Page 83 of 118 FirstFirst ... 3358737475767778798081828384858687888990919293108 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 2355

Thread: The latest anti-liberal rant thread (get your daily dose here)

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Default Re: The latest anti-liberal rant thread (get your daily dose here)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    I suppose she prefers the BP had simply ridden over people like cavalry in the old days, instead of trying to deter them through the sort of means parents use on children.
    Right, because parents whipping their children and forcing them into water is a usual deterrent sane parents use on their children. I guarantee we're not gonna see border patrol riding like cowboy cosplayers into the at least 16,000 undocumented Irish immigrants, or the hundreds of undocumented Canadians crossing the border, whipping them and forcing them into water. One would have to be blind or willfully ignorant to deny the clear role that racism plays in the reaction to the Haitian asylum seekers.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    Right, because parents whipping their children and forcing them into water is a usual deterrent sane parents use on their children. I guarantee we're not gonna see border patrol riding like cowboy cosplayers into the at least 16,000 undocumented Irish immigrants, or the hundreds of undocumented Canadians crossing the border, whipping them and forcing them into water. One would have to be blind or willfully ignorant to deny the clear role that racism plays in the reaction to the Haitian asylum seekers.
    I’ll put aside the false comparison to people overstaying a visa or a few hundred people over the course of a year being apprehended vs thousands illegally crossing the border en masse, and “muh racism,” because that’s self explanatory to any objective observer. As someone who got chased down with the belt and the wooden spoon a fair bit in my day, I can assure you that being enslaved to hard labor for life is worlds apart. In any case, “thousands” of Haitian migrants are being released “on a large scale” to roam free in the US, with court dates they probably won’t show up for. Seething over images of some BP trying to do their job and uh, patrol the border, is just the usual type of outrage pr0n Democrats love. Problem is, Trump isn’t around to blame anymore.

Many Haitian migrants camped in a small Texas border town are being released in the United States, two U.S. officials said Tuesday, undercutting the Biden administration’s public statements that the thousands in the camp faced immediate expulsion.

Haitians have been freed on a “very, very large scale” in recent days, according to one U.S. official with direct knowledge of operations. The official, who was not authorized to discuss the matter and thus spoke on condition of anonymity, put the figure in the thousands.

https://apnews.com/article/haiti-mig...fd691ecedd8211
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; September 23, 2021 at 10:29 AM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Those weren't whips anyway. The BP horsemen use Western saddles with western reins. Those reins don't make a single connected loop like a European-style set of reins, but instead are long separate stands that are crossed over one another in the hand of the rider (which allows micro-control while leaving one hand free for the rider to perform work, traditionally like lassoing or etc.), with each strand being looped to the each respective side of the horse bit, or the bar that goes in the horse's mouth that grants the reins control. They look like whips because the ends droop towards the sides of the rider, but you can't actually hit people with them, or at least not very hard.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

They look like whips because the ends droop towards the sides of the rider, but you can't actually hit people with them, or at least not very hard.
    As someone who spent much of my childhood on horseback, I can confirm. What the images in question actually reveal is the lengths to which BP agents were evidently going in order to avoid seriously harming these migrants, restraining their horses, leaning over the side and trying to grab/swat at them.

The strained look on the agents’ faces is likely an indication of this effort, because leaning over to the side like that, especially with one foot out of the stirrup, makes it harder to stay in the saddle, and consequently reduces any physical leverage the rider may have. By grabbing at/swatting these migrants in such a way, it can easily by deduced that the riders were probably more likely to fall off and injure themselves than to physically harm their targets, who should not be here in the first place. Rather than “cosplayers” on a power trip, the way these agents handled the situation depicted suggests they have enough experience and skill handling horses to pull that off, and showed laudable restraint. As usual, the Democrats are just trying to distract from their own failed border policies, removing all context in order to create a fake “muh racism” controversy about evil rednecks sending the proverbial hounds after innocent black people.
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; September 23, 2021 at 12:40 PM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thesaurian View Post
    In any case, “thousands” of Haitian migrants are being released “on a large scale” to roam free in the US, with court dates they probably won’t show up for.
    At least they are being given their jabs, right?... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    At least they are being given their jabs, right?... right?
    Nah because see they are just visiting but also not staying long but also not like the international travelers who have to be vaccinated/get tested.

Praeses

Its a shame the refugees and others crossing the border there were walking with their kids past horses, putting them at risk: I mean the whole journey is a gamble.

Lashing the families with reins is a bad look, but no doubt the patrolmen are caught between idiot politicians and the reality of a nasty job.

Its a bit weird to quibble that one can't whip with a rein, I mean, you can hit some one with a leather strip and an ordinary person would call that whipping.

Shame the border patrol won't get to ride horses for a bit, politics is pretty weird.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Its a bit weird to quibble that one can't whip with a rein, I mean, you can hit some one with a leather strip and an ordinary person would call that whipping.
    Except that this strip is an extension of the reins and can't practically be used for whipping. Horses (especially well-trained ones) are very sensitive to how the rein interacts with the bit, and reins command for both speed and direction, so riders learn to conserve their movements in the hand grasping the rein to avoid giving the horse the wrong commands. One of the first things a rider needs to learn is the muscle memory to keep the reins low to maximize control over the horse and ensure correct signaling.

The rein must also generally be held low and to the center of the horse except when making hard turns, but to strike a whip hard, your hand needs to take a high arching stance before swinging back to crash down upon the target, so there isn't much significant leverage to use to meaningful strike a person with those reins. In the second image Lord Thesaurian showed in his last post, that is a very odd position to swing a whip from, but is consistent with commanding the horse into a hard right left turn. The rein is also beneath your fist, making it hard to impart energy into the strike, so the best you can do is to use it flick people, if you can even accurately control the direction at all.
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; September 24, 2021 at 11:39 PM.

The alleged whipping photos remind me of these pics from East Jerusalem...

How the scene appeared in the news:

How the situation looked in context:

Now you have Israeli police in a standoff with protestors:

But in context:

Photojournalists have incentive to create or exaggerate drama:

Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Praeses

Oh indeed, journalists (including photojournalists) seem to lie reflexively. They are frustrated artists and the real story is boring, darling, better make a better one.

With the whipping (or lashing or striking or snapping or bopping or whatever the preferred term is) with reins, its not really a staged event, its people barging across a border without permission and guys on horses annoyed about it flicking them with the reins. I think one runs into a horses nose? Pretty hard on the border officers they can't use their horses now as a result.

I think there's a video, it doesn't look staged: https://twitter.com/i/status/1439989195871825921 if it was faked Hollywood crap surely they couldn't help injecting some lens flare/explosions/Dwayne Johnson.

Once again the poor bloody officers on the ground have their actions extrapolated into a morality play/horror story for the various bickering factions. Maybe send them reinforcements and resources to deal with the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Oh indeed, journalists (including photojournalists) seem to lie reflexively. They are frustrated artists and the real story is boring, darling, better make a better one.

With the whipping (or lashing or striking or snapping or bopping or whatever the preferred term is) with reins, its not really a staged event, its people barging across a border without permission and guys on horses annoyed about it flicking them with the reins. I think one runs into a horses nose? Pretty hard on the border officers they can't use their horses now as a result.

I think there's a video, it doesn't look staged: https://twitter.com/i/status/1439989195871825921 if it was faked Hollywood crap surely they couldn't help injecting some lens flare/explosions/Dwayne Johnson.
    I wasn't thinking that the pics at the border were staged nor outright fake, just assuming that the photojournalists would shoot, select, and crop them carefully so as to create the most dramatic impression, whether or not that impression was truly representative of the situation. Those pics from East Jerusalem weren't really fake either. There was a protest that day, and riot police were there in case it got out of hand, it's just that it was all rather uneventful, so the photojournalists had to create the impression of drama by carefully picking the angles of their shots.

The video from the border incident looks rather boring in comparison to the pics. Creating extra drama from stills is an easier task.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Its a shame the refugees and others crossing the border there were walking with their kids past horses, putting them at risk: I mean the whole journey is a gamble.

Lashing the families with reins is a bad look, but no doubt the patrolmen are caught between idiot politicians and the reality of a nasty job.

Shame the border patrol won't get to ride horses for a bit, politics is pretty weird.
    Yeah not to mention the people riding those horses part of the border patrol, are Latinos, second or even third generation.

One would have to be blind or willfully ignorant to deny the clear role that racism plays in the reaction to the Haitian asylum seekers.
    Or willfully hoping it is racism playing a role. What would one do or be without it.

Ah yes a real exodus.
    Last edited by Aikanár; September 26, 2021 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Continuity

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    I wasn't thinking that the pics at the border were staged nor outright fake, just assuming that the photojournalists would shoot, select, and crop them carefully so as to create the most dramatic impression, whether or not that impression was truly representative of the situation. Those pics from East Jerusalem weren't really fake either. There was a protest that day, and riot police were there in case it got out of hand, it's just that it was all rather uneventful, so the photojournalists had to create the impression of drama by carefully picking the angles of their shots.

The video from the border incident looks rather boring in comparison to the pics. Creating extra drama from stills is an easier task.
    Indeed, but they also fabricate the drama at times, even arranging "shoots" and photo ops. News is entertainment baby, and almost every journalist is a "storyteller".

I have a mate who worked for the Murdoch press, he recently quit because of the unreasonable management attitudes and the willingness of other staff to comply. Its a similar story in most services from what I hear, not confined to News Corp by any means.

Biden promises to catch tax-evading billionaires by... providing IRS direct access to bank account if its balance is above $600. That's right, $600. It does seem like less of a trap for billionaires, and more of a trojan horse to be used against middle class to drain it of wealth via taxation.
    I can understand now why the idea of non-violent tax boycott is becoming popular among Americans.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

https://www.foxnews.com/us/untraditi...Im_bQ41ffXw8AU

Dropping bad grades in the name of progress... I am sure that will prove a huge success for USA students academic performance when nobody can fail.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

How many of you agree that there are at least hundreds, if not thousands, of Progressives in USA that hope Judge Kavanaugh dies from Covid?
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    How many of you agree that there are at least hundreds, if not thousands, of Progressives in USA that hope Judge Kavanaugh dies from Covid?
    At least as many as invaded the Capitol to overthrow US democracy at Trump's behest. Probably the same people too.

Jokes aside yes the ill will and bitterness in US public debate is horrible.

Capitol wasn't really "invaded" when cops were opening doors for protesters to walk in and walk around taking selfies, while recent Facebook leak confirmed that FBI was involved with the organizational part. Plus you can't really overthrow something that never existed in the first place, as America is just a corporate oligarchy and not a real Democracy.

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    At least as many as invaded the Capitol to overthrow US democracy at Trump's behest. Probably the same people too.

Jokes aside yes the ill will and bitterness in US public debate is horrible.
    Class =/= race

So "systemic racism" manifests itself through the grading system, which "punishes" disruptive behavior and tardiness. The school admin thinks it's systemic because this may affect minorities more than others.

Isn't that a fundamentally racist characterization though?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    Class =/= race

So "systemic racism" manifests itself through the grading system, which "punishes" disruptive behavior and tardiness. The school admin thinks it's systemic because this may affect minorities more than others.

Isn't that a fundamentally racist characterization though?
    Basically yes. The ironic racism of so-called anti-racism isn’t a novel idea; it’s merely suppressed because it exposes the fraudulent nature of the dominant narrative.

https://www.persuasion.community/p/j...the-neoracists