Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Update 1.15 - PREVIEW

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Content Staff

Default Re: Update 1.15 - PREVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by Spariel View Post
    No changes to custom settlements and cities, though cities have been modified along with basically every chain on a campaign perspective.

Crashes are far less frequent due to the removal of rebels months ago, haven't been too many crash complaints at all.

Not sure on sieges, but the game WILL crash if you make the AI Imperium Romanum in custom battles.

Edit: Turns out Tyros has actually been modified, as per Sheridan's comment below.
    Disappointed to hear that changes won't be made to cities for now, but hopeful for future.

Can you guys add a Sepia filter during siege battles?

Rebels always caused crashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    UMC's answers on these:

- Spawn rebels are fixed for surrounding Mediterranean regions

- Custom battle I canít seem to fix, itís an Attila issue

- One city has been changed, Tyros.

- Looking to add a unique custom (non historical map) for Pella
    Many thanks

I do hope in a near future update we get Eastern Cities update - they really need a big overhaul - I'd give them more unique variation and more expanding.

Seems ready to start up a new campaign!

If crashes occur in campaign better to report here to just reload?

Is religion playing any big role now in campaign?

Awesome, send me a PM on Discord if you still have me there. I'm called Sheridan

Im sorry I couldn't find the account, but here are Armenian names for both female and male that are historically accurate for the time period.

MALE NAMES:

Tigran
    Artashes
    Artavazd
    Armen
    Hayk
    Vahagn
    Hrachya- (Hur=fire/flame achya=eyed)
    Vrej (Vengeance)
    Vruyr
    Ararat
    Martik (warrior)
    Yervand
    Vartan
    Vahan (shield)
    Aram
    Avak (means first as in first born/elder)
    Zareh
    Koyroon(Lion cub)
    Jirayr (Jir=hardworking/capable ayr=man)
    Aznavur (Noble)
    Agnuni (agn=eye open eyed or alert eyed)
    Aspet (knight)
    Ara

FEMALE NAMES:

Anahit
    Nane
    Astghik (little star)
    Armenuhi
    Tigranuhi
    Satenik
    Lusine (lusin=moon luys=light)
    Gohar
    Erato (this is Greek but was name of Armenian queen of the Artashesian Dynasty)
    Arpine
    Arevik (little sun)
    Haykuhi
    Vartuhi
    Agavni (Dove)

Thank you Armen, will use these!
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

First of all, i love battles in this mod! I love how its closer to original Rome Total War and it's realism mods, it feels as it should be. Missile units don't demolish everything like machine guns, cavalry does not destroy everything it touches. But infantry is not invincible either and benefits greatly from missile and cavalry support, cavalry as well benefits greatly from infantry support - like in real history. This is brilliant! So few, almost none, manage this in modern total wars.

However, i am not fan of buildings. This is more of issue with how game is designed and not team's fault, but i hate how you can magically only build 4-6 buildings to one city/town. Its terrible. I hate having to choose 4 buildings from so many options... I would rather take system from Roma Surrectum 2 where yes, you can build almost every building in almost all places, but due to how long it would take and how costly it would be its better to priotize - its a soft cap, not hard one, which means that i can make all my settlements identical so i don't have to think too much and i can just relax and enjoy the battles. I would like to just see abstract system where instead of building invidual buildings, you build development levels or something and all the towns could be identical but provincial capitals/places with ports would just get something extra.
    Yeah it would remove a lot from campaign, but i would still prefer that over system where i have to select from tens of choices just to only be able to build 4-6 of them. Or if there is port then only 3-6.
    Ofc if you can remove hard cap from how many different buildings can be built (unlikely) then that would be even better!
    I hope the new building system allows me to enjoy that aspect of this brilliant mod as well. I will have to try it to see what i think about it. But it sounds like new system will still have issue that i need to specialize each town and every place needs to be different. Sure that is somewhat realistic, i just am not a fan since i don't like hard caps.
    Have you considered option where all buildings give small bonus to everything? I mean, building that would include temple, include farm, include barracks etc etc. And then each hybrid building would have some bonus that is larger than others, allowing players to still specialize if they want to. And then there would be large amount of these hybrid buildings available to choose from.

I like turtling and developing slowly, building up my cities one by one so that each of them is stable and strong before i move on to capture new ones. I just hate hard caps, as i already said. With hybrid buildings that include all the important stuff in same building i could just build those without headache, and specialize not because i absolutely have to, but because it is beneficial and worth it.

Also it would be great if all places would have as much defenses as possible - towns can become really big in this game, and in real life it only took small amount of soldiers to defend against vastly larger numbers, which is entire reason why fortifications and defenses were built to almost every settlement.
    Perhaps garrisons could include large number of smaller units. Large number of units is needed to defend multiple different locations, and their smaller number would give them less raw power. This would allow you to actually defend entire settlements, like in real life where often all of the outer walls were manned and only reinforcements were moved around. Nobody wants to leave portion of the walls undefended, but in Total wars your units of 200 cant be split to 4 units of 50 men to guard 4 gatehouses with eguilevant number of archers. Instead, you need 4 units of 200 and 4 units of 160 archers - that is incredibly costly to maintain and takes up lot of space in sometimes small areas. It is common that i have to use larger garrisons than i would like just so i don't leave completely undefended empty gaps in the defenses.

Thank you for all your work
    Last edited by TheRomanRuler; May 28, 2019 at 11:01 AM.

Greetings, gentlemen!

Finally I found some time to install and play your awesome mod. Truly impressive work had been done.

Unfortunately it seems that there is a bug that occurs during sieges (in my case the siege of Mediolanium by the Roman Republic - me) where the unins can't climb the walls using ladders (not sure about the rest of the siege equipement). Basically they push the ladders all the way to the walls and then simply refuse to climb onto them. The same has been mentioned on the steam mod page by JCSA (27th of May 2019). I appologize in advance in case the issue was acknowledged already, but I was not able to find anything along those lines across the AE forum.

Thanks for your fascinating work!

Hoping for early June, but it is not confirmed yet. I hear you - getting rebel factions back is one of my top wishes, but it isn't my table and as such I cannot make any estimations as to when it will be. Will definitely forward it though
    Hoping for early June, THX!

Please, don't get me wrong Sheridan, I love your work and the work of all you elite modders! I really do! You improve on games that are already pretty good with your mods. A phenomenal achievement!
    So, no criticism is meant when I say, it is not early June any more. Have you a new possible date for completion, please?
    Last edited by Lannes1; June 12, 2019 at 11:39 AM.

I understand your longing for an official release date and it does suck that these estimations don't always come true. Like I've said on some other platforms like Discord, I've recently completed my bachelor thesis in medicine. For two weeks, I really couldn't focus on the mod and that has delayed it somewhat. But we appreciate you guys' patience and rest assured that progress is being made, even if slowly at certain times. I will return with more information on release date and additional previews as they are ready

Congrats Sheridan on the completion of your thesis! The updates to this game will be worth the wait.

I understand your longing for an official release date and it does suck that these estimations don't always come true. Like I've said on some other platforms like Discord, I've recently completed my bachelor thesis in medicine. For two weeks, I really couldn't focus on the mod and that has delayed it somewhat. But we appreciate you guys' patience and rest assured that progress is being made, even if slowly at certain times. I will return with more information on release date and additional previews as they are ready
    Thanks, Doctor 'Sheridan'. Well done.

Lannes... you sound new to this mod, word of advice would be patience... it's been about a year (i think) since they released this to the public and it's still in Beta basically.
    And not to mention that the original date goes back years now, I think 2017 if I'm not mistaken, and they even managed to miss that date by about a year or so.

So at this point we need to accept it for what it is... a long term project, as opposed to something we expect to see finished by a certain date. I myself was critical of the mod years ago when I said by the time they actually release it, it won't matter anymore because there'll be new TW titles and people will have moved on. Even though I was mostly right it still doesn't change the fact that these guys are literally doing this for the love of it, we should help them along in any way possible.

Quick question, will we need to restart our game for this update?

Quote Originally Posted by Legion10 View Post
    Congrats Sheridan on the completion of your thesis! The updates to this game will be worth the wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lannes1 View Post
    Thanks, Doctor 'Sheridan'. Well done.
    Thank you both, I appreciate it. Work will resume in the next few days and we are in a solid position overall with patch progress and feedback

@Legion10 This update will require a restart when it launches. It's very heavy in terms of contents. I don't think it would break save games per se, but if you don't restart you would be missing out on most of the goodies

Semisalis

Ancient Empires is a great mod but whats the point when the game crashes all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alu10 View Post
    Ancient Empires is a great mod but whats the point when the game crashes all the time.
    When and where does it crash? It is long since the former days of instability. We patched out the chief elements causing crashes. So what do you mean by all the time - how often is that, which faction do you play with and when does the crash occur?

May I ask a question? I wanna start a new campaign now, but if update will release soon I can wait for it. Is it worth to wait some time or I just can finish campaign before update if i start now?
    I dont asking about release date, I just asking can update come in this month (because if not I won't wait and just start to play current version of a mod).
    In any case - awesome work, guys, mod are great!

You can safely start (or resume) a campaign

Hey Sheridan, please clarify, we can start/resume a new game now, however you said "...update will require a restart..." whats a restart?

Sheridan, will you also do something about the Army emblems in Attila, please? Perhaps, import them from Rome II? You might have a better idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12