Thread: PC occasionally rebooting when playing games

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Default PC occasionally rebooting when playing games

Back then I was using i5 3570 and occasionally I have total system crash where either rebooting or just simply turned off (but there are still lights on the fans). It haooened either playings XCOM 2 or Warhammer 2 (cant say other games since I seldom play others).

It also happened when I afk for a certain time leaving the game on. It happened both on used RX 570 and RX 580. The RX 580 is a known mining unit but not sure about the RX 570. When restarted however it says something about Adrenalin needs to restart because of some error. I have always do clean installation for every new driver versions that comes out. It even happened after I clean reinstall Windows.

Now I'm using Ryzen 5 2600 with Gigabyte B450m S2H (the cheapest board &#128513 and it still happened. It happened more frequent if I OC either the CPU or GPU but also happened when I leave them on stock. It only happened when gaming, not when doing other stuff though. One thing I know is that when it happened, the top of my case (got 2 outflow fans) feels very hot.

Gaming wise, both cpu and gpu seldom goes above 70c when I view using after burner.

I'm not sure whether this is gpu issue (anyone else using RX 570 and RX 580 having this issue?) or my psu. My psu (FSP II Saga 500w) is the oldest component in my pc which I bought when I was building my oc for Shogun 2.

Is there any other test that I can do? My ram is 3000Mhz corsair vengeance though I run with XMP profile on and OC to 3200Mhz but I believe the crash happened with 3000Mhz too. Havent tried running without XMP though but I believe my ram and mobo should not be the problem since the sympton is the same with my Intel set up.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: PC occasionally rebooting when playing games

I'm gonna give you a few ideas, but I'll write them down ''shorthand'' style since I'm on my phone.

1)Rysen based setups (any generation) and RAM usually have issues with clocked memory and XPM profiles. Also, check your CPU's temps especially if you're using the default cooler or a cheap thermal paste.
    2)Probably not an overheating issue.
    3)My guess is a problematic GPU or your FSP is almost dead. Plus it's a very cheap basic power supply not made for such extended use.
    4)Java, just uninstall everything related to it.
    5) Avast- if you have it just remove it.
    6) If you're using dual displays try removing one at a time.
    7) RAM try removing one at a time as well.
    8) Camera, if you have one just disable and test your performance again.
    9) External USB wifi, remove it and run a game.
    10) Don't OC anything and revert to default values for everything.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

1. I previously used the stock cooler but now used wraith prism (ryzen 2700x stock cooler) which brought the temp down by 10c. Now gaming around 60c instead of 70c previously. I believe id it's ram issue I will have problems too with doing other works like spreadsheet etc. No problem binge watching youtubes or netflix. My pc almost run 24/7.

2. Not cpu and hopefully gpu but my case do feel real hot. Sometimes I have to wait it to cool down before I can even reboot it.

3. GPU might be the cause but my suspect is the PSU.

4. Cant remember if I have it. Will check.

5. Not using.

6. Not using.

7. Dont think it's the ram. Memtest shows no error whatsoever even when running on 3200Mhz.

8. Dont have it. I used LAN direct with my pc.

9. Dont have it.

10. I run everything stock now (except RAM where without XMP it will run at 2133Mhz instead of rated 3000Mhz). CPU do auto OC due to XFR2 averaging 3700-3750Mhz.

My only real guess now is PSU which is on my next upgrade list.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    1. I previously used the stock cooler but now used wraith prism (ryzen 2700x stock cooler) which brought the temp down by 10c. Now gaming around 60c instead of 70c previously. I believe id it's ram issue I will have problems too with doing other works like spreadsheet etc. No problem binge watching youtubes or netflix. My pc almost run 24/7.

2. Not cpu and hopefully gpu but my case do feel real hot. Sometimes I have to wait it to cool down before I can even reboot it.

3. GPU might be the cause but my suspect is the PSU.

4. Cant remember if I have it. Will check.

5. Not using.

6. Not using.

7. Dont think it's the ram. Memtest shows no error whatsoever even when running on 3200Mhz.

8. Dont have it. I used LAN direct with my pc.

9. Dont have it.

10. I run everything stock now (except RAM where without XMP it will run at 2133Mhz instead of rated 3000Mhz). CPU do auto OC due to XFR2 averaging 3700-3750Mhz.

My only real guess now is PSU which is on my next upgrade list.
    2) Then you surely have heating issues. Probably overall, not for a specific hardware part.
    3) If you're under warranty you should send it for checking.
    7) Sometimes RAM sticks have no actual damage or issue but fail to perform together as bundle.
    10) Auto OC is usually bad for your temps and overall system's stability. Plus since you're suing your pc 24/7 I would urge you to get a better PSU.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

The ones thats still under warranty is mobo, cpu, ram and the nvme where I install TW games. GPU and PSU are already out of warranty.

Regarding overheating, CPU and GPU are running within safe temps. How to check mobo temp? My mobo is the cheap one gigabyte b450m s2h with not so good vrm.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Just have a temporary 'fix' at this moment by reverting to default RX580 bios instead of the boost bios. The PC no longer crashed after gaming for couple of hours and while the top of the case is still warm, it's not as hot as before.

Does this mean my PSU no longer capable to provide enough power?

Some other people also having similar issue from what I see on official forum when playing Three Kingdoms and lowering the GPU voltage seems to stable the game much.

Is is possible that the game somehow can draw more power?

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Please follow these instructions and make another crash. If it results in BSOD, troubleshoot from there and/or post the results here; if not, well, we still learn something, and you can revert the steps.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/help-troubleshoot-the-blue-screen-of-death-by-preventing-automatic-reboot/

This might not seem like a BSOD problem, but if we have nothing conclusive to go on, it is entirely possible you have a system just wiping it away before you can ever see it.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    Please follow these instructions and make another crash. If it results in BSOD, troubleshoot from there and/or post the results here; if not, well, we still learn something, and you can revert the steps.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/help-troubleshoot-the-blue-screen-of-death-by-preventing-automatic-reboot/

This might not seem like a BSOD problem, but if we have nothing conclusive to go on, it is entirely possible you have a system just wiping it away before you can ever see it.
    Reverting to default bios seems to fix my issue. Others downvolted their GPU and get the same result. I think I will replace my PSU first (it's old anyway) and see if I'm getting the same issue with boost bios.