Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [TES AAR] Dragon Break

Christonikos's Avatar Centenarius

Default [TES AAR] Dragon Break

A few words about this AAR and mostly it's fromat. If you have ever played the Elder Scrolls games, you will be familiar with the books that there are in all games. This AAR is a collection of such "books" based on the timeline and the events of the campaign I play in Medieval 2 Total War. So as you already may know, the books in the games can span from 20 in-game pages to just short letters and poems with just 8 lines (Don't expect me to write poems, though). This AAR will not be a retelling of every move and battle in the campaign map from my point of view, but rather stories written by characters during the events. I do no intend to follow a strict chronological order, or a standard theme, but I may try to keep some cohesion between the "documents". As a side note, I played this campaign almost 2 years before I start writing this AAR, but I have kept too many saves for each turn, so my task now is to reconstruct the stories. I hope you enjoy it!
    General Information
    • Mod: The Elder Scrolls mod with Jadlii's Unoffocial Patch
    • Faction: The Empire
    • Difficulty Hard/Hard (I think, maybe H/VH, can't remember really)

Directory
    0. Dragon Break revised
    On Valenwood
    1. Hubris
    2. Imperial Missive
    3. Death of a saint
    Conquering Argonia
    4. Ocato's account
    5. Prince Geldall's personal journal
    6. Path of Thorns
    7. The False Emperor

Dragon Break revised

"Every culture on Tamriel remembers the Dragon Break in some fashion; to most it is a spiritual anguish that they cannot account for. Several texts survive this timeless period, all (unsurprisingly) conflicting with each other regarding events, people, and regions: wars are mentioned in some that never happen in another, the sun changes color depending on the witness, and the gods either walk among the mortals or they don't. Even the 'one thousand and eight years,' a number (some say arbitrarily) chosen by the Elder Council, is an unreliable measure."
    ―Where were you when the Dragon Broke? , 1st Edition
    By the term “Dragon Break” scholars and the common folk refer to periods of time when alternative timelines spawn and co-exist, until finally they merge back together, most of them at least, and follow the main timeline of events that we are all familiar with. Those so called Dragon Breaks usually occur when there is a greater interaction between mortals and the Divine. Some examples are the activation of Numidium, both times, the Oblivion Crisis and the more recent return of Alduin in Skyrim. All knowledge about Dragon Breaks comes from either contradicting documents and reports regarding the very same events, as is perfectly showcased in the book “The Warp in the West” about the events in Iliac Bay, or people’s memories that contradict the main timeline.
    The Warp in the West is with certainty the most famous and universally accepted Dragon Break. New researches however classify the Oblivion Crisis and the Return of the dragons as Dragon Breaks. However, most evidence are just people’s contradicting recollections, than actual written documents.For instance, on Oblivion Crisis, beggars and other low-class people have claimed that the Champion of Cyrodiil became the Grey Fox, while some scholars of the Imperial University and imperial mages have claimed that he became the Archmage. Others have gone so far saying he became Sheogorath, the Mad God himself, but those recollections are disregarded as mumblings of mad men. On the Battle of Burma many guards of the city claimed they had no external help other than the Champion and Martin Septim, while there were soldiers from other cities that swore they had fought themselves at the Battle, aiding their brothers in arms.Same case with the Dragonborn. People sometimes even argue about the race and the gender of the hero. There are even people who believe the Stormcloaks won the civil war and others who claim they saw the Dragonborn himself executing Ulfric Stormcloak. The hero is also sometimes described as a werewolf, and sometimes as a Vampire Lord.
    Finally there is scarce evidence that besides those short timelines, because of those events, longer alternative timelines may occur, that may never merge back to the original, thus giving birth to theories like the alternative universes. Such example are a series of books, recently recovered and sorted, about the Imperial Wars after Uriel VII Septim’s death and the establishment of a stronger Tamriel Empire. Events unknown to everyone are described with detail and stories of great heroes and their deeds, no one has ever heard about them as well.

Last edited by Christonikos; November 23, 2020 at 03:02 PM.

Default Re: [TES AAR] Dragon Break

Hubris

“We did this, we brought this to ourselves”

Just a few years before the Oblivion Crisis, Emperor Uriel Septim VII devised a plan to strengthen and secure the Empire’s borders, sensing the great evil and the wars that would follow.
    In the North, he assigned the Grandmaster of the Blades, Jauffre, to deal with the Undead threat from the Jerral mountains and reclaim the forts of Pale Pass and Sancre Tor. Through Pale Pass passage from Cyrodiil to Skyrim would always be available, and in Sancre Tor a unique artifact was said to be hidden.
    In the South, he ordered the capture of the city of Rimmen, where secrets of the Numidium and the Tsaesci, Rim-men, could be uncovered. Also securing the border with Elsweyr and opening new trade routes with the Kingdoms of Anequina and Pelletine. Likewise, he ordered the recapture from the lurking necromancers and undead of Fort Blue Blood near the borders with Black Marsh and its restoration, foreseeing perhaps the future war with the Argonians.
    Finally, he ordered the recapture of the wealthy city of Arenthia from the rebel Bosmer, thus gaining a foothold in Valenwood, directly connected to the mainland of Cyrodiil.
    This task fell upon the First Legion of Imperial City, led by no other than Adamus Phillida, the Commander of the whole Imperial Legion himself. Prince Ebbel Septim, later titled “the Saint” by the people, third son of Emperor Uriel Sepitm VII, accompanied the commander with the 14th Legion from Colovia. Some time later Natch Arctus, the general of the 1st Legion left Fort Homestead and joined the expedition with his reinforcements as well. And thus a huge Imperial force laid siege at the city of Arenthia.
    -Commander, we should storm the city at once. They are outnumbered, badly armored and untrained. They are no match for the might of the Legion!
    -General, your plan is bold. But why commit to fighting, when we could simply wait some months, a year at most, to starve them out and make them surrender? We will follow the standard procedure. Go tell your men to cut the enemy supply lines, block the roads and blockade the ports. No one is coming in or out of the city.
    -Yes sir, as you wish.

If only it was that simple. Soon reports came from the camp about Imperial soldiers going missing in the forest during the night. Bosmer defenders showed absolutely no intention of surrendering. Spies inside the city reported that the food stockpile was regularly restocked. And then came the sightings. It started as rumors. Soldier heard noises from above during the night. Even whispers maybe. It was the Bosmer Huntsmen who used the tall trees outside the city to move freely. Carrying supplies, communicating with the rest of the world and bringing death from above.

-Commander, we have a problem. It has been months since we began the siege, and it seems like we are getting nowhere. On the other hand, we are losing men night after night to an invisible foe. The men are getting anxious. And scared.
    -Invisible foe? What invisible foe? It’s just some monkey imitating Elves hanging from the trees. Just throw some stones on them and they will start falling.
    -Sir, with all due respect, what you are suggesting is not possible. Our men are not trained for aerial warfare. We were not expecting imps, dragons or flying Elves for the matter. We could request a battlemage battalion from the Imperial City, but I sincerely doubt the Emperor would grant us one, when necromancers have infested Cyrodiil and the King of Worms is rumored to be behind it.
    -Then we continue the siege. There is no way they can resupply enough to withstand forever.
    -But sir, it could take many years before they surrender. Maybe your fight against the Dark Brotherhood has made you soft. All that sitting behind the desk, patiently investigating and chasing shadows…
    -Enough. You may have a point.
    -So shall we enter the city?
    -No, I will not return to the Emperor with a quarter of my soldiers butchered by the Bosmer.
    -What’s on your mind then?
    -We need drastic measures. They will surrender.
    -How?
    -We cut down the forest.
    Complete silence dominated the Commander’s tent, as he finished his sentence. Until Prince Ebbel intervened.
    -Commander, this is preposterous. Ever heard of the Green Pact? Those people have a deeper connection with the woods none of us can understand. For them the trees are sacred, just like a shrine or a holy sight is to us. We cannot desecrate them by cutting or burning them.
    -If that’s so, why don’t you go back the Imperial City and the Emperor and tell him yourself, that you prefer sacrificing his legions instead of cutting down some trees? Or maybe, you ‘d prefer to tell him that we cannot carry out his orders. Tell him that we failed him, YOU failed him while your elder brother is riding South restoring and securing the borders of the Empire.
    -You do not understand. If we cut down those trees, all the tribes may unite against us. You do not want another Hart-King roaming in Cyrodiil now, do you?
    -Camoran Usurper was defeated, and so will anyone who dares to oppose us. If an army of Daedra and Undead couldn’t beat us, will some Elves with sticks and bows ever pose a threat to us? Besides, those rebel Bosmer who have taken control of the city by force, have no ties to the tribal council. I doubt the tribes will give a damn about them.
    -This is wrong…but I see no way around it.
    -Then, the decision has been made. General, tell the men to start cutting down all the trees around the city. It won’t take long for the city to fall.
    And so it happened. The soldiers were chopping down the trees for days. Where once stood a big dense forest, now one could see only scattered trunks. The Bosmer population instead of surrendering, furiously stormed out of the city to confront the blasphemous attackers. It was a massacre, as expected. The light armored Bosmer, mostly peasants, huntsmen and a few soldiers were no match for the heavy armored, professional armies of the Empire in an open field battle.

-Commander Phillida, scout reports suggest intense necromancer activity taking place in the catacombs of Greenhill.
    -Could those necromancers pose a serious threat?
    -There have been occasional skirmishes against our troops. It could get worse.
    -And let us not forget the Emperor’s stance against necromancy, now more than ever. So what are we dealing with exactly?
    -Reports indicate low rank necromancers who are raising the skeletons from the catacombs.
    -Sounds easy enough. I see no reason we do not intervene and eliminate them. Besides, if we capture the castle of Greenhill, we could really fortify our borders against any potential enemy Elvish action from Valenwood and beyond.
    -That would be very unwise, Commander, said Prince Ebbel. We are already in the brink of war with the Bosmer as it is, after we desecrated their forest, and you now want to desecrate their dead?
    -We desecrate their dead? What about the necromancers who raised them?
    -Let the Bosmer deal with it. We have no authority over other races’ dead.
    -Imperial law is very clear about necromancy, and people of all races should compile
    -You are making a mistake, and I refuse to follow you. My orders from my father was to retake Arenthia, and so did I. I am staying here to help the people rebuild and make Arenthia great.
    -As you wish my lord, but I am still going through with the plan. I won’t feel sorry when I reduce skeletons to dust. Bosmer, Imperial, Khajiti, or otherwise.

Characters

Last edited by Christonikos; May 20, 2019 at 02:00 AM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Hi, Christonikos!

This is a very dramatic start to your AAR. Phillida seems determined to stir up as much trouble as possible, doesn't he? I'm intrigued to know whether his 'elimination' of the necromancers will provoke a war...

Imperial Missive
    [Excerpt from the missive written by Imperial Diplomat Angoril, requesting help from Alinor.]

Dear allies,

As you will have been informed already, the Kingdom of Valenwood has declared war on the Third Empire. The war is of religious nature against the Cyrodilics and the enemy is showcasing a religious zeal and fanaticism even their Dunmer brethren would envy. Their request is one and only. The departure of the Imperial Legion from Valenwood as retaliation for the sacrilege in Reaper’s March. In order to avoid unnecessary bloodshed, the Emperor has ordered the Legion to evacuate deep and south Valenwood. The armies of Bosmer are already laying siege at Marbruk, the Imperial administration centre in Valenwood and the rest of their armies are marching towards Southpoint, the Imperial Legion’s base of operations in the area.
    On behalf of the general of the Imperial Legion in Valenwood, General Vlanarus, I request refuge for the Imperial population of Valenwood in Summerset Isles, in the city of Dusk. May the City of Light be a beacon of hope for the poor souls escaping the horrors of Marbruk. Furthermore, I request protection and safe passage for the Imperial Legion in Grahtwood, until they reach Elsweyr and the port of Senchal from where they will set sail towards Black March and help with the war efforts of the Empire against the Argonians. In exchange, Southpoint will be given to your direct control, so that the local population stays safe from possible atrocities and you, our Altmer allies, can execute administrative duties in the region. The Emperor hopes you can restore and keep the peace in the province and eventually remove the Bosmer radical elements responsible for the aggression.
    May the Nine Divines guide us.

Characters
    Locations
    South Valenwood under attack

City of Dusk, after settlement exchange

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Hey, an Elder Scrolls AAR? Great!

I love the formatting and the font, you've clearly put a lot of effort into those. Best of luck with this, if I have the time I shall pop by, I have played Skyrim but am blissfully unaware of the other goings-on in the rest of Nirn.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Great idea for an AAR, and you set the scene well with the intriguing comments about altermative time-lines and the action which follows the bold plan of the Emperor.

Phillida is a great character, it sounds like his iron determination will cause serious problems for the Empire.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

A very interesting concept Christonikos! Like those who came before me I think Phillida is a very brash character and seems to have no regard for anything if it stands in the way of achieving his goal. I too am worried what this will mean for the future of the Empire.

Death of a saint

(A reconstruction of the event from the investigation conducted by the Arenthia City Guard and the Blades, 3E 433)

-Good morning my lord, said the servant as he was bringing the Prince’s breakfast to his room.
    The prince had already waken up and seemed relaxed, enjoying the beautiful weather.
    -Good morning to you too, replied the Prince, oblivious of his fate later that morning. Leave the tray over there, by the desk.
    The servant closed the door behind him, approached the Prince and left the tray on the desk.
    -Enjoy your breakfast, my lord.
    -Thank you… Wait a moment. How come I don’t remember you? Are you new here?
    -Errr, yes my lord. It’s my first day actually. The cook asked me to deliver the tray to you, just moments ago. I did something wrong?
    The servant was getting nervous, but the Prince immediately calmed him down.
    -No, of course not. Come, stay here for a moment and look out from the window with me. You know, we have been very lucky, you and me, thank the Nine. After the Imperial Legion departed from Valenwood, except for us in Reaper’s March of course, there has been only peace and prosperity in the region. All over Tamriel, there had been wars and destruction. First the Argonians, then the Sunguard rebellion in Skyrim. And now, the Khajit are fighting among themselves, the Redguards are fighting among themselves, the Great Houses of Morrowind, or what’s left of them are still fighting among themselves. Did you know, they are still waiting for some kind of hero from the past to unite all Houses? And yet here we are, enjoying this wonderful morning in Arenthia.

Once he finished talking, he sat down and started eating his breakfast. It was a very plain breakfast for a royal man like himself, but the Prince never was a man of pleasures and luxuries. This morning he had hot apple pie with a cup of milk. Always accompanied by a small sweetroll. The servant was nervously waiting by the door, watching the Prince as he was having his last bite. As he stood up and walked towards the window, the prince was suddenly paralyzed.
    -Something’s wrong, he said. I can’t move my body, my legs, my arms. Help! Go out and call the court mage for help.
    -Nothing’s wrong. You ‘ve been paralyzed by poison and will soon die. You may keep screaming for help, but the doors behind us are locked and nobody will come to save you.
    -Who are you?
    -Does it matter what my name is? I am a member of the Mythic Dawn and a Bosmer.
    -Why are you doing this?
    -Why Mythic Dawn are doing this or why I am doing this? When all Septims die, and there is no dragonborn emperor on the throne, the Dragonfires will fade and the Gates of Oblivion will open up for Mehrunes Dagon to return and take back what is rightfully his.
    -You are a lunatic. You are dooming us all.
    -To be honest with you, I couldn’t care less for Camoran’s plan. I ‘m doing this for me.
    -But why?
    -Look out the window. Look beyond the wall and tell me what do you see?
    -I see a green field, I see the mountains, I see Cyrodiil.
    -Where you see the green fields, I saw the forest. My father saw the forest. All my ancestors saw the forest. Where you can now see Cyrodiil, we could only see Valenwood.
    -We made a mistake. I made a mistake. But for the past five years I ‘ve been here as governor, I am trying to make up for this. I am really trying to atone for my sins. Thanks to me, Arenthia has become a model city for the whole Empire. Humans, Elves and Khajiti are all getting along living in harmony. The city is thriving. Arenthia is now the third largest city of the Empire and almost as rich as the Imperial City.
    -Your people slaughtered my kin, killed my father, and looted our dead. You call that peace?
    -If you walk out this door, I swear I will grant you a pardon. If I die, chaos will ensue. People will fight in the streets. People will die in the streets. Arenthia will be lost in obscurity again. Is this the peace you are fighting for?
    -There will never be peace in Valenwood and Arenthia until all Imperials have left. Until you pay for your sins. And I will finally find my peace at Mankar Camoran’s Paradise, along with the rest of Mythic Dawn.
    -Let me help you my child
    -Your people may call you a saint, but for me you are no different than a Daedra Lord. Any last words before Oblivion breaks loose?
    -We did this, we brought this to ourselves
    The young Bosmer assassin took out his blade and stabbed the Prince. His paralyzed body hit the floor like a tree being cut. The assassin then jumped out of the window and escaped with the help of his fellow Mythic Dawn partners. He was never found or seen again.

Characters and Location

For a moment, I was confused about why the servant would say that he was a Bosmer (I was thinking, wouldn't this be obvious) but then I realised its significance here.

The line about 'slaughtering our kin ... You call that peace?' looks like a nice allusion to the famous saying about Romans ('they make a desert and call it peace') - I like this.

I wonder what the consequences of this event will be. Good update!

Content Emeritus

A sad end to a man who tried to do right the wrong he didn't even wanted to be a part of so many years ago. Some things can not be forgiven it seems.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'm glad you added in a sweetroll! Gotta keep the memes alive, you know Damn the Mythic Dawn! Always meddling in the realm's affairs...

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Conquering Argonia: Councilor Ocato’s account

Every Province of Tamriel has its secret histories, but no land in the Empire is as undocumented and unexplored as Black Marsh. We know that Topal the Pilot and other early Aldmeri explorers passed through the "fetid, evil swamp lands and their human lizards," suggesting an early primitive species that might be related to the modern day Argonians. By the phrasing of the poet's words, it is also clear that Black Marsh had begun its long tradition of being a place no one would want to live in, man or mer, which it maintains into the present day.

Black Marsh's position in the Third Era has been much the same as it has been throughout the other times in history. The Empire finds strategic benefit in holding the coasts, and keeps its most dangerous criminals in Blackrose and other dungeons closer to its interior. The heart of Black Marsh remains the sole province of the reptilian Argonians, and any further annexation of this area by Imperial forces seems unlikely.

Current Events

Black Marsh continues to be a "backward" land economically by Imperial standards. Most of the agriculture is grown by subsistence farmers, though recently more has been shipped abroad, of Tamriel. Banditry appears to be on the decline in recent years, with most criminal acts being perpetrated not by outsiders, but by natives, such as the "Naga" thugs of Argonian stock. Rumors persists [sic] of gangs such as these smuggling powerful drugs across the borders of Black Marsh, but this has remained unproven to this day. Still, the Emperor's fleet guards the Topal Bay carefully, protecting merchants from the pirates who have never truly been eliminated.
    Imperials continue to rule in the Empire's name along the coastal cities of the Province, but most have native Argonians as advisors. These Archeins also act as governors in the rural areas that still make up the majority of Black Marsh. Beyond the reach of the Empire, there is little supervision of the inner swamplands, and it is unknown whether or not these areas even recognize Imperial rule of the Province.
    Since the abolishment of slavery, Black Marsh's relationship with its northern neighbor Morrowind has been much improved, though border clashes continue as Argonians have begun to reclaim land conquered during the Arnesian War. There have also been reports of minor skirmishes with Imperial troops along the coastal regions, but it is not believed that there is any threat posed by these isolated incidents.
    More troubling is the recent prison break at the formidable Blackrose Prison. Though it has since been sealed and its weak points mended, some of the worst murderers, thieves, and political revolutionaries had already escaped into the swamps. It is believed unlikely that any of them could have survived the cruel, dangerous lands of inner Black Marsh.
    -From Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition

When Tiber Septim established the 3rd Empire by unifying whole Tamriel and defined the start of a new era, the province of Black Marsh, also known by her older name Argonia, had never been invaded by Imperial troops.
    That task eventually would fall upon his descendant and last Emperor of the Septim Dynasty, Uriel Septim VII. The years before the Oblivion crisis, the Argonians all over Tamriel were recalled by the Hist to return to their homeland. Instinctively they followed the visions and large numbers of Argonian people eventually gathered at Black Marsh, not knowing , they or anyone else, the real reason behind this, which was later proved to be the defense against the Daedra invasion of Mehrunes Dagon.
    As more and more lizard-men came, problems began to arise. The province was now overpopulated. Argonians who left everything behind to answer the call of the Hist, started turning to banditry and skirmishes against the Empire and House Dres of the Dunmer dramatically increased. The Imperial governor, stationed at the southernmost island of Lilimoth had lost all control over the province. Law enforcement on the mainland was non-existent anymore, and violent tensions began to arise. It would seem the Hist, had warned the Argonians a bit earlier than it should.
    The An-Xileel, an anti-imperial political party in Black Marsh could finally take advantage of the situation and set in motion their plans. They became the prominent political force in the province and brought the Argonians to war against the neighboring races.
    The first grand scale attack against the Empire commenced on 3E 430, against the recently restored fort of BlueBlood. Fort Cuptor followed soon after. It seemed like the Empire had been caught by surprise.

The news reached Imperial City and the Emperor called immediately myself and the rest of the Elder Council for a meeting.
    -As you already know, we are now at war with the Argonians. The province of Black Marsh has declared its independence from the Empire and launched an assault towards our forts at our eastern borders. But fear not, as that was expected. Councilor Ocato will explain to you how.
    -When imperial troops recaptured Fort Blueblood, they recovered Seer’s Stone, a magical amulet belonging to the headmaster of Leyawin’s Mage’s Guild quarter, Bosmer battlemage Dagail. Dagail, master of mysticism was able to make use of Seer’s Stone and receive visions of the upcoming Argonian assault.
    -Therefore, a plan has already been orchestrated. Since commander Phillida is still in Valenwood, Councilor Ocato will be in charge of the military operations. His first task will be to recapture the fort of Blueblood driving all Argonian forces out of Cyrodiil. He will depart from the Imperial City with the Imperial Legion as soon as possible. When he disembarks in Blackwood, he will be joined by my son, Prince Reman and all the Imperial forces stationed at the west side of Niben river. In time reinforcements from Cheydinhal, Elsweyr and even Valenwood will arrive. We also count on Morrowind being dragged into the war, especially House Dres.

-And so the meeting is concluded. You are dismissed. Not you Battlemage Ocato, I need to talk to you before you leave for Black Marsh.
    After everyone had left the room, except for myself, the Emperor addressed me once more.
    -As you can understand, this is the greatest military operation the Empire has undertaken since the Tiber Wars. Are you sure you are up to the task?
    -Absolutely my Emperor. Everything will go as planned.
    -In every war, we have had the numbers on our side. This time things have turned around. You will have to make the best out of our legions.
    -I am aware of that. And I have complete confidence in our troops. They are no match for lizard tribesmen.
    -Do not underestimate our enemy, Councilor Ocato. The deeper you march into the marshes of Argonia, the tougher it will get. Those tribesmen, as you call them, have been born in the mud, they live in mud houses, and they will spill all their blood to the mud to defend against the invaders.
    -Everything will go according to the plan. I am sure the advantage provided by our battlemage detachment will be more than enough to turn the fights to our favor. But I believe revising the plan and our strategy is not the real reason I am here now.
    -Nothing ever gets past you, Battlemage. There is a political matter we should also discuss. This war is the perfect opportunity to consolidate the power of the Empire and the legacy of Septim Dynasty. But I am an old man now, and the end is near. I ‘ve seen it in my dreams. But my elder son, Prince Geldall will become the Emperor, and he should gain all the glory of this conquest if he is to be accepted by the people as a true heir to the throne. It might be the only way future conflicts for the throne between him and his brothers are avoided. So in the eyes of the public, Prince Geldall is in charge. Do you understand?
    -Totally, my Emperor. Besides I also believe Prince Geldall is nonetheless able for the task. I am sure once he is done with the Siege of Rimmen, he will reach the heart of Black Marsh with his legions.
    -After the war is over, you will stay alongside him in Black Marsh, until order has been restored in the province and this time Imperial Law will be enforced. You are dismissed.

And so in the morning, I left the Imperial City with the Legion. Heavy imperial pikemen, swordsmen and battlemages made up the initial force. The reserves would join us as we stopped at the port of Bravil for resupply. Finally we reached Blackwood, where we were joined by 2 heavy cavalry battalions from Leyawin, led by commanders Hierem Artorius and Brucius Kvinchal.
    Although we were supposed to retake fort Bluelood from the Argonians, we marched first to Fort Doublecross to deal with the Argonian force besieging the fort. We were not expecting the An-Xileel invaders to have moved so fast. The 3rd Legion however led by Dorald Jarol, stormed out and dealt with the threat before we arrive.
    Dorald Jarol, commander of Fort Doublecross was a very ambitious and cunning man, who somehow later managed to take all credit for the conquest of Black Marsh and would most likely have been the new emperor after Septim Dynasty perished, had he not himself died during the events of Oblivion crisis.
    We combined forces, and marched towards our initial goal, Blueblood. Once siege equipment arrived from Leyawin, we began the siege.
    It seemed like an easy task. We had the number superiority, the necessary equipment and we were well supplied. Prince Geldall had already captured the city of Gideon and preparing his next move.
    A surprise awaited us though. Suddenly we were surrounded by three Argonian armies.
    -It’s an ambush, shouted general Dorald. They are coming from the woods.
    -They are moving from the woods to the South as well. We are cut off, we cannot escape, shouted commander Hierem.
    -Look they are opening the gates. The besieged are storming out. Councilor, we are surrounded, said Brucius.
    -Fear not, generals. Run to the hill. Run as if your life depends on that. It’s our only hope. Get out of the trees, and go atop the hill. Run!
    The troops made it to the hill on time. Once on top, they began deploying properly. Heavy Pikemen in front, auxiliary swordsmen and spearmen right behind them. Battlemages at the flanks supported by the cavalry. Standard Imperial formation.
    -And now we wait. If they just want to break the siege and retreat deeper, let them. Do not chase them. It’s not worth the risk. If they start climbing the hill, hold fast and repel them. The Emperor counts on you.
    When their archers get in range do not fear. Their arrows are no match for Imperial steel. But when their infantry reaches our pikes, then it’s the time to show them Imperial might! Then the battlemages will start raining fire upon them. Then the light infantry will charge onto them through the pikes and break through their lines. And it is then that the cavalry will charge at their unprotected reserves and eventually encircle them. And when we are done with them, we will face their second army, and their third, and any other army they can send. We will keep this hill in the name of the Emperor Uriel Septim VII, or die for him. Praise the Emperor, praise the Nine!
    In the end of the day, it was a glorious victory for the Empire. The Imperial army having the ground advantage repelled the attackers and chased them back to the woods. The Argonians were not prepared for the Imperial cavalry and the battlemages. Ultimately Blueblood had fallen, and this time would stay in imperial hands. It was the first great victory for the Empire in a series of many yet to come.

A year later, Ocato’s army, accompanied by generals Dorald Jarold and Brucius Kvinchal, laid siege on the town of Greenspring, which the An-Xileel were using as their capital. It was a big blow for them as the town fell almost without resistance to the Imperials. Besides, the main Argonian force had been driven to western Black Marsh as a result of the victories of Prince Geldall in the South and General Farwill Indaris in the North. Some would call those three men, the Tribunal of Black Marsh.
    Councilor Ocato, after public order was restored, returned to the city of Gideon, which would be used by the Imperials as the new administrative center of the province, thanks to its proximity to Cyrodiil and the Imperial City. Two more years would pass, until he would return to Imperial City, just on time before the Oblivion crisis broke loose.

Characters

Last edited by Christonikos; June 26, 2019 at 05:15 PM.

Content Emeritus

Councillor Ocato's confidence seems not to have been misplaced. I would've thought the conquest of Black March was going to be a hard-fought struggle. I liked the brief history of Argonia and it's people and the special connection the Argonians have with the Hist. It really added to the chapter's atmosphere and narrative.

I agree, I like the way that the set the scene before taking us into current events. It sounds like the Imperial armies are commanded by strong generals who know how to make full use of the different units.

Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I guess the Imperial Dragon won't be fracturing anytime soon here... A very good read, I enjoyed the exchange between the Emperor and the battlemage. I wonder if the heir will be up to the task once the Emperor is gone. Campaign wise you seem to have some solid generals there - best of luck with the campaign!

Just a minor thing - you have the battlemage saying 'They are no match for lizard tribesmen.' when referring to his legions being superior to the lizardmen. I believe it should be the other way around, if I'm not mistaken.

Eagerly waiting for more!

Conquering Argonia: Prince Geldall’s personal journal

Fredas, 28th of Hearthfire, 3E429
    At last we have taken the city of Rimmen. The siege went smoothly and the few remaining defenders were easily defeated on the field by the Imperial Legion. I can swear though that I saw some Tsaesci among their ranks. Maybe it was just ordinary humans in Akaviri armor, but if the rumors are true, there are still Tsaesci remnants from the first Akaviri invasion in the area. In time we should search for them in the mountains and try to incorporate them to the Imperial Legion.

Middas, 7th of Sun’s Dusk, 3E429
    Word got to me that the Argonians made their move against the Empire. They attacked Fort Blueblood, just like my father had warned me. The fort was deliberately undermanned, so we could launch a proper counter-attack, once reinforcements from the Imperial City arrived.

Middas, 5th of Evening Star, 3E429
    Councilor Ocato arrived at the port of Leyawiin. We agreed to a simultaneous attack to reclaim Western Blackwood and most importantly capture the city of Gideon. He is to drive back the Argonians from Cyrodiil, while I have to attack what might be the most important Argonian city.

Turdas, 20th of Evening Star, 3E430
    We landed at Southern Blackwood. Only a small force was waiting for us. It seemed like the Argonians were eager to fight us the moment we crossed the river. Why would they ever choose to fight us on open field, instead of waiting for us in the marshes in the mainland? It’s hard for me to believe they were caught completely off guard. Which means they are buying time. I ‘m ordering my Legions tomorrow on a forced march. I will go past Blueblood Fort and straight towards Gideon. Councilor Ocato is more than able to handle the situation all by himself at Blueblood.

Morndas, 2nd of Rain’s Hand, 3E430
    Crucial intelligence got to my hands today. Imperial scouts reported that part of Argonian reinforcements from the mainland reached the settlement of Gideon. Instead of manning the city walls though, preparing for a siege defense, they are marching towards the woods, preparing an ambush. Their plan is to let us set camp outside the city and begin the siege, and then attack us from behind, catching us off guard. But I have a surprise waiting for them.

Turdas, 5th of Rain’s Hand, 3E430
    When I was a child, my father used to take me to visit the Dwemer Orrery at the Arcane University. The Arch-Mage used to say to me, that when all parts were to be found and fitted correctly, it could reproduce the movement of Nirn, Masser and Secunda and all the planets in the night sky in perfect harmony. I never saw this magnificent ancient Dwemer machine working, but I can only imagine it would give me the same feel my legions gave me tonight.
    A complicated plan executed down to perfection. All men working together in perfect harmony, capturing the city of Gideon and defeating the Argonian army with absolutely minimal losses. Seems like I had made the right call to march as fast as possible towards Gideon. As the enemy reinforcements were taking their positions in the forest and camping for the night, I ordered my light Nibenese legionnaires to assault the unprotected city. When the news reached the Argonians in the forest, it was too late. The city had fallen in a matter of hours. The fact that Gideon’s population was in its majority favored towards the Empire made things very easy. When the disorganized Argonians finally formed and prepared for battle, heavy legionnaires had reached the city and regrouped with their light counterparts. The whole army was now ready to face head on the Argonians outside the city walls. The sun had just risen to the sky. The light armored Argonian army had no chance against the heavy military machine of the Imperial Legion. It was a matter of less than two hours before they started dropping their weapons and running back to the forest.

Middas, 27th of Midyear, 3E430
    Today I heard the troops cheering for the great Imperial victory at Fort Blueblood. Councilor Ocato had done it and now all Argonian resistance in western Black March was eliminated. The troops were celebrating, but I was wondering. What if? What if my messengers had reached Ocato in time informing him of the dirty An-Xileel ambush tactics? What if I hadn’t marched towards Gideon and had stayed in Blueblood instead, to help Ocato siege the fort together? His legions wouldn’t have been ambushed and many Cyrodiils would still be alive to fight another day and eventually go back home to their families and farms. Had I made the right call after all? And was my call based solely on military criteria, or was I just after the big prize and the glory of reclaiming Gideon?

Sundas, 11th of Sun’s Dusk, 3E430
    The more I march in this place, the more I fear it will become my grave. All this mud and dirt, it’s no wonder no civilization has really flourished here. Today my troops and I reached the town of Rockgrove. The was no resistance along the way, and we should begin the siege right away. It won’t take long until they either surrender, or we are able to storm the town. Meanwhile, General Vlanarus leading the Valenwood Imperial Legion and reinforcements from Elsweyr has begun his invasion in Southern Black Marsh and is besieging the almost undefended city of Soulrest, while General Adventus, Count of Lilmoth and general of the Imperial Legion in Black March is constantly harassing the An-Xileel from Southeast. He has even captured Rockpark, thus controlling fully the southern coast of Black Marsh. It would seem like the South has fallen, and the main Argonian army is in the North, near the borders with Morrowind. Seems like this dunmer general, Farwill Indaris, leading the Legion in the North will get his share of fighting. At least neither me nor him have to go through Murkmire. I really can’t believe there is a place worse than where we are right now. Some say Murkmire is worse than Oblivion and those goblins being worse than Daedra.

Loredas, 12th of Second Seed, 3E431
    The war should have been over by now. Imperial victories by General Farwill Indaris in the North alongside the great counter attack by House Dres should have brought the An-Xileel to their knees, begging for a peace treaty. Instead their fanaticism compares to that of their dunmer neighbors. Despite their army being defeated, their major cities in the deep mainland are still resisting and fighting to the last “man”. Greenspring and Seaspring are about to fall, while the city of Blackrose, which I am currently besieging seems to be the place were An-Xileel will make their last stand. Thankfully I ‘ve got my orders from the Emperor to go to the city of Archon and assume the role of Governor of Eastern Black Marsh. I will assume control of the East with Archon being my seat of power, while councilor Ocato will eventually do the same for the western part of Black Marsh from the city of Gideon.

Middas, 5th of Evening Star, 3E431
    At last. The war is over. Blackrose surrendered. Many loyal An-Xileel did not try to fight or run away, but rather preferred to give an end to their own lives, dying in their words “ as free Argonians rather than second class imperial citizens”. I ‘ve sent countless messages to my father asking him to let me leave Black Marsh. By the Nine, I hate this ugly place. I proposed to take my legions and go North and help with the House Wars of Morrowind. I asked him to move the Legion by sea and help against the Sunguard rebels in Skyrim. He is adamant. He says it’s of outmost importance to stabilize the situation in Blackmarsh, and only a Septim could accomplish that. He may be right, but all I ‘m doing here is fending off pirates. At least I made it alive. But still, something about this place is giving me the creeps. I can feel this place, the trees, trying to talk to me. I got a feeling something terrible is about to happen. I get the feeling I will never go back to Imperial City and see the Dwemer Orrery finally working.

This journal was retrieved by the Blades on Morndas, 27th of Last Seed, 3E433, after Prince Geldall The Honourable, was assassinated by members of Mythic Dawn, in the city of Archon.

Character and location screenshots will be added very soon.
    Personal comments: The Argonian Trilogy was uspposed to be done before summer break and now there would be a twisted revision of the events, but exams got heavily into the way. Anyways, I 'll try to keep this AAR as alive as I can.

Great update, I like the way that you convey the ebb and flow of the war. Prince Geldall's idea of surprising the would-be ambushers is a nicely done moment.

Content Emeritus

I agree with Alwyn, this is a great update! The description of Argonia and how it makes Prince Geldall feel are very authentic and well versed. I wouldn't want to go visit Argonia in any capacity after reading this. Really well done!

Path of Thorns
    A history of the rise of the Knights of the Thorn, by Bremman Senyan, fellow Knight of the Thorn, and close companion of Sir Farwil Indarys.

Path of Thorns is the name given to the campaign undertaken by the founder of the Knights of the Thorn, Sir Farwil Indarys, Duke of the city of Thorn, in the wars against An-Xileel of Black Marsh and House Dres of Morrowind. His heroic victories would establish him as the greatest General of the Imperial Legion in Black Marsh and his Knights of the Thorn as one of the legendary knightly orders in whole Tamriel.
    If Skyrim has the Companions, Daggerfall the Knights of Dragon, Cyrodiil the Knights of the Nine, Black Marsh and Morrowind have the Knights of the Thorn.
    The Knights of the Thorn had been formed by Farwil Indarys, son of Andel Indarys, count of Cheydinhal just a year before the war between the Empire and the province of Black Marsh. Before the war, not many people had heard of them, nor there were many members in their ranks. Even in the city of Cheydinhal where the order originated from and which they had "sworn to protect from any threat", the residents and the town guard did not hold them in high esteem.
    When the Emperor requested from the count of Cheydinhal to assemble the 15th Legion and march South to aid the war effort against the Argonians, the count’s son, Farwil Indarys was more than eager to lead this expedition with the rest of the Knights by his side.
    Calling Farwil’s troops a “legion” was an overstatement. They were a legion on paper, since they barely passed the requirements. Sure, there was heavy cavalry and light cavalry, barely. Heavy legionnaire infantry and archers, barely. In reality, most of the army consisted of light armored legionnaires and men from the town guard of Cheydinhal. All those men led of course by Farwil Indarys and his personal bodyguard of Knights of the Thorn.
    Besides, Farwil’s legion role was supposed to be supportive. He would act as the secondary imperial force, closely following and reinforcing Commander Terentius and the main force sent from the Imperial City.
    As their forces met over river Panther, they started marching alongside to the border towards Black Marsh. As they passed the border, a small force of Argonians started harassing Terentius’ main Imperial force. Eager to get rid of that nuisance, Terentius started chasing the enemy, leaving Farwil’s reserve force behind. The bait had worked and Imperials had fallen to the trap. Once the forces got separated, a large Argonian force emerged from the woods and moved towards Sir Farwil’s supposed legion.
    “Take positions on the hill”, Farwil immediately ordered his troops. “Heavy legionnaires at the center, light legionnaires at the flanks. The militia, stay behind the front line and cover the gaps”. As the enemy approached, Sir Farwil showed his true heroic virtue. He and his Knights of the Thorn charged down the hill head on towards the enemy army. The Argonians were caught by surprise. Only a mad man would not defend on top of the hill, but attack a superior force head on. They were surprised and unprepared. Their light archers and javelin men where ahead of the spearmen eager to get the first shots against the light imperial troops. There was nothing they could do against the charging heavy knights of Farwil Indarys. Until the infantry caught up, the Knights had inflicted huge casualties and the rest of imperial cavalry had swept through the fleeing Argonians. The rest of the legion, inspired by their commander’s might in battle, charged down the hill to battle the Argonians, taking advantage of the chaos in their ranks. In that chaos, Sir Farwil had regrouped his knights and the rest of the legionnaire cavalry and repositioned all the horses behind the enemy lines. When legionnaires and tribesmen clashed, Sir Farwil gave the order and charged the enemy from behind. It was Farwil Indarys’ first personal victory from many more to come.

As imperial resources ran thin and taking his great victory into account, Sir Farwil was promoted to the rank of General and his XV Legion was no more used as a supportive force. At Hissmir, his Legion stopped following Terentius, as he marched towards the port town of Alten Corimont to blockade any kind of An-Xileel resupply. After Chancellor Ocato’s, Prince Geldall’s and General Adventus’ main Black Marsh Legion’s wins in the South, House Dres’ counter attack on the city of Thorn, the remaining An-Xileel armies led one more final attack, in a desperate attempt to turn the tide of the war.
    First was Farwil Indarys able to see the huge pyramid stone temple of Hissmir, then the army of fanatic Hist-crazed Argonians in front of the Stone-Nest, or Xanmeer as the locals call those huge constructs. He was about to set camp and prepare for battle, when a second army of Argonians started appearing from far behind. “There is no time” he thought, “we will attack now and fight them one at a time”. But it was the Argonians who moved towards the Legion first. Overconfidence, or too high on Hist Sap? Either way Sir Farwil knew what he had to do. Reman Sweep Formation. He alongside his knights charged while the rest of the army guarded the rear. While the Knights of the Thorn charged the center of the enemy line, light legionnaires moved from the flanks and encircled the first Argonian force. The heavy Legionnaires on the rear and the courageous Cheydinhal guard held their lines long enough, until the heavy Imperial cavalry with the Knights of the Thorn at the tip of the spearhead, charged the second Argonian army from the flanks, sending them back to the mud swamps where they came from.
    Following the successful coup by Godess-Queen Almalexia over King Hlaalu Helesth in Mournhold, and the successful capture of Narsis, the capital of House Hlaalu, House Dres after having pushed House Hlaalu to obscurity again, decided to capitalize on their victories and turned against the exhausted Imperial Legion in Black Marsh. Even though Farwill Indarys had already made his reputation among the Argonians, his Dunmer brethren did not hold him in high esteem yet. Besides, for House Dres, Argonians were only good as slaves, not fighters, and raids against the Argonian settlements was common practice to acquire them. Despite the ban by the Empire on slavery across Tamriel, House Dres’ power was built almost exclusively on slaves trafficking.

The main Dres force in Black March was supposed to be stationed outside the village of Forsaken Hamlet, from which the battle took its name from. It was in this battle that Farwil Indarys made his name as a fighter, and not only as a leader, and the Knights of the Thorn as the greatest fighters in eastern Tamriel. There, the Knights of the Thorn singlehandedly charged and beat the whole Dres army, without support from the legionnaires. Sir Farwil spotted the Dres captain in the heat of battle, cut through the enemy line with his Knights and with a single blow killed the Dunmer leader. After that, he repeatedly charged the Dunmer army, invulnerable to the enemy arrows, and made them flee.
    However, the main army had already marched past the village, and sieged the Imperial Legion under command of Terentius in the Xanmeer of Hissmir, where they were trapped. Farwill Indarys saw that as an opportunity to take his army and march towards the city of Thorn, which was House Dres’ foothold on Black Marsh.
    The deciding battle of the campaign took place outside the city of Thorn. As Imperial Legion attacked from Vanderfell on the northern coasts of Morrowind, House Dres retreated to their capital, regrouped and decided on launching a big counter attack to lift the siege at Thorn and capture or kill the greatest general and warrior of the Empire. But when their armies arrived at the city, Imperial reinforcements from Valenwood had disembarked and waited for them. Outnumbered and underequipped, and fighting against Sir Farwil himself, the Dunmer quickly lost heart and retreated.
    In the city of Thorn, Sir Farwil Indarys, as the new Duke of the city, set up his Order’s Chapterhouse. Many new initiates, in order to prove their worth and join the ranks of the Knights, come from Cyrodiil following the same path. From the springs of river Panther, through the muddy swamps, passing the temples of Hissmir, and finally reaching Thorn, where Sir Farwil Indarys still resides.

Sir Farwil Indaris

Sir Farwil Indaris residing at Thorn years later

He has been called "the Honourable", "the Saint", "the Just" and "The Honest"

The Path of Thorns

Sir Farwill Indaris in his first battle against the Argonians

Last edited by Christonikos; November 23, 2020 at 01:32 PM.

Content Emeritus

Great to see another installment of this. Wonderful images as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast