Thread: MAARC LXXXIII - the submissions and nominations thread!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default MAARC LXXXIII - the submissions and nominations thread!

Creative Workshop Competitions - Check out our sister competitions here on TWC! << Picture of the Week | Tale of the Week | Writers' Study General Competitions | Graphics Workshop Monthly Competition >>

Image by cedric37.

This is the submission/nomination thread for MAARC LXXXIII!

Eligibility

Two updates are needed since May 1, 2019.

Only one entry per person.
    Please note that entries with more than one author are considered to be entries for all the co-authors.
    If one of the co-authors of a submission wants to submit an AAR they have written individually, they may do so,
    but WS staff will withdraw the co-authored AAR from the competition if this happens.

The first place winner in the previous competition cannot enter this one.

Only work that is posted on TWC is eligible to enter.

Writers' Study Staff have discretion to disqualify nominations where it would be unfair to allow them to enter, for example in cases of plagiarism.

If you have a question or want to check whether an entry is eligible, please send a private message to a member of the Writers' Study Staff.

Advertising

Advertising the competition is allowed. Inviting people to submit their writing is okay.

Asking for votes for a particular submission is not allowed and will result in disqualification.

Breaking the rules will result in measures at the discretion of the Writers' Study Staff.

Submissions

Authors are encouraged to submit their own work.

To enter, post on this thread with all of the following information:
    • the author's name
    • the title (with a link to the thread)
    • a short description/teaser
    • the game(s) used
    • details (if applicable) of mod(s) used
    • details (if applicable) of faction

If you want to nominate someone else's AAR, you must ask for (and obtain) their permission before posting the nomination.

Voting

Six entries are needed to run a regular competition.

If, after a month, we have fewer than six entries, then we wait until there are three or more submissions.

Awards

• 4 points for the Winner
    • 3 points for Second Place
    • 2 points for Third Place

If the competition has fewer than six entries, then first place will receive three points and second place will receive two.

Where a co-authored AAR wins Writers' Study Competition points, those points will be divided between all the co-authors equally. If that division results in each author receiving a fraction of a point, then each author will receive no points for a fraction less than one-half, or 1 point for a fraction of one-half or more.
    For instance, if 3 points are divided between 2 authors, dividing the points equally gives each author one and a half points. The half is rounded up, so each author actually receives 2 points.

Points are accumulated towards the awarding of the Writers' Study Competition Medals.

• 6 points - bronze medal
    • 12 points - silver medal
    • 24 points - gold medal

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: MAARC LXXXIII - the submissions and nominations thread!

Author: Cookiegod (obviously)
    Title: Of Wolves and Blobtits
    Teaser: The shortest AAR for the contest with the longest abbreviation!
    Game: Witcher 3
    Faction: TEMERIA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Campidoctor

Author: Derc (obviously)
    Title: Derc Plays Through World History
    Description:
    Extended Description

- You are my AARtist but I have done all I can to inspire you.

- The mods smile on you, Derc, you're a good let's player.

- I'm a writer...!

- We don't need more writers. It's not more words in the threads that will change the forums. The Writer's Study is dying.

- Why do you think Swaeft favoured you so?

- I was funny.

- No, Derc. He saw in you the potential to continue his legacy. Not to follow him - to exceed him.

- Cookiegod cannot be trusted. His heart lies in procrastination.

We must confront the reality that MAARC is inevitable.

- And how will inkshed save the people of the Writer's Study?

- You are not meant to save them. You are meant to lead them.

- All men are troubled when their moment has come.

- I am NOT Swaeft! I don't have his creativity...!

- The people loved him. And they will love you.

- You can't think like an ordinary man. You must reach beyond mortal ambition and do what has never been done!

- To survive, my AARtist, Writer's Study must have a winner.

'Derc Plays Through History', the AAR with a focus on pictures instead of words, visits one of the most interesting eras in history. The year is 41 BCE. Ceasar is dead and Rome plunges into civil war. In the midst between all these would-be emperors sits Pompey, longing for revenge, trying to restore the Republic ... and do so much more.

It was a time when personalities such as Octavian, Marc Antony and Cleopatra roamed the earth. None of them knew that everything would be overshadowed by another event just a few decades later - the advent of Christ.

Game: Several. Currently Rome II (Imperator Augustus Campaign).
    Faction: Several. Currently Pompey's Rome.

Author: Kilo11 (obviously)
    Title: Written in Sand
    Description: "Written in Sand", the AAR with a focus on words instead of pictures, visits one of the most interesting eras in history. The year is 272 B.C.E. Alexander is dead and his generals have plunged his empire into a series of civil wars. In the midst of these would-be emperors sits the Nabati, longing for revenge, trying to restore their lost place... and so much more.

It was a time when personalities such as Antiochus, Ptolemy, and Epirus roamed the earth. None of them knew that everything would be overshadowed by another event just a few decades later - the ascendency of Rome.

Proper Description that doesn't rely on plagiarizing Derc's from above : Alexander's armies broke the might of the East, but the greed of Greek hearts could not be contained, and with Alexander's death his empire was consumed by rivalry and ambition. As the western invaders worry one another in their long-standing feuds a new power is rising, a power born of the sands and hot expanse of the desert. Out of Rekem (Petra) the Nabati are rallying. They will unite the tribes of Arabia and lead them in a final stand against the arrogant Greeks who dare to call themselves "master". They will show them the price of tyranny.

Game: Medieval II
    Mods: Europa Barbarorum II (download and installation instructions)
    Faction: Malkuta Ha'Nabati (Nabataeans)
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

EDIT 2: And now I'm unwithdrawing my placeholder, see my post below. And sorry for the hassle.

EDIT: Withdrawing my Placeholder submission, as having some issues with the next chapter (I just can't get it the way I want it,) and don't want to hold things up for the rest of you.

Placeholder submission. (Next chapter is nearly finished, so I hope to post in in the next few days and to then be eligible. But no guarantees, so if you want to move on with this months MAARC then please do so.)

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Last edited by Welsh Dragon; June 24, 2019 at 05:15 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

New Town
    (Carthage AAR using Rome II)
    by Alwyn

At Aracillum in northern Iberia, Admago’s new army, the Defenders of Iberia, were tested in battle for the first time. Admago sent his small force of Libyan spearman and swordsmen across an open plain, in full view of the Lusitani guards watching from the town ...

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Well, didn't think I'd manage it, but with some encouragement and another new chapter since May 1st, it seems I'm now elligable again.

My Entry:

Author's Name:
    Welsh Dragon.

Title:
    "Toutatis Favours the Brave"

Teaser:

"The story of the Nervii continues. Boduognatus and his warriors have survived their first challenge, but their future is still not set in stone. Prophecy says four men are destined to decide the fate of all Gaul, and it is said that Boduognatus is one of them. But prophecy is a fickle mistress.... Facing political challenges at home, and with both new enemies and perhaps allies amassing in the south, will the bravest of Belgae fall before another tribe? Or could the danger be closer to home?"

Game:
    Rome 2

Details of Mods:

Initially the following:
    A More Aggressive AI byRon Burgundy (aka Turquoise_Falcon)
    More AI Armies by RonBurgundy
    The Great Politics Overhaul by Ron Burgundy (contains Influence_50x by Octavius and Attila Politics and Civil War by HappyCompy.)
    Rebalanced AI Recruitment by Setrus
    Patch 17 Data Typos by Bruce_R and other Community Members.
    Zoom All the Way Down by Re’goso

Later chapters will be using a different setup due to patching, save game corruption and restarting the campaign.

Details of Faction:

The Nervii in Caesar in Gaul Campaign, Hard/Hard difficulty.

As always good luck to everyone involved. And I look forward to reading your stories.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.