Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

  1. #41
    alhoon's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chania, Greece
    Posts
    20,835

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Does an MA in Econometrics, BA in Economics with minors in math and stats and programing and BS in Engineering qualify? Because the paper they site had LMAO poor r values. r-.50?? r-.87 That is basically a guess with some statistical g s-tring attached on it. Even in my first basic intro econometrics course it was made clear r-.95 was the only credible bottom figure if you wanted to publish or be taken seriously.
    Are you serious?!? r. -95% the bottom? That's for quality control etc man. Not for everything. If in our models we get say polynomial trend at R 25% or so, we usually remove it to get the stochastic component. In mining estimations, if we get crossvalidation results of R at 65% or so, we consider it fine.



    Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    An r value of -.50 is considered a moderate inverse relationship, and r value of -.87 is a strong inverse relationship. Which paper are you talking about though? I'm not seeing those numbers in anything Quillette cited.
    That.
    See this source? And it's just one source. Even at r -0.2 you have weak correlation, not "no correlation".

    Here is another source.

    Want more? Here is a third one.

    It is practically painful for me to read such advice of "don't make conclusions at r less than 90% and consider r at 50% as negligible". Things like that, are frankly why mathematicians often make fun of economists.


    Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Also there is no justification for using r and not a different model.
    Again, what?!?
    Pearson's correlation is one of the most used statistics and for a good reason. It has its flaws, sure, like a small value of r not a sure sign you don't have correlation, it may simply not be linear. But nobody would fault you if you use it.
    If you have good R, it means you have good linear correlation. Not buts or ifs.

    would it be better to have more? Perhaps. But you don't have to, unless it's work in the field of statistics, not sociology.
    Last edited by alhoon; May 20, 2019 at 09:36 AM.
    DIE: Diversity, Inclusion, Equality (Pun on SJWs, I am not far-right)
    _______________________________________________________
    Beta-tester for Darthmod Empire, the default modification for Empire Total War that does not ask for your money behind patreon.

    Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

  2. #42

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    edit - also its useful to think visually at r .50 you can provably pivot that line 180 degrees and still be at a negative r .50 so what are you explaining anything?
    This doesn't make any sense. The relationship remains the same no matter how you graph it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.


  3. #43
    conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs
    Posts
    12,602

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    This doesn't make any sense. The relationship remains the same no matter how you graph it.
    It does a .50 you are basically drawing a line through a cloud of dots. If your hypothesis is correct maybe you found something but the data still allows for many other lines based on any other slope with different arguments.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

    'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

    But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

    Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    It does a .50 you are basically drawing a line through a cloud of dots. If your hypothesis is correct maybe you found something but the data still allows for many other lines based on any other slope with different arguments.
    Okay, I get what you're saying now.

    Some examples so everyone reading along knows what we're talking about:



    Usually there is also a p-value which is essentially a measure of how likely the relationship could have occurred by chance.

    This is an example from his paper that upset so many people (context is the UK, net opposition to immigrants from X country):



    The odds that this relationship occurred by chance is less than 1 in 1000 according to the p-value (EDIT: more precise values below). I've only read the abstract and looked at the figures, so I can't comment on the quality of the paper otherwise.

    Based on just that, his conclusion seems modest enough to me:

    The present study shows that, in the UK, net opposition to immigrants of different nationalities (n = 23) correlates strongly with the log of immigrant arrests rates (r = .77; p = 0.00002; 95 % CI = [.52, .90]) and with the log of their arrest rates for violent crime (r = .77; p = 0.00001; 95 % CI = [.52, .90]). This is particularly noteworthy given that Britons reportedly think that an immigrant’s criminal history should be one of the most important characteristics when considering whether he or she should be allowed into the country... While circumstantial in nature, the study’s findings suggest that public beliefs about the relative positions of different immigrant groups may be reasonably accurate.
    Last edited by sumskilz; May 20, 2019 at 02:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.


  5. #45
    chriscase's Avatar Princess Thunderballs
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,377

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Inferences about the edit history of other members' posts are off topic.

  6. #46
    alhoon's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chania, Greece
    Posts
    20,835

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post

    Usually there is also a p-value which is essentially a measure of how likely the relationship could have occurred by chance.
    That's a not really solid. P-value is the chance that the null-hypothesis is true in the things you observe, not necessarily that they have occurred by chance. Generally, you're much better using confidence intervals at 95%, which he does.

    What really perplexes me is... Nigeria and Egypt are really hardcore against Immigrants?! And USA is as pro-immigrants as Sweden?
    Last edited by alhoon; May 22, 2019 at 07:30 AM.
    DIE: Diversity, Inclusion, Equality (Pun on SJWs, I am not far-right)
    _______________________________________________________
    Beta-tester for Darthmod Empire, the default modification for Empire Total War that does not ask for your money behind patreon.

    Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

  7. #47
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    5,939

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Is it not opposition to immigrants from the USA, Sweden, Nigeria and Egypt?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus

    Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I'm afraid of both far-right terrorism and Islamic extremist terrorism. I'm not afraid of conservatives or Muslims.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    That's a not really solid. P-value is the chance that the null-hypothesis is true in the things you observe, not necessarily that they have occurred by chance. Generally, you're much better using confidence intervals at 95%, which he does.
    I was having trouble thinking about how to explain it. The reason why I described it the way I did is because of population genetics. If you observe a pattern between samples from two populations that doesn't actually exist between the populations at large (the null hypothesis is true), then the p-value is identical to the chance the pattern could have occurred in the sampling due to chance despite it not being true outside the specific sample sets. I can't see why that wouldn't also be true with polling.

    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    What really perplexes me is... Nigeria and Egypt are really hardcore against Immigrants?! And USA is as pro-immigrants as Sweden?
    It's actually opposition in the UK to immigration from Nigeria, Egypt, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.


  9. #49
    alhoon's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chania, Greece
    Posts
    20,835

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    I was having trouble thinking about how to explain it. The reason why I described it the way I did is because of population genetics. If you observe a pattern between samples from two populations that doesn't actually exist between the populations at large (the null hypothesis is true), then the p-value is identical to the chance the pattern could have occurred in the sampling due to chance despite it not being true outside the specific sample sets. I can't see why that wouldn't also be true with polling.

    It's actually opposition in the UK to immigration from Nigeria, Egypt, etc.
    Wait, so the point of that graph was to say that "people dislike immigrants from nations that do crimes" ?
    That's ... not really a surprise. Whatever SJWs say, it is undeniable that people from poorer African countries would be more violent and harder to integrate. English don't dislike X people because they are from X, but because they do more crimes.
    DIE: Diversity, Inclusion, Equality (Pun on SJWs, I am not far-right)
    _______________________________________________________
    Beta-tester for Darthmod Empire, the default modification for Empire Total War that does not ask for your money behind patreon.

    Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

  10. #50

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    You are doing exactly the same by saying this. Each person implicated in politics thinks he is on the right side, on the side of the truth. Polarizing the debate and diabolizing your opponent (comment like "let them chip your brain") sound like a crusade to me. This is what I hate from SJW and this is what I hate from neoconservatives.



    Personally, I taught geography and chemistry in high school and most of the students were progressives. In university, the most "progressives" are often the youngest starting their first degree, but by most progressives I mean the most militant and dogmatic. Hard and unbreakable viewpoints, political dogma and zealots are less often seen in higher degree, probably has a consequence of maturity and intelligence.

    I think progressives are more represented among the smarter because "progressive" is a very wide concept with most of its ideas actually applied in the society. While conservatives bear poorly their name since they aren't actually wanting to maintain the current situation but to go back to the one from a few decades earlier. In my view, the problem is mostly the labeling. Most of the students grown up in a progressive world, so a true conservative mind for them is simply the situation they known since their birth. Progressive does not mean SJW.

    The new generation of conservatives (what I called neoconservatives) are generally focusing on battles already lost. For example homosexuality and abortion. Generally this a no-no for any smart and young people and a very efficient repulsive filtering the IQ of their new-members.


    I would like to point out that you are not objective in this matter, having been a teacher yourself. You are hardly going to admit or even honestly think you have been indoctrinating the students you taught, but that doesn't mean weren't passing on your views to your students and shaping how they think. Most of those who are progressive claim to be objective but are anything but that. I recall seeing it first hand. When I was with a friend watching their son as part of a high school debate contest, I noticed that the school had all kinds of referencez to Nazi concentration camps and the atrocities committed by the Germans but none on those committed by the Japanese, no mention of comfort women, or the Rape of Nanjing, or Manilla. There was plenty of information on the US bombing of Hiroshima, and the death and destruction caused, and quote. ed


    Teachers will work harder, give better letters of recommdndations,etc., for students they like than those students they don't particularly like, and they are more likely going g to like students that share their views. I.am not saying they wouldn't be helpful or anything to those students they disagree with, but I don't think they would push as hard, or their letters of recommendations would be quite as good, that is just human nature. They are more likdly to be subconsciously more.supportive for someone who share their views on climate change and abortion than a student who was a vocal opponent of both. That is more important on the higher degrees than on the lower levels, more important for prestigious schools than run of the mill ones. With good SAT/ACT scores, you can probably find a decent State University to get into, but you need a lot more if you want to get into a school like Harvard. Non progressive students would have a harder time getting in, so it results in a bias toward what you call progressive.
    The second is that students are younger, and more trusting of what their teachers tell them, and more susceptible to what they were told, and don't have the life experience to be more critical. For example, I am old enough to remember when NBC rigged GM trucks to explode, showing it on the news until GM caught them rigging the truck to catch fire, and NBC's rather lame response. I also remember being.taught in school how people in the middle ages thought the earth was flat, and Columbus proved it was round, although they don't particularly false history anymore. Young people don't have the life experiences to be critical of what they are told, or even a little cynical. I remember my friend's son saying Trayvon Martin was only shot because he was wearing a hoodie (the fact that Martin was on top of Zimmer was top of him pounding his head into the ground wasn't mentioned). The students don't have the experience to recognize that a picture of an 12 year old Trayvon was shown instead of the 16 year old he was, and picture of a laughing Zimmerman instead of the batter Zimmerman in the police photos is really just a form of propoganda, or that the claims that if the roles were reversed, the outcome would have been different in Martin trials (the rolss were reversed years before Martin shooting, black neighborhood watchman Roderick Scott shot and killed an unarmed white student and was aquitted) , so they believe what the media and teachers tell them.

    The issue with political correctness is that the left or progressives as you want to call them, don't want to admit that they actually support censorship as long as it supports their views. Political Correctness is a way to practice the censorship and bias that you condemn in your opponents without having to be honest to admit it. It sounds much better that what you isn't the same thing as what you accuse your opponents of doing. Unlike them, you are not practicing censorship, you are just combating hate crime when you restrict what pwople say.












    E

  11. #51

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Wait, so the point of that graph was to say that "people dislike immigrants from nations that do crimes" ?
    That's ... not really a surprise. Whatever SJWs say, it is undeniable that people from poorer African countries would be more violent and harder to integrate. English don't dislike X people because they are from X, but because they do more crimes.
    Just like a hallmark is the guarantee of purity of precious metal, so the use of the term 'SJW' guarantees that some racist or sexist gibberish will follow.

    From the 2011 census, 0f the total non-UK born population, over a third (37%, 2.7 million ) were born in Europe, a third in the Middle East and Asia (34%, 2.6 million), a fifth (17%, 1.3 million) in Africa. A good many of those Africans are of Asian origin, or white.
    Last edited by mongrel; May 22, 2019 at 01:52 PM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  12. #52

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    The issue with political correctness is that the left or progressives as you want to call them, don't want to admit that they actually support censorship as long as it supports their views. Political Correctness is a way to practice the censorship and bias that you condemn in your opponents without having to be honest to admit it. It sounds much better that what you isn't the same thing as what you accuse your opponents of doing. Unlike them, you are not practicing censorship, you are just combating hate crime when you restrict what pwople say.
    All very true, whoever has the authority in their hands will tend to censor: however, it's equally disingenuous for the reactionary right to complain about how terrible a thing censorship is when they have wholeheartedly supported it for the previous 600 years.
    Resident Language Geek
    Baseless Assertions on the Celts Since 1996

  13. #53

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmetiacos View Post
    All very true, whoever has the authority in their hands will tend to censor: however, it's equally disingenuous for the reactionary right to complain about how terrible a thing censorship is when they have wholeheartedly supported it for the previous 600 years.
    The "reactionary right" hasn't existed for 600 years.

  14. #54
    Praefectus
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,003

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Wait, so the point of that graph was to say that "people dislike immigrants from nations that do crimes" ?
    That's ... not really a surprise. Whatever SJWs say, it is undeniable that people from poorer African countries would be more violent and harder to integrate. English don't dislike X people because they are from X, but because they do more crimes.
    Migrants from poor and disrupted countries are definitely more likely to "do crime" in their first generation in a new place, its part of the price of charity.

    It might be true that Joe Blow in the street does statistical analysis of crime reports before he comes to his conclusions. I think its more because they dislike people from various places for the same old reasons people always do and find justifications for their actions afterwards [if: (notsame) then: (hostility+1)]. Of course my experience is personal not statistical so its not really helpful, but i see it in my country and I have seen it in the UK too.

    I think pressure on material resources creates fear, and the most different outgroup stats to get it in the neck. I think in most traditionally pink-skinned countries that brown-skinned people are the most out of the out-groups (taking over from the Jews or Catholics or Protestants in past centuries) but a lot of work has been put into demonising Islam (by the Saudis mostly, but some help from some Western Media and governments).

    Questions like "does a larger number of Muslims lead to a larger number of Muslims terrorists?" seem to pick out a politically hot point to study while ignoring some other interesting areas like "does having a stratified society with an aristocracy and monarchy lead to injustice?" and "to what extent does scapegoating keep corrupt politicians in power?".
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

  15. #55

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Migrants from poor and disrupted countries are definitely more likely to "do crime" in their first generation in a new place, its part of the price of charity.

    It might be true that Joe Blow in the street does statistical analysis of crime reports before he comes to his conclusions. I think its more because they dislike people from various places for the same old reasons people always do and find justifications for their actions afterwards [if: (notsame) then: (hostility+1)]. Of course my experience is personal not statistical so its not really helpful, but i see it in my country and I have seen it in the UK too.

    I think pressure on material resources creates fear, and the most different outgroup stats to get it in the neck. I think in most traditionally pink-skinned countries that brown-skinned people are the most out of the out-groups (taking over from the Jews or Catholics or Protestants in past centuries) but a lot of work has been put into demonising Islam (by the Saudis mostly, but some help from some Western Media and governments).

    Questions like "does a larger number of Muslims lead to a larger number of Muslims terrorists?" seem to pick out a politically hot point to study while ignoring some other interesting areas like "does having a stratified society with an aristocracy and monarchy lead to injustice?" and "to what extent does scapegoating keep corrupt politicians in power?".
    Or the question does austerity lead to prostitution?.Instead some people are fussed about some obscure person's failed academic career.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

    "Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmetiacos View Post
    All very true, whoever has the authority in their hands will tend to censor: however, it's equally disingenuous for the reactionary right to complain about how terrible a thing censorship is when they have wholeheartedly supported it for the previous 600 years.
    Very true, but at least they did not try to hide the fact they were engaged in censorship. The right compalaint against the left in regards to Political Correctness is that the left is trying to hide the fact. And it is really hypocritically to.complain for 600 years about censorship, and then engage in the very thing you have decried when you have a chance, and don't even have the decency to admit.

  17. #57

    Default Re: Political Correctness is Reducing Academic Freedom at Cambridge - Noah Carl Sacked

    Quote Originally Posted by Common Soldier View Post
    Very true, but at least they did not try to hide the fact they were engaged in censorship. The right compalaint against the left in regards to Political Correctness is that the left is trying to hide the fact. And it is really hypocritically to.complain for 600 years about censorship, and then engage in the very thing you have decried when you have a chance, and don't even have the decency to admit.
    This would be true if it were John Stuart Mill, Gerald Gardiner* and John Calder calling for censorship, but this new-ish identitarian "left" are nothing to do with that tradition of free speech.

    *the Lady Chatterley lawyer, not the founder of Wicca
    Resident Language Geek
    Baseless Assertions on the Celts Since 1996

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •