Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture of the Year 2018 & Game Picture of the Year 2018 - The Results!

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Picture of the Year 2018 & Game Picture of the Year 2018 - The Results!

Creative Workshop Competitions - Check out our sister competitions here on TWC! << Scriptorium 2017 Writing Competition | Tale of the Week Competition | Monthly Writers' Study Competitions >>

Banner created by Lifthrasir and Katsumoto

You have all had your vote, now is the time to see the results and winners for both Picture of the Year 2018 and Game Picture of the Year 2018!
    Thank you to all the competitors, and all of the voters, there's been an increase in both submissions and voters from last time around, which is great to see. Before we go to the results, I'd like to thank Caligula for his previous work I can base much of this off, for helping with the vote tally and for a lot more. Another thank you goes to Flinn for advertising the competition in various forums, and a big thanks to the News Team led by Caillagh for the front page announcement helping the participation rate become so high, and thank you to Alwyn and Caillagh for the administrative Hex stuff and valuable feedback. So let's get to it, shall we?

Picture of the Year 2018 RESULTS!
    The Picture of the Year competition had 58 voters, and 17 competitors.

In 11th place, with one vote was AnthoniusII.

In 10th place, with two votes was Alexander78.

In 9th place, with three votes were Caligula, Carracalla & naxzul666

In 8th place, with four votes was Van Zand.

In 7th place, with five votes were Abdülmecid I, King Athelstan, Quintus Hortensius Hortalus and Strachys.

In 6th place, with eight votes was Pinarius.

In 5th place, with nine votes was Swaeft.

In 4th place, with twelve votes was The Wandering Storyteller.

In 3rd place, with thirteen votes was Diocle.

In 2nd place, with fourteen votes were Jim_Riley and spiderknight.

In 1st place, with twenty-one votes was Skotos of Sinope.

Rewards1st Place
    Skotos of Sinope: Two Competition Points and +20 reputation

2nd Place
    Jim_Riley: +15 reputation
    spiderknight: +15 reputation

3rd Place
    Diocle: +10 reputation
    Congratulations to this years winners!
    - King Athelstan

Game Picture of the Year 2018 RESULTS!
    The Game Picture of the Year competition had 41 voters, and 14 competitors.

In 8th place, with two votes was Abdülmecid I.

In 7th place, with three votes was Derc.

In 6th place, with four votes were Strachys and Hitai de Bodemloze.

In 5th place, with five votes was Admiral Van Tromp.

In 4th place, with seven votes were Pinarius and The Wandering Storyteller.

In 3rd place, with eight votes were Aexodus, Conclamatus, King Athelstan and Swaeft.

In 2nd place, with nine votes were Carracalla and spiderknight.

In 1st place, with twelve votes was Commisar Caligula_

Rewards1st Place
    Caligula: Two Competition Points and +20 reputation

2nd Place
    Carracalla: One Competition Point and +15 reputation
    spiderknight: One Competition Point and +15 reputation

3rd Place
    Aexodus: +10 reputation
    Conclamatus: +10 reputation
    King Athelstan: +10 reputation
    Swaeft: +10 reputation
    Congratulations to this years winners!
    - King Athelstan

The Director's Choice Award
    Now we come to the Director's Choice Award. For this award, I have asked Commisar Caligula_ (the previous Content Director of the Screenshot and Video Competitions) and I shall myself choose the favourite picture from the previous year's weekly competitions that did not win, and to write a short piece on why we liked it.

I chose nazxul666s submission to Picture of the Week 533 writing...

As I looked through all the POTW submissions for 2018, I found one that really stood out, though didn't win. Namely this one. I've been a fan of Warhammer since the Total War game came out, and this one represents them well. They say a picture says more than a thousand words, but I'll do my best. First, the background. It's distorted by vasts clouds of sand hanging in the air, thus laying the focus clearly on the center, where the action is. Here we see a Tomb King finishing off a helpless soldier, who couldn't stand against him. The closeup on the soldiers despairing face combined with the menacing look of the Tomb King makes for an enthralling sight. I see a lot of connotations here, from despair the men must feel, to the anger the Tomb King has for these men to come to his domain. They all look determined to win the battle.
    The colours are very smooth and makes the image very pleasant for the eyes as well, and the contrast between the sharper, fresh blue of the soldiers clothing and the ancient, eroded almost blue on the Tomb King is also very powerful. Thus, one doesn't know exactly who to root for here, but it'll be dark nonetheless

Commisar Caligula chose Swaefts submission to Game Picture of the Week 108 and wrote...

The Last City, and the Tower itself have withstood many assaults over the years, but none rival the invasion by the Red Legion. The City burns, the Tower crumbles to pieces, and the Traveller itself is under attack. The stakes have never been higher…

But all that can wait whilst Swaeft admires the sunset and watches a Cabal Thresher spiral towards a fiery death, thanks no doubt to a Guardian who is actually contributing to the fight.

I really liked this screenshot because it really puts you into the shoes of the player character. They’re watching helplessly, armed only with a terrible pistol, as their city is attacked and the big floaty ball that gives them magic powers is hugged to death by a creepy spider thing. The city burns below and a storm is raging, and all seems lost but at least there is 1 less baddie on the horizon.

Whilst you are here, you may be interested in entering in the currently running competitions.
    Last edited by King Athelstan; May 25, 2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Mistake in vote listed wrong winner, fixed now.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Picture of the Year 2018 & Game Picture of the Year 2018 - The Results!

Congrats all!

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Default Re: Picture of the Year 2018 & Game Picture of the Year 2018 - The Results!

I like how for POTY 2018, some people definitely just blew everyone out of the water with their pictures and won by a massive margin, whereas with GPOTY there was a lot of very fierce competition for every position, and pretty much every picture was equal

Congratulations to everyone who got a picture in running, even if you went terribly (10th place for POTY? )

And now that I am 2nd on the leaderboards, with 37 wins I can gracefully retire until theatroN or Noif come back and quickly kick me off, or The Wandering Storyteller keeps on winning (or I find a new game I like taking screenshots in).
    Here's my Steam if ya wanna add me. https://steamcommunity.com/id/Keedligula
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; May 21, 2019 at 08:41 AM.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Congratz to the winners! Great competitions and Director's Choices!

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I don't even know when I win tbh! *haha* Commisar, keep submitting! Its a joy to see your screenshots.

Honestly there have been amazing entries and the competition is getting even more fiercer than ever before.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Congratulations.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Alexander78's Avatar Campidoctor
    Civitate Content Emeritus

Well... I am really surprised by this result, especially since only two people voted for my screen according to the results of the voting that is displayed on my monitor. I don't know why this is happening, but it's a fact. And I'm also surprised because I think the competition featured more impressive pics than mine. But this is my personal point of view and, as it turned out, it does not coincide with the voters.
    Leaving all of the above aside, I would like to express my gratitude to all the TWC administration and staff involved in these events (Flinn, King Athelstan, Caligula, Alwyn, Caillagh and many others) and all the people who are actively involved in the life of TWC and in these competitions in particular.
    I am grateful to all who voted and express respect for all participants, guys your works are awesome.
    Congratulations to Commissar Caligula with a victory in GPOTY and hope that it still continues to delight us with their screens. I also congratulate all the participants who took the second and third places in the competitions, I know some of them and I am doubly pleased that their works were evaluated by the voters.
    A lovely Directors choice. Swaeft I'm happy for you, nazxul - congratulations.
    Oh, I've written a lot of words, I hope it doesn't tire the readers too much. The main thing is that everything is written from the heart. With gratitude and respect to all.
    Last edited by Alexander78; May 22, 2019 at 07:36 AM.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I know they’re just video games but damn all the pics here are really awesome looking, and I’m chuffed my submission did as well as it did.

Congrats Cal!
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Skotos of Sinope's Avatar Macstre Gaposal

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander78 View Post
    Well... I am really surprised by this result, especially since only two people voted for my screen according to the results of the voting that is displayed on my monitor. I don't know why this is happening, but it's a fact.
    I'm not surprised at all that you won. You earned it. This was one of the toughest fields in recent memory. And thus with so many hard choices, the votes were bound to be spread out among all these great entries and any winner was certain to be a squeaker.

I'm humbled by coming in second. Congrats to the other winners, and I'd echo the heartfelt thanks to the contest runners. Great job, guys.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Well... I am really surprised by this result, especially since only two people voted for my screen according to the results of the voting that is displayed on my monitor. I don't know why this is happening, but it's a fact. And I'm also surprised because I think the competition featured more impressive pics than mine. But this is my personal point of view and, as it turned out, it does not coincide with the voters.
    Leaving all of the above aside, I would like to express my gratitude to all the TWC administration and staff involved in these events (Flinn, King Athelstan, Caligula, Alwyn, Caillagh and many others) and all the people who are actively involved in the life of TWC and in these competitions in particular.
    I am grateful to all who voted and express respect for all participants, guys your works are awesome.
    Congratulations to Commissar Caligula with a victory in GPOTY and hope that it still continues to delight us with their screens. I also congratulate all the participants who took the second and third places in the competitions, I know some of them and I am doubly pleased that their works were evaluated by the voters.
    A lovely Directors choice. Swaeft I'm happy for you, nazxul - congratulations.
    Oh, I've written a lot of words, I hope it doesn't tire the readers too much. The main thing is that everything is written from the heart. With gratitude and respect to all.
    Lol you might be right Alexander... I tallied the votes about a month ago for Athelstan, and must've accidentally clicked "2" twice when I was doing your results. I triple-checked to make sure every picture aligned with each user, but didn't double-check the actual results. So:

1st: Skotos
    2nd: Jim_Riley and spiderknight
    3rd: Diocle

But you came first in my heart

So I guess this is a lesson not to rely on me to do something as difficult as count votes, and that we should've checked again.
    Athelstan will fix it officially in a day or two, due to his exam commitments.

Its just like the Oscars!
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; May 22, 2019 at 05:02 PM.

spiderknight's Avatar Ordinarius

congrats to all the winners! Great screens.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Congrats to everybody who made it to the finals, and a special congrats to those who actually won

A special thanks goes to King Athelstan, who did a great job here and to all the other former and actual staffers involved.

See you next year
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Well this was one lovely thing to come back to after a bad week. Keep this up guys, video game companies are going to ask us to design their promotional materials soon enough.

Honestly though, these are insane. I must disagree with you here Caligula, I enjoy the GPOTWs slightly more than the POTWs, and the POTYs might have won by a large margin but the quality is stunning across the board. (same for GPOTY) Look at the orcs and uruk hai on fire, the editing there was superb, and the crispness of the warhammer dragon shot, I must admit I'm a little surprised those are not higher up.

Congrats guys, please keep them coming, I beg you!

P.S. Ouch Alex :S

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Lol you might be right Alexander... I tallied the votes about a month ago for Athelstan, and must've accidentally clicked "2" twice when I was doing your results. I triple-checked to make sure every picture aligned with each user, but didn't double-check the actual results.
    I will only be glad if the reward finds the true winner. Mistakes happen, we're all human after all.
    Oh, Caligula, I have to admit I'm touched. (But just in case, I must say that I am married and have two children.)
    Okay, I'm kidding of course, thanks again for your work and don't jump to retirement.
    Last edited by Alexander78; May 25, 2019 at 04:59 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Lol you might be right Alexander... I tallied the votes about a month ago for Athelstan, and must've accidentally clicked "2" twice when I was doing your results. I triple-checked to make sure every picture aligned with each user, but didn't double-check the actual results. So:

1st: Skotos
    2nd: Jim_Riley and spiderknight
    3rd: Diocle

So I guess this is a lesson not to rely on me to do something as difficult as count votes, and that we should've checked again.
    Athelstan will fix it officially in a day or two, due to his exam commitments.

Its just like the Oscars!

Alas, this is true. The correct results will be updated tomorrow.

And yes, boy those exams... English Literature on the Wednesday, Norwegian on Thursday and then work afterwards which ended in wine with the boss till the wee hours of the night. Today was spent recuperating...
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Congratulations to the winners and thank you to King Athelstan for running the competitions! The quality of these pictures is amazing.

Thanks to all who entered, those who voted and to Flinn. Thanks also to the News Team for your help with advertising the competitions (front page announcements are available from News, if you have a competition, mod release/update or similar activity to publicise).

Blog Entries

The OP has been updated with the correct winner, congratulations!
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    The OP has been updated with the correct winner, congratulations!
    Perfectly.
    Now that everything has fallen into place, I can breathe a sigh of relief and congratulate the true POTY winners.
    Skotos, I heartily congratulate you, you have won the contest deserved and you have done a great job! I'm glad that all turned out and you headed the top of POTY an absolute victory beyond any doubt. Once again, congratulations!
    I also want to congratulate Jim Riley, spiderknight, Diocle on their victory (I believe that in POTY the second and third places is also a true victory). Great pictures guys!
    PS I ask the Directors of the competition to take off my points and reputation, which were given to me by mistake. I don't want to take advantage of something I don't deserve. Thanks.

Blog Entries

PS I ask the Directors of the competition to take off my points and reputation, which were given to me by mistake. I don't want to take advantage of something I don't deserve. Thanks.
    Already taken care of, thank you for your great sportsmanship
    and Peaman

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Citizen Censor

Blog Entries

Exellent work

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast