Thread: Anyone have a good Fatigue sub-mod ?

Icon5 Anyone have a good Fatigue sub-mod ?

I'm really struggling with fatigue with my crusader states armies. It seems that even the elite infantry aren't capable of walking 300m in the desert without getting exhausted. My last battle saw the enemy perched up on a large dune and my infantry were exhausted before they even reached them. That and fatigue recovery seems almost non-existent, so they are essentially screwed from the outset. Even the light cavalry start to tire after a short march and single charge.

Putting the game on 6x for 20 minutes each time I want to move my army more than 100m isn't exactly what I hoped to get out of this experience. Has anyone bothered to make a submod that addresses this in any way ?

PS. Strange that the Foot knights of Jerusalem tired more quickly than the Crusader Sergeants, despite the Foot knight's having both Elite and Good Stamina tags.
    Last edited by Ruprecht; August 23, 2019 at 03:45 PM.
    Signature by Lucarius.

Default Re: Anyone have a good Fatigue sub-mod ?

walking/runing uphill takes a lot of stamina, combine that with desert and yeah your units tire quickly

recovery is existent but you must rest your troops before they become completely exhausted

there's no minimod for this afaik as nobody seems to find it an issue but if you wanna change things yourself edit export_descr_unit file inside the data folder

Code:
    ; stat_heat         Extra fatigue suffered by the unit in hot climates
    ;
    ; stat_ground       Combat modifiers on different ground types. From left to right
    ;                   scrub, sand, forest, snow

It would make a lot more sense if the troops were running, but being unable to walk 300m up a moderate incline in mail armor without getting exhausted is something I would expect from elite infantry. I guess you could argue that is was a particularly hot day, but this still translates into tedium in the context of gameplay.

It's severe enough that I am not bothering to train infantry and rather rely purely on cavalry, as they are the only units that can perform in desert environments. Not sure by how much the VH modifier accounts for fatigue as I'm more accustomed to playing H. But I think what I'm experiencing is a compound effect, attributed to the mod settings.

Do you know if there is a way to modify the fatigue stat directly ? I was thinking it would be a lot less work to do that instead of changing coefficients for every unit.
    Signature by Lucarius.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

There isn't such way as far as I know. However, if there's one, check the Med 2 Workshop.

Many stats have to be reviewed. We just haven't found the time yet to work on the EDU.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    There isn't such way as far as I know. However, if there's one, check the Med 2 Workshop.

Many stats have to be reviewed. We just haven't found the time yet to work on the EDU.
    Maybe I was wrong in assuming such effects are attributed mainly to the mod settings. I referenced the unit file with my go-to mod (SS 6.2) to find only very few major Heat disparities. A few units in SSHIP had more than double the Heat value comparatively, And most values were higher in SSHIP across the board, but not by much. I don't have a problem with terrain combat penalties, but did notice they were a lot harsher in SSHIP- (just an observation).

I'm now wondering, did going from H to VH cross a threshold of what I would consider sensible mechanics. I was just sick of my SS campaigns losing their appeal due to lack of challenge, so I am trying to embrace SSHIP with all the bells and whistles. The increased morale benefit to enemy armies is great, as is the improved campaign AI. But this fatigue mechanic is testing my patience. It just feels so artificial to me, And doesn't really achieve anything beyond wasting my time.
    Signature by Lucarius.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

I can't add anything more to my previous post. Any suggestion is welcome through
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

stamina itself i think is hardcoded and cant be changed, you can add the "hardy" and "very_hardy" attributes to improve troops stamina

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprecht View Post
    I'm now wondering, did going from H to VH cross a threshold of what I would consider sensible mechanics. I was just sick of my SS campaigns losing their appeal due to lack of challenge, so I am trying to embrace SSHIP with all the bells and whistles. The increased morale benefit to enemy armies is great, as is the improved campaign AI
    I'm not sure the AI gets better at higher diff levels but who knows. I always play vh/vh so I don't know the situation at lower diffs.
    My experience from a EBII game with Pritanoi at vh is such that my soldiers would be exhausted very, very soon. I treated it as additional challenge though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I can't add anything more to my previous post. Any suggestion is welcome through
    It's cool. It seems more related to B-difficulty than it does SSHIP. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    stamina itself i think is hardcoded and cant be changed, you can add the "hardy" and "very_hardy" attributes to improve troops stamina
    Oh that's a brilliant tip. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I'm not sure the AI gets better at higher diff levels but who knows. I always play vh/vh so I don't know the situation at lower diffs.
    My experience from a EBII game with Pritanoi at vh is such that my soldiers would be exhausted very, very soon. I treated it as additional challenge though.
    I've been playing VH/H for as long as I can remember. The most profound difference that I noticed is that of fatigue. I don't think I have observed any increase in AI logic, but the higher routing threshold seems to be a clear advantage to the AI, in that it let's them commit longer to fighting instead of fleeing. Battles seem a lot busier now due to many enemy units rallying and rejoining the fight.

If I can make fatigue a bit more reasonable, I will never be going back to H.
    Signature by Lucarius.

Tiro

The only way you can mod/change the stamina of units is indeed by adding the hardy, very_hardy attirbutes in the EDU file. Or by changing the stat_heat value of some units.
    You can also take a look at the descr_climates file, this is where the heat modifiers per different type of climate are mentioned.

I have not installed SSHIP, as i am still playing SS 6.4.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post10401955

might be too severe but apparently you can lock stamina aswell, i've only tried morale in the past and it worked iirc i changed it from "morale = 1" to "morale = 0", this is done the cfg file btw, idk what you should write tho, i suppose you can try adding "stamina = 0" under [game settings] or search around more

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastiaan_1983 View Post
    The only way you can mod/change the stamina of units is indeed by adding the hardy, very_hardy attirbutes in the EDU file. Or by changing the stat_heat value of some units.
    You can also take a look at the descr_climates file, this is where the heat modifiers per different type of climate are mentioned.

I have not installed SSHIP, as i am still playing SS 6.4.

Ahh I see. You could be onto something with that. Perhaps I could interchange desert with grass so that all units suffer no penalty. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekhatres View Post
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post10401955

might be too severe but apparently you can lock stamina aswell, i've only tried morale in the past and it worked iirc i changed it from "morale = 1" to "morale = 0", this is done the cfg file btw, idk what you should write tho, i suppose you can try adding "stamina = 0" under [game settings] or search around more
    Hmm, I'll take that into consideration. I would like to retain a natural disparity between elite and non-elite units if possible. But this could work as a last resort. Cheers.

When going through the EDU, it appears that some high and elite tiers of troops are completely missing the Hardy modifier. Not sure if this was intended though.
    Signature by Lucarius.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprecht View Post
    When going through the EDU, it appears that some high and elite tiers of troops are completely missing the Hardy modifier. Not sure if this was intended though.
    Perhaps intentionally. In the EBII there're vitually no units with very_hardy as the team (in the Quintus Sertorius explanation) thinks it's an exploit giving units unlimited stamina. it was in this thread.