Thread: Constant "unspecified error" CTD.

Default Constant "unspecified error" CTD.

Hey guys, needless to say SS is amazing but as it turns out, to me playing it has been really frustrating as well.
    I installed it maybe a year ago and constantly suffered with the "unspecified error" always after playing a battle right when the victory/defeat screen was supposed to come up.
    I gave up and only now got back to it. I read a lot here, tried several fixes, tried uninstalling, manually removing the game, reinstalling following everything from the "solving problems with Steam, Vista or Win 7" thread, applying the bugfix compilation 1.27, updating drivers and what not. Now it appears the error doesn't occur after battles anymore, great, but, surprise, it started happening during the campaign randomly out of nowhere. I'm looking at the map, thinking of what to do next and get the CTD followed by the "unspecified error" pop-up.
    A couple of time I also did get the "fatal graphics" error, but that was before my latest uninstall/install attempt. After that I did play it for 10+ hours with a few CTDs.

I really don't understand a lot about logs and all the technical stuff but did notice that apparently there's a lot of things like textures missing in the error logs. Hopefully someone will be able to help and I thank in advance.

Im on Win 10, AMD FX8320, Radeon R7 200, my game is the definitive edition from Steam and I'm playing as England.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    15:13:38.099 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    15:13:38.101 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_galley.rum is missing
    15:13:38.102 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    15:13:38.103 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_cog.rum is missing
    15:13:38.104 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    15:13:38.106 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_cog.rum is missing
    15:13:38.107 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    15:13:38.108 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_cog.rum is missing
    15:13:38.110 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    15:13:38.111 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_cog.rum is missing
    15:13:38.112 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    15:13:38.113 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_cog.rum is missing
    15:13:38.114 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    15:13:38.116 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_galley.rum is missing
    15:13:38.117 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    15:13:38.118 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_galley.rum is missing
    15:13:38.119 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    15:13:38.121 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_cog.rum is missing
    15:13:38.122 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    15:13:38.124 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_cog.rum is missing
    15:13:38.125 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    15:13:38.126 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_cog.rum is missing
    15:13:38.127 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    15:13:38.129 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_cog.rum is missing
    15:13:38.130 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/navy_roman_shadow.rum is missing
    15:13:38.131 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/character_pontus.rum is missing
    15:13:38.132 [system.io] [warning] open: models_strat/general_pontus.rum is missing
    15:13:45.757 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/southern_eu_wooden_castle.tga.dds is missing
    15:13:45.758 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/north_eu_wooden_walls.tga.dds is missing
    15:13:45.761 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/southern_eu_cities.tga.dds is missing
    15:13:45.763 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/north_eu_wooden_castle.tga.dds is missing
    15:13:45.765 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/north_eu_stone_fort.tga.dds is missing
    15:13:45.766 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/north_eu_castle.tga.dds is missing
    15:13:45.768 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/northern_eu_cities.tga.dds is missing
    15:13:45.770 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/eastern_eu_wooden_castle.tga.dds is missing
    15:13:45.779 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/eastern_eu_cities.tga.dds is missing
    15:13:45.789 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/middle_eastern_wooden_castle.tga.dds is missing
    15:13:45.791 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/me_castle_buildings.tga.dds is missing
    15:13:45.792 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/models_strat/residences/textures/middle_eastern_cities.tga.dds is missing
    15:13:45.875 [system.io] [warning] open: data/terrain/aerial_map/tile_models/alpha_pages/mountain_mask.tga.dds is missing
    15:13:45.932 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/world/maps/base/water_surface.tga.dds is missing
    15:14:00.041 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

system.log.rar

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Constant "unspecified error" CTD.

what is your motherboard? does it have integrated graphics? (the fx chipset series does not but some am3+ motherboards do) if it does check to make sure the game is set to use discrete grpahics (it'll default to onboard half the time). SS will crash with on board graphics.

did u install the direct x from jun2010 (essentially the old drivers that don't come with windows 10/modern games but are necessary for mtw2? see here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=8109
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

Default Re: Constant "unspecified error" CTD.

Quote Originally Posted by Losthief View Post
    what is your motherboard? does it have integrated graphics? (the fx chipset series does not but some am3+ motherboards do) if it does check to make sure the game is set to use discrete grpahics (it'll default to onboard half the time). SS will crash with on board graphics.

did u install the direct x from jun2010 (essentially the old drivers that don't come with windows 10/modern games but are necessary for mtw2? see here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=8109
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

My motherboard is the gigabyte 990fxa-ud3. It does not have onboard graphics.
    I didn't know about the directx. Downloaded it, installed. No difference. I just noticed my game now instantly crashes whenever I try to save. I select the save and when the pop-up about overwriting it comes up it's instant CTD, also happens if I create a new save slot.