Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65

Thread: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

  1. #21
    Lusitanio's Avatar Content Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    961

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    The Kingdom of Pontus is Persian, they're not even real Greeks! The Epirotes at least spoke northwestern Doric Greek, had Greek names, and Greek gods! I don't even care if we're still talking about Agema Phalangitai, you're introducing talk of other factions. HERESY! You DARE to mention something besides Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros???!!! Congratulations. I hope you're happy, because I've reanimated Pyrrhos of Epeiros and he is not happy about this. In fact, I gave him directions to your location. He should be arriving momentarily and there will be no mercy.


    He was going there but then decided to go to Sparta, but then gave up and went to Argos, he just can't decide on what to do and what to conquer!

  2. #22

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Lusitanio is correct: Pyrrhos is simply unplayable. I get rid of him from the very first turn in my campaigns with Epeiros. Non sense imho to build up a strong, stable kingdom from a guy like him (and I am a Pyrrhos fanboy yet)

  3. #23

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Can I get some advice in this thread on how to properly employ Agema Phalangitai of Epeiros in combat?

  4. #24

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by nvm View Post
    Can I get some advice in this thread on how to properly employ Agema Phalangitai of Epeiros in combat?
    Line them up, four phalagitai units, with Agema being the the one on the left flank where you can expect heaviest fighting, guard mode on, reserve infantry behind them ready to launch javelins and charge the enemy moving up on their flank, and use a bit of artillery to make the enemy come to you.

  5. #25
    Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    13,596

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cryoshakespeare View Post
    I for one welcome our new Agema Phalangitai overlords
    They are truly munificent, magnanimous, and magnificent if you choose to rightfully obey and worship them as the gods intended.

    Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Thank you for the reminder and the heads up about 2.4 not having them from the start. 2.35 it is then, obviously, if Agema Phalangitai is still available.

    As for the planned legislative changes in future releases, we were left with no other alternative than to form a new advocacy group called the "National Agema Phalangitai Association of Epeiros" (NAPAE). It will serve as a civil rights group lobbying for the rights of law-abiding individuals to own Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros units and to deploy them on the battlefield. It will also organize Agema Phalangitai events, promote Agema Phalangitai safety and provide Agema Phalangitai education. Roma_Victrix will serve as the first chairman.

    We are now planning our first campaign, the motto of which is provocatively "Secure the right to own Agema Phalangitai - the next War of Independence will not be fought with mediocre-looking units". All citizens of the EBII Forum who truly understand the difference between a regular sucky unit and an awesome-looking superior unit are welcome to participate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I'm in.

    AGEMA! AGEMA! AGEMA!
    [Bangs gavel.]

    The motion is ratified! All hail the Agema! The ones for Epeiros, that is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    He was going there but then decided to go to Sparta, but then gave up and went to Argos, he just can't decide on what to do and what to conquer!
    Pyrrhos should have chosen his Agema Phalangitai to guide him onto the righteous path to glory, then.

    Quote Originally Posted by nvm View Post
    Can I get some advice in this thread on how to properly employ Agema Phalangitai of Epeiros in combat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    Line them up, four phalagitai units, with Agema being the the one on the left flank where you can expect heaviest fighting, guard mode on, reserve infantry behind them ready to launch javelins and charge the enemy moving up on their flank, and use a bit of artillery to make the enemy come to you.
    Now that's how you fight a battle with Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros! You explained it masterfully, too, avoiding the naming of other units as it was explicitly stipulated in the opening post of my thread. BRAVO!

  6. #26

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I have some bad news for 2.4 - Epeiros is going to get a reworking of their governments, and you won't have access to them from the start. They'll require a (faction-specific) reform.
    (I get this is technically off-topic, so a preemptive and obligatory hail unto Epeirote Agema Phalangitai)
    I'm guessing this means Epeiros will be starting off more 'tribal' (I'll admit to not being the most versed in how the Epeirote kingdom worked, beyond 'other greeks considered them backwoods hillbillies'), before reforming into the more imperial model of Macedon/Ptolemaioi/Seleucids? Or is it something else entirely?

  7. #27
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,592

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Asdf View Post
    (I get this is technically off-topic, so a preemptive and obligatory hail unto Epeirote Agema Phalangitai)
    I'm guessing this means Epeiros will be starting off more 'tribal' (I'll admit to not being the most versed in how the Epeirote kingdom worked, beyond 'other greeks considered them backwoods hillbillies'), before reforming into the more imperial model of Macedon/Ptolemaioi/Seleucids? Or is it something else entirely?
    Correct, Epeiros is more like a tribal confederation held together by Pyrrhos' personal leadership at game start, centralisation is something that takes a concerted effort in a particular direction.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    So, will Epeiros be initially devoid of all Agema units, or just the phalangites?
    I recommend a pugio rather than a spear, because in close quarters combat, a dagger will serve you better than a spear.

    Rad, 2016.

  9. #29
    QuintusSertorius's Avatar EBII Hod Carrier
    Artifex

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    11,592

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    So, will Epeiros be initially devoid of all Agema units, or just the phalangites?
    No Agema until the centralisation reform which appoints the FL as Basileus of all the Apeirotai. That's when the Basilike Patris become available.

  10. #30
    Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    13,596

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Asdf View Post
    (I get this is technically off-topic, so a preemptive and obligatory hail unto Epeirote Agema Phalangitai)
    Your paltry tribute to the one true Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros, feeble as it is, has nevertheless been deemed sufficient by the council and by the chairman of the "National Agema Phalangitai Association of Epeiros" (NAPAE), as outlined by Septentrionalis. You were this close to getting a "NO!" and a pointing index finger at you, but I have decided to stay my hand for now, to allow this interesting conversation about Epeiros to proceed, because it concerns the recruitment of the Agema Phalangitai.

    I'm guessing this means Epeiros will be starting off more 'tribal' (I'll admit to not being the most versed in how the Epeirote kingdom worked, beyond 'other greeks considered them backwoods hillbillies'), before reforming into the more imperial model of Macedon/Ptolemaioi/Seleucids? Or is it something else entirely?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    Correct, Epeiros is more like a tribal confederation held together by Pyrrhos' personal leadership at game start, centralisation is something that takes a concerted effort in a particular direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    So, will Epeiros be initially devoid of all Agema units, or just the phalangites?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    No Agema until the centralisation reform which appoints the FL as Basileus of all the Apeirotai. That's when the Basilike Patris become available.
    So it's just the one unit, then, Agema Phalangitai? You can still recruit phalangitai plus Hypaspistai and Makedones Peltastai? I mean, it would be ridiculous if you couldn't recruit Hypaspistai right away, seeing how they disappear from recruitment options entirely once the Thorakitai reforms arrive in the 220s BC. At least the Agema Phalangitai can still be recruited afterwards, although one has to be careful with other phalangitai, if I remember correctly, because the final Greek colonization building actually eliminates phalangitai altogether, doesn't it? I vaguely remember avoiding the building of the final Greek colony building for that reason, although I guess regional varieties of phalangitai would still exist like the Deuteroi in Greece, the Machimoi in Egypt, the Pantodapoi in Anatolia, Misthophoroi Phalangitai mercenary phalanx pikemen around the eastern Mediterranean, and of course the beloved Agema Phalangitai in dynastic administrations (which can also be built outside of Greece in Taras, Magna Graecia, aka southern Italy, as I've recently done).

  11. #31

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    the Molosson Agema and the Hypapistai will still be available pre-reform or only later on?

  12. #32

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Meanwhile, back in EB I...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190603191127_1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	815.3 KB 
ID:	358346

  13. #33
    Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    13,596

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rospokadu View Post
    Meanwhile, back in EB I...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190603191127_1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	815.3 KB 
ID:	358346
    That's technically Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros, even if it's EBI, not EBII, so I won't vaporize you or your post. Consider yourself lucky, comrade. I'll let it slide this once. But from now on, nothing but the beautiful Agema Phalangitai from EBII.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tanavar View Post
    the Molosson Agema and the Hypapistai will still be available pre-reform or only later on?
    Someone tricked me on the previous page into suddenly talking about Hypaspistai, in my thread where we only talk about and glorify Agema Phalangitai... and do you know what I said to them? What I told them?

    I said NO!!!!


  14. #34

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    As long as they say "yes, strappy horse" I'm fine with them.
    ORANGE MAN BAD

  15. #35

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Roma_Victrix must have a fetish for colorful and garish parade floats, a perfect way to describe such units.

    It's the Roman units who have the best aesthetic in the game. A perfect function of practicality and eye-catching looks.



    Last edited by Tactics Mayers; July 22, 2019 at 04:04 AM.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    It's the Roman units who have the best aesthetic in the game.
    Oh boy. Your reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

  17. #37
    Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    13,596

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    As long as they say "yes, strappy horse" I'm fine with them.
    I'm not even sure which command this is that you're hearing, because I never hear Greek cavalry say anything remotely similar when I click on them, and also NO!



    This thread is about Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros so NO! I SAID NO! I am content, however, that you have decided to offer your acceptance of the Agema.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tactics Mayers View Post
    Roma_Victrix must have a fetish for colorful and garish parade floats, a perfect way to describe such units.

    It's the Roman units who have the best aesthetic in the game. A perfect function of practicality and eye-catching looks.



    [Inhales deeply, raises hand with pointed finger, cheeks turning red, face ballooning about to burst, a deep growl building up, and then]:

    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SAID NO!!!!!!!



    I love the Roman Marian units as much as the next guy, but this thread is about the Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros and how their shields are totally awesome. If you can't understand that then I guess my reply to you is NO! I SAID NO!

    Vaporized.

  18. #38

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I'm not even sure which command this is that you're hearing, because I never hear Greek cavalry say anything remotely similar when I click on them, and also NO!
    Strappy horse is for Stratęgos I suppose
    Mouzafphaerre, aka Urwendur, Urwendil...

  19. #39

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Yeah, some of the voice lines are hilarious if you're playing while sleepy (Protip: don't do that!). I can't help hearing my Gallic spy saying "Two-way Yalus," (with Yalus being a level of walls), so I'm just imagining him making sure that a wall works, then stepping around it and making sure it still works from the other side.

    Regarding the OP: I agree. Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros are very pretty. A shame they usually all get surrounded and die when I stomp an Epeirote army...
    Last edited by Dargaron; July 28, 2019 at 06:52 PM.

  20. #40
    Roma_Victrix's Avatar Gatorade, is it in you?
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    13,596

    Default Re: Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros is the best looking unit in the game, and you're not allowed to disagree in this thread. That's right. I said NO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dargaron View Post
    Yeah, some of the voice lines are hilarious if you're playing while sleepy (Protip: don't do that!). I can't help hearing my Gallic spy saying "Two-way Yalus," (with Yalus being a level of walls), so I'm just imagining him making sure that a wall works, then stepping around it and making sure it still works from the other side.

    Regarding the OP: I agree. Agema Phalangitai for Epeiros are very pretty. A shame they usually all get surrounded and die when I stomp an Epeirote army...
    Agreed! I have serious regret, guilt, and shame for playing a new Koinon Hellenon campaign and killing the Agema Phalangitai not just for Macedon, but for Epeiros as well. Such a travesty! It feels I just killed a majestic bald eagle or some other gorgeous and amazing endanger species, and now I need to hurl and vomit hard into the toilet bowl in absolute disgust at myself. What have I become? What have I done?

    The only way to atone for this is to start a new Epeiros campaign and ensure that Agema Phalangitai reign supreme everywhere from now on.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •