Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Decision] Gigantus for Divus

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderation Overseer Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus

Default [Decision] Gigantus for Divus

I would like to formally propose that Gigantus be granted the Divus award.

To achieve apotheosis, the nominee must have served as a Hexagon Council member (or previous equivalents), made a clear and distinguished contribution to the community, and provided exceptional service to TWC in their capacity as an administrator. Any former member of administration is eligible, but they cannot be nominated within three months of resigning. A nominee who fails the vote is not eligible to be nominated again for a six month period. Nominees must also meet the criteria to become a Citizen.

As I write this 1st 2nd 3rd latest draft, I find myself mindful of two things. The first is that, whilst I have seen Gigantus at his best, I have not seen everything that he has done for this site, whilst as an admin and before. That is something that I think is true for a lot of us-few, if any, have the entire story. As such, there are things that, despite my best efforts, I am likely to miss out. To counter this, I would ask that if you have a particular story or anecdote that you want to share, please do so. The second thought is that this is not a eulogy and I should avoid writing it as such. Gig has retired, yes, but he has not and does not plan to walk away from TWC. He continues to offer help and advice in much the same way as he did before, just without the formal rank that, at least to my mind, was really just window dressing anyway. I considered trying to link to things in the below, but since a large part of what I am going to describe took place behind closed doors in one form or another then links aren't really that useful, and if I were to try to go through his posts to find the best ones I would literally be here until Christmas.

So, where do I start? Well, the Divus is awarded for exceptional services as an Admin, so, whilst considerable, Gig's contributions prior to that would not count. I do think however that I should mention a few things here, if only to provide some additional information and context for the rest. Gig joined Moderation in May 2010. One comment from a senior moderator at the time was 'wow', in response Gig's contribution to a policy discussion in the Den, and by the end of November Gig had become one of the Moderation mentors. To put that in context current moderators are only likely to enter that group rather later in their service, and very very rarely less than a year. Gig had already been doing what has since become his trademark-helping out everyone he could on the forum (concentrated on M2TW at that point). His trademark sign-off-'one is glad to have been of service ' springs to mind.

His moderation skills, as well as his extraordinary ability to examine his own actions and improve where needed counted him as one of the best Moderators TWC has ever had, but it was his deep intimacy with modding and the modding sections of the fora (in particular M2TW, unsurprisingly), that led to him becoming Modding Hex. I think this was after TFON, but the forum search and my very limited memory of my first couple of years on TWC has let me down on that one. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me. Anyway, this is where his exceptional service really began. Gig took on the modding role, and, not only remaining active in helping out members around the forum, also continued to play very nearly as active a part in Moderation as he had done whilst he was still in bold blue. To put this in context, after I had been in Moderation for a short while, having originally joined Content and become Wiki Director before joining the other blue squad as well, found myself needing to cut down on one completely in order to continue properly with the other. I have not been able to find any evidence that Gig ever did that (other than leave front line Moderator to his erstwhile peers, but thats fair enough really). I am pretty sure that he was already in Hex when I joined Moderation (2013), but reading through the comments on particular incidents and policy discussions was one of the first things I did. There have only been a small number of constants in the time that I have wielded a mace, but, at least to my mind, front and centre among is Gig continuing to offer help and guidance to any Moderator who needed it, regardless of how experienced they might be. He was also fully willing to pick them up off the floor and dump them back on their feet if need be, including with me at least once. As I right this, I am struggling to thing of a point where I properly thanked Gig for what he has been doing-something to put right.

Over to modding matters-Gig took over and ran the Modding Register with Teutonic efficiency, as well as his own system for maintaining and organising the hundreds of mod fora which exist now or have come and gone over the years. Frankly, whilst I am much more used now to the technical aspects of maintaining fora and having an established process, seeing it in action to such a degree was incredible, as was Gig's willingness to put the time in to get something that worked. One of the less enjoyable, but no less necessary, parts of Gig's role was to arbitrate disputes between modders. As a number of you are no doubt aware, these disputes are often complex and, unfortunately, full of vitriol. It is also almost impossible to reach an answer with which all parties are going to be happy. I never saw any evidence of Gig being unduly bothered by the scale of some of the issues he had to sort out, and his detailed modding and moderating knowledge set him in great stead for working out what had actually gone on, and how it needed to be fixed. This was just as true with more recent games as it was with M2TW, his natural favourite. Since Gig's retirement I suspect the next time something major comes up I will be the one taking the lead on it. If I do half as well as he has then I'll be happy. If not, I'm sure he'll have some choice words! One of the final things that Gig did whilst in Hex was to set the ball rolling and get the Modding Staff set up. . I think it is telling that we now need a department to do the job formally done by a single man.

An area that is perhaps more obvious, and perhaps more of a spectator sport than the inner workings of mod fora and modder's disputes is Gig's sparring in the commentary. He took no prisoners, and articulating site policy and some choice home truths was second nature. He still pops in there every so often, and, whilst he posts there rather less than he used to, still has his old magic. Don't believe me? Just search for his username in that forum and read for yourself.

Well, that just about wraps it up from me, other than to say that the above is only from my point of view, and I know I have missed some things-the only problem is that I cannot name them. If any of the rest of you have something to add, then I can add it into the OP before this goes to vote. Over to you!

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Patrician Consul

Default Re: [Decision] Gigantus for Divus

Van Zandt's Avatar pulvis et umbra
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Full support.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Patrician Artifex Modding Staff Director

Oh boy, it's happening everybody!

Support.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Give it to him dammit. There is no need to make a case when you can click virtually anywhere on the site to see his mark.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    Patrician Citizen

The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

Massive support from this duffer!

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!
    Artifex

He de facto already is, we may make it official.
    For those who want to play a historical mod in a medieval setting:
    try either the Titanium, the Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project + minimods,
    or the Broken Crescent + Buff and Shine submod.
    ..........................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods: SSHIP (2018), Wrath of the Norsemen (2018), Broken Crescent (2018).
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding.
    Minimods for the SSHIP: Generals Traits, Provincial Titles, Crowns.
    Short guides for the SSHIP: population growth, forts and watchtowers.
    Pros and cons of having Merchants in an M2TW mod.
    Home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Dominant strategy in Attila TW and Rome 2 TW: “Sniping groups of armies”.

Lifthrasir's Avatar A Clockwork Orange
    Content Staff Moderation Mentor

Blog Entries

That's a no brainer here. The main issue will be where to put it on Gig's trophy wall? There's no much space left
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, of the Imperial House of Hader

CMS Blogger Award medal poll up. Vote for your favorite.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    Give it to him dammit. There is no need to make a case when you can click virtually anywhere on the site to see his mark.
    Agreed. I see no reason why this nomination should follow the procedure in the Curia when it's so obvious what outcome of a vote will be.

Having the privilege to work closely with Gig for a short time as it took place last year, I know Gig deserves to be awarded the Divus. Support!
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

Flinn's Avatar oh man.. I did it again!
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Gaming Director Modding Staff

Blog Entries

I certainly not appears evident from outside, but if one has the opportunity and privilege to work alongside with him in the Hex, the amount of work, contribution, input, ideas and what'snot Gig is giving to the site is impressive, "exceptional" is not even close to what the truth is.

It is even difficult to praise him without sounding verbose, but one thing is certain, as obvious at is looks: TWC wouldn't be the same place without Gigantus, in a certain sense no one else has given as much as he did, both in quality and in quantity... and we are very much lucky that, despite him having retired from official positions, he is still roaming our houses and giving help, support and input everywhere is needed.

Support is a too simple word for me in this case, but well support it is.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22& Socrates1984; of the Imperial House of Hader

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    giving help, support and input everywhere is needed.
    Nope, he is not. Not in the Modding Staff forum and we who are still active there miss him.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Support!
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Flinn's Avatar oh man.. I did it again!
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Gaming Director Modding Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Nope, he is not. Not in the Modding Staff forum and we who are still active there miss him.
    It's your fault if he resigned, you know??

Jokes aside, he is still doing something on that regard as well, even if not openly evident as one might imagine
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22& Socrates1984; of the Imperial House of Hader

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Obviously support!

With 10+ supports already, I think this has more then qualified for a "move to vote", right?
    So, lets move it to a vote. Hader, if you please?

- A

Tango12345's Avatar Never mind the manoeuvres...
    Moderation Overseer Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus

Hader can move this to vote at his discretion after it is 24 hours old (to make sure people see it).

Agreed. I see no reason why this nomination should follow the procedure in the Curia when it's so obvious what outcome of a vote will be.
    On the contrary, due process is important.

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator
    Citizen

As their seems to be no "Pantheon award", I will support this Divus thingy instead....

As for an Anecdote, when a very experienced local TATW moderator with a lot of technical game knowledge suddenly abandoned this forum and left me as sole TATW LM at that time, Gigantus immediately took care of a member's question I didn't know the answer to. Furthermore he let me know that I could always come to him for these kind of situations. A little thing amongst everything else Gig did and does, but still it's telling something about his dedication to this site and all who visit it.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Celtic Magister's Avatar Miles

Full support from me, he's without a doubt been an incredible help for almost any Medieval 2 modder that asks for his assistance and advice when needed, not to mention his very consistent dedication to moderation and keeping order almost anywhere on the site from what I've seen.

He's also got one of the best senses of humor on TWcenter, if that counts.
    ---Unit Modelers and battle map creators wanted!--- Discord: https://discord.gg/7qwdgr4

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Anyone who is not supporting this should be perma banned.
    Full support.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Ummm, what happened to "move to vote"?

- A

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Fully support this award for my mentor!
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast