Thread: [Discussion/Decision] Regular Curial Announcements

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default [Discussion/Decision] Regular Curial Announcements

Perhaps something along these lines has been discussed hither and thither before, and I've just missed it, but regardless may be worth visiting/revisiting.

Doing the curial report got me thinking of how we can get some of that information more out there than beyond the respective threads. The first thing that came to mind was forumwide announcements. It can certainly be done and allowed from an administrative standpoint, within reason and with certain stipulations of course. The only real issue is the continuity of content, which is likely to be somewhat dependent on the recent curial activity so can either be a lot or very little depending. But aside from what may be considered the obvious (basically anything put in the curial report already, and just reposted to a degree in a forumwide announcement), what else would be feasible and worthwhile, not to mention most relevant to the curia, to add to such a thing?

To add, beyond the actual content of the post, it should be something that Curial officers are most in charge of, namely the Consul and Primus Praefect. But it should be something fairly strictly curial, and while perhaps akin to things content staff does (especially news staff) it should still just be a curial run affair (it seems obvious thinking about it or even saying it, but that distinction still feels right to make now).

This is best as a discussion more than a decision for now so hopefully something more solid can come from it to be made into a proposal. And while this may not necessarily be something adding too much to the Curia, it is at least fairly laid back and easy to start discussing. And who knows, something done well with it may be a good way to get more citizens to look at the Curia more often, when there is a more obvious and tangible link to it across the site.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: [Discussion/Decision] Regular Curial Announcements

What would be the point of this that cannot be achieved by the curial report, the internal commentary thread/occasional inquiries in the CCT, and people simply meandering in and looking as they wish? Simply put, curial matters are a large part irrelevant to the wider audience and thus do not need that wider exposure, and regular forumwide announcements sounds to me like it would get stale very quickly. At this juncture i ask for why this idea would be necessary in the first place.

What could be viable is a "Curial Affairs" blog of some sort, still highlighting its activities, but not so front and center as I frankly find the Curia has no place to be when given regular boardwide red letters (or whatever else) atop forum sections.

If one wishes to address the citizens already a part of the structure, then ideally you could create something(s) for disinterested citizens to actually apply themselves towards, rather than flash the very things that didn't catch their regular interest in the first place.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Curial awards (this includes citizenship) for site contributions are worthy for front page announcements.

Posting the recent awards is a great and visible thank-you.

This tells even the occasional reader that members are recognized for their contributions. Best of all this would be a link and a great summary of these contributions.

The newest reader starts with the front page. How better to inspire than a bold thank you for contributions?

GrnEyedDvl's Avatar Liberalism is a Socially Transmitted Disease
    Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

There is actually a spot already reserved for this in the Articles section of the site.

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    What would be the point of this that cannot be achieved by the curial report, the internal commentary thread/occasional inquiries in the CCT, and people simply meandering in and looking as they wish? Simply put, curial matters are a large part irrelevant to the wider audience and thus do not need that wider exposure, and regular forumwide announcements sounds to me like it would get stale very quickly. At this juncture i ask for why this idea would be necessary in the first place.

What could be viable is a "Curial Affairs" blog of some sort, still highlighting its activities, but not so front and center as I frankly find the Curia has no place to be when given regular boardwide red letters (or whatever else) atop forum sections.

If one wishes to address the citizens already a part of the structure, then ideally you could create something(s) for disinterested citizens to actually apply themselves towards, rather than flash the very things that didn't catch their regular interest in the first place.
    A lot of people look at the forumwide announcements (just see the number of views). A lot of people that may not know of, or at least frequent the Curia much, if at all.

It feels somewhat weird to myself too to potentially have something Curial emblazoned across the top of the rest of the forum pages, however beyond front page announcements, blogs (which I don't think is a viable way to get out Curial information beyond just the citizenry) and what GED linked below for articles, the forumwide announcements are really the best thing.

The point of some discussion here though is to find the meaningful content for any such announcement or articles, beyond anything you may find in those curial reports. Sure, knowing recently passed citizens, proposals, etc., may be sorta interesting and informative from time to time, but perhaps there is more that the Curia can put out there. Something beyond the simple, obvious and easy info that could be put out there more effectively.

In fact...

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Curial awards (this includes citizenship) for site contributions are worthy for front page announcements.

Posting the recent awards is a great and visible thank-you.

This tells even the occasional reader that members are recognized for their contributions. Best of all this would be a link and a great summary of these contributions.

The newest reader starts with the front page. How better to inspire than a bold thank you for contributions?
    Posting summaries of some sort for recent awards (perhaps even staff ones, something for staff to decide internally first though, definitely curial awards can be included though) would be nice for most members I'm sure. On that idea, maybe even summaries of Tribunal cases? Not necessarily within Curial remit, but with the link of magistrates from the curia to the tribunal, it isn't the biggest stretch, and even regardless of that, it isn't necessarily a bad thing for the Curia to branch out a bit and take a small initiative on something in another area of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by GrnEyedDvl View Post
    There is actually a spot already reserved for this in the Articles section of the site.
    Definitely something I can work on updating at the very least, and can become more regular now (I'll update the basic info now). However, I still think forumwide announcements may be of the most current benefit, and beyond that, finding more sorts of content that the Curia can actually contribute in either format would be the bigger long term issue.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

You have released two articles about Curia on the right side of the site now, i think thats enough space to advertise for the curia.

Announcements should be restricted to more interesting things like competitions and similar content things or staff announcements.

I have a problem, when the Curia is mixed up with Administration.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; May 12, 2019 at 03:00 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clodia_Metelli View Post
    You have released two articles about Curia on the right side of the site now, i think thats enough space to advertise for the curia.

Announcements should be restricted to more interesting things like competitions and similar content things or staff announcements.

I have a problem, when the Curia is mixed up with Administration.
    A basic guide to the Curia and the latest Curial report; hardly enough to be good and settle things for the long term. At the very least to get it updated and established in articles.

Who is to say what is considered interesting except for each individual? We try to make all forumwide announcements interesting and pretty, but that's always secondary to being informative, which a Curial announcement should be sure to strive for too.

What the Curia means to site administration is still and always going to have different meanings or visions for different people, but the Curia has always been at least somewhat related to site administration, one way or another, it is not completely outside of its remit to consider utilizing forumwide announcements, if done with proper intent and appropriate content.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Ok, then please do me a favor and mark curial announcements as such, so that i can differentiate them from staff announcements and ignore them.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clodia_Metelli View Post
    Ok, then please do me a favor and mark curial announcements as such, so that i can differentiate them from staff announcements and ignore them.
    It would be misleading to not mark them in such a way that is obviously curial in the first place, and thankfully you already have a tool you can utilize to ignore them if you wish, just as long as your optic nerve is healthy and functioning that is.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Two further things, then. Firstly, to identify how regular these announcements are supposed to be. Monthly? Weekly? You'll have a strong metric for how much you need to put in to make the proverbial minimum, and really, that's one of the only ways you can judge these things - by how sustainable they are in the low times.

I'm still partial to a regular blog as being far more appropriate and reserving forumwide announcements for one-shot or seriously important things. I'm still at a loss why precisely this is necessary now, of all times. Things broadcasted on a regular basis shouldn't need to be put into shoes they don't fit if the very same proposal for broadcasting it is at a loss for what makes it truly worth a regular schedule.

(which I don't think is a viable way to get out Curial information beyond just the citizenry)
    With this I have one of my unusual streams of optimism. Make the blogs interesting, regular and worthwhile, and traffic will drift towards them. There's not much to read and if I'm being brutally honest, reading it over time gives me a 'same old' feeling when reading it now. It's a barely living part of the site with its own little core and a thirst for nourishment. I'd give it that nourishment if I wasn't so bloody indecisive on topics, but I'm considering something regular that's purely about modding. How's that relevant, you ask? Variety and a stream of blogs moving along could very well notify the average non-curial member (who can all at least see the sidebar) that things are moving and things are getting more interesting. So while yes, it's pretty dead, it's dead because of that unfortunate cycle of neglect.

If nothing else, the forumwide announcement could link to the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Hader View Post
    The point of some discussion here though is to find the meaningful content for any such announcement or articles, beyond anything you may find in those curial reports. Sure, knowing recently passed citizens, proposals, etc., may be sorta interesting and informative from time to time, but perhaps there is more that the Curia can put out there. Something beyond the simple, obvious and easy info that could be put out there more effectively.

Posting summaries of some sort for recent awards (perhaps even staff ones, something for staff to decide internally first though, definitely curial awards can be included though) would be nice for most members I'm sure. On that idea, maybe even summaries of Tribunal cases? Not necessarily within Curial remit, but with the link of magistrates from the curia to the tribunal, it isn't the biggest stretch, and even regardless of that, it isn't necessarily a bad thing for the Curia to branch out a bit and take a small initiative on something in another area of the site.
    To do this we need to look at what the curia does, everything it does. To fit the content into the shoe without trying to change the shoe. One aspect that seems to be neglected is the Curia's suggestion-making format and potential for initiatives to help members. Encouraging more regular participation in this and hosting more discussions on aspects of the site could provide some meaty contributions to what you're proposing. You'll certainly not have a lack of citizens bemoaning the lack of conversation on various topics, so perhaps it's time to encourage and push for those discussions to be had in favor of the Curia getting productive with what it wants and getting people involved to see and critique exactly what it wants. Awards are all well and good, but if I may say so, not quite regular enough or worthy of active writing. But I freely admit a bias on awards, so there we go.

If staff awards (and a highlight of why people get them, I feel this is a critical and sometimes utterly ignored aspect of these things that people should be privy to) can be included, so much the better, perhaps the field will even out. But it seems to me that Curial awards these days are definately not the norm to the extent they'd carry a blog, let alone big bold forumwide text. This is more in response to others who believe that awards would carry themselves. I caution against that thinking.

There's not going to be a discreet macguffin that the curia spawns for something like this, but if we take into account what the curia does, we can get a pretty good idea of what exactly it's capable of and what we have to work with. From there we need to determine if it's sustainable on whatever regular basis is decided and if it's worthy of being a part of this initiative, or perhaps improved so that it becomes so.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Blog Entries

As this thread has had no posts in over 28 days, I'll be archiving this and marking as abandoned.