Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl (2019)

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Chernobyl (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    darn good drama. i recommended it to my parents, which in hindsight may have been a mistake. they are die-hard anti-nuclear. i was born in 86, and have all the right parts in all the right places. welp.
    That is to bad no matter hoe much solar and wind you put in you need stand by capacity and if you want no carbon its got be nuclear just done right and well funded and with a long term fuel repository. Don't have HBO so have not watched but my impression is the design of the plant was not the most fail safe but the team was A+ and they got a bit arrogant in how they handled plant when demands for more power were made and did not push back and say no (not always a wise move in the USSR).
    Last edited by conon394; June 05, 2019 at 10:40 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Oh yeah I wouldn't call it a anti-nuclear show. Just a "ing do it right if you are going to do it" kind of message.

I'm a pretty firm "We need solar and wind" kind of person, but I want nuclear too. It's too useful to ignore and with the right precautions it is a wonderful tool. It's still the future and fossil fuels need to die finally, no matter how many ignorant people shout from the rooftops that it is gonna carry us forever.

Also you should find a (legal) way to watch it, conon. It is quite good and you will see how ed up the situation was (cause your view was similar to mine until I watched it...boy was I wrong).

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    Oh yeah I wouldn't call it a anti-nuclear show. Just a "ing do it right if you are going to do it" kind of message.

I'm a pretty firm "We need solar and wind" kind of person, but I want nuclear too. It's too useful to ignore and with the right precautions it is a wonderful tool. It's still the future and fossil fuels need to die finally, no matter how many ignorant people shout from the rooftops that it is gonna carry us forever.

Also you should find a (legal) way to watch it, conon. It is quite good and you will see how ed up the situation was (cause your view was similar to mine until I watched it...boy was I wrong).
    Interesting I will try I'll badger my mother or a family friend who are were GOT addicts to see if they can come up with a HBO go (or whatever the new name is) code. I think they can still share out to what 2 or 3 friends. I do know my Mother was on about the show the other day, as a great show. My wife is traveling again for work so I will have weekend to kill.
    Last edited by conon394; June 06, 2019 at 06:59 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

The men who fought to put out that fire shoud never be forgotten. I haven't seeen this show and only have reviews as to how good a piece of entertainment it was. But I do hope it portrays their sacrifice respectfully and not just as shocking thriller to grab audiences.

Many especially those exposed directly to the contamination above and below the fire, knew they would die, but battled on to save others and the environment. It was true courage by them and a very human tragedy.

Plenty of Fantasy in HBO’s ‘Chernobyl,’ but the Truth Is Real
    Ahead of the series finale, a science writer who has toured the site of the 1986 nuclear disaster weighs in.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/02/a...nobyl-hbo.html

It was a brilliant series. Thoroughly enjoyed every episode, especially the finale.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

i loved the details that made the court scene more realistic. the acoustic, and especially the microphone being in the wrong place and legasov having butterfingers. the last two werent planned by the way, harris fumbled, but they kept it in, and when the director noticed the mic thing, he sent one of the soldiers in instead of having another take.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    i loved the details that made the court scene more realistic. the acoustic, and especially the microphone being in the wrong place and legasov having butterfingers. the last two werent planned by the way, harris fumbled, but they kept it in, and when the director noticed the mic thing, he sent one of the soldiers in instead of having another take.
    The great thing about cable is that they have time to show little character mistakes and stuff like that. It's funny watching high-stress situations in other shows and people speak clearly, no mistakes in movement, etc...Not realistic at all.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Broadly agree with Kyriakos.

I read with incredulity that because of the success of this tv show, an alternative Russian made one has been commissioned which attempts to pin the blame on the West. This most definately does not respect the memory of those men who sacrificed their lives in this tragedy and is pretty disgraceful to attempt to use the memory of this disaster, to feed negative propoganda, which the Sky/HBO one does not.

Russia makes own version of Chernobyl disaster series, blaming CIA agent for nuclear explosion following success of Sky Original mini-series
    http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainme...wXoV?ocid=iehp

Russia is filming its own series based on the Chernobyl disaster following national fury over the success of the hit Sky and HBO adaptation.
    Russian television broadcaster NTV has commissioned the series and principal photography has begun in Belarus under director Alexei Muradov.
    The new adaptation will portray the nuclear disaster as the work of a US CIA agent. Sky Original's Chernobyl was dismissed as a "caricature" in Russia by pro-Kremlin media who said "only we have the right to talk about our history", according to the Moscow Times.

Russia's new series has been described as a detective film based on a conspiracy theory in which a KGB officer struggles to thwart American spies - the new villains of the tragedy
    If this isnt dissing on the memory who died at Chernobyl I don't know what is. Absolutely bloody disgusting

Blog Entries

I heard about that too.

If this is accurate...It's infuriating because the whole series is about the cost of lies. The coverup, the lies, the threats...All of it was supposed to have ended. Yet even today we have people (even in the West, unfortunately) that have fully immersed themselves in the kool-aid bowl and lap up whatever their authoritarian leaders want...and they don't care.

Portraying that as truth flies in the face of everything that happened.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

I heard about that too.

If this is accurate...It's infuriating because the whole series is about the cost of lies. The coverup, the lies, the threats...All of it was supposed to have ended. Yet even today we have people (even in the West, unfortunately) that have fully immersed themselves in the kool-aid bowl and lap up whatever their authoritarian leaders want...and they don't care.

Portraying that as truth flies in the face of everything that happened.
    It amazes me how anyone could be so insensitive, so corrupted by a need to blame the foreigner for political reasons, they would come up with the idea of using Chernobyl for propaganda purposes. This was an international disaster the legacy of which still contaminates large parts of Europe, some areas of which will never be inhabited safely again and blighted thousands of lives.

Chernobyl demonstrated the true heroes are the ordinary people of the world, the little folk, who when placed in situations of danger rise to the challenge and sometimes pay the ultimate sacrifice. Those in positions of power it seems will always remain those who have no dignity or moral worth.

Blog Entries

The weak-minded blame others for their own problems, my friend. Again we are seeing a slide towards such oblivion throughout the world right now.

It's an embarrassment. I can't imagine being one of the people (or their descendants) who were forced to flee the region 30+ years ago. They know what happened...and to hear that the government wants to blame the US for what was their own fault?

Madness. Yet we are increasingly losing our sanity.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

The weak-minded blame others for their own problems, my friend. Again we are seeing a slide towards such oblivion throughout the world right now.

It's an embarrassment. I can't imagine being one of the people (or their descendants) who were forced to flee the region 30+ years ago. They know what happened...and to hear that the government wants to blame the US for what was their own fault?

Madness. Yet we are increasingly losing our sanity.
    Yep. Putin is so weak that even to admit other Russians who had nothing to do with him messed up threatens him. Pretty soon it'll be just like the Soviet Union again, where even plane crashes weren't reported lest the people think their leaders were not infallible.

I wonder if the upcoming Russian version will be touted by Trump and his cult as "how it really happened"?

Btw this is interesting. I didnt knew about this.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

thought it'd be like the Death of Stalin. The show is dark and sad.

After watching the show, this kind of stuff did peeked my interest. I did find this video, pretty awesome.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Well, tbh HBO presented real historical figures (notably Gorbachev) is a rather glaringly cartoonish way. It isn't realistic to think that Gorbachev was a cretin, as he is in this show.
    Also, the KGB agent is cartoon-villain level, again not realistic.

Basically think of the hypothetical where Russia could produce a popular tv series about the JFK assassination, then have the political leaders of the day presented in a clearly ridiculous way. Reaction to that would exist too.

I saw the show, the production value was excellent, and so were most of the actors (Jared Harris is always great). Yet the political message was rather crude, and i always dislike it when "art" is so glaringly political.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

On the Gorbachev portrayal i can agree with, but the rest, from what i know, doesn't seem to far off. When the majority of population in Ukraine learned how bad the accident really was trough the clandestine radio shows, like Voice of America.
    Which the Soviet Government usually actively tried to jam btw. Instead the official radio channels just transmitted non stop classical music, the protocol from when disasters happened or rather when Heads of state passed away, without actually informing the populace.

The 1st of May parade not being canceled despite the levels of radiation in Kiev in that particular day, in order to give the impression that everything was fine. There was also force volunturing bus drivers in Kiev to serve in the evacuation of Pripyat. Plenty of them ended up dying with cancer and other health issues later on.

The political critique might come of as too much on the nose in the TV show, sure, but the Antics of Soviet union Government dont seem too far off from what i know about it.

Also the Fireman and his wife aren't actually fictional btw.
    A firefighter named Vasily Ignatenko and his wife, Lyudmilla, were scheduled to leave for Belarus the morning of the explosion, but their plans were curtailed when Vasily rushed to the power plant at about 1:30 a.m. He promised to wake his wife when he got home, but his severe radiation poisoning forced him to be taken to the hospital.
    When Lyudmilla visited her husband, she was ordered not to touch him. "If you start crying, I'll kick you out right away," she recalled being told in the book "Voices from Chernobyl."
    Lyudmilla was pregnant at the time but lied to the radiologist to see her husband. Vasily died 14 days after the accident and was buried, as the series shows, in a zinc coffin. The documentary even shows Lyudmilla carrying her husband's shoes, which couldn't fit around his swollen feet.
    Lyudmilla eventually gave birth to her baby, who died after four hours.

This is a good article about it.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/cher...e-myths-2019-5
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; June 11, 2019 at 07:29 PM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

I would watch this anyway, because Jared Harris is excellent in everything he acts
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Really good Mini Series - that People saved a lot of People from an Nuclear Catastrophy and now some of them are even not allowed get in contact with the Earth...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast