. Not answering a soverign's call to war was considered treason in some countries - the penalty would be a huge fine, seizure of land and death. However, I know of no law that enables a ruler to keep his nobles on campaign for long periods of time. It wouldn't be efficient and nobles would not agree to it. Yes, they have a military obligation, but their administrative and judicial duties come first. Feudalism is about delegating managerial responsibility to others.
    Last edited by Rad; June 06, 2019 at 12:36 PM.

Rad, 2016.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123