Thread: Units can run through enemy units?

Default Units can run through enemy units?

Hi All! I gave this mod a try the other day, all in all it's pretty great. A tad slow in battles so I've gone with a submod that does a 25% damage increase to speed up battles.

While testing some custom battles, I've noticed that If I have some legionaries engaged in a melee, I can pretty much order them to form up behind the enemy unit and they will walk/run right through the enemy unit and do so with minimal or no casualties. This way I can encircle any enemy unit - even in narrow city streets.

Did anybody else notice this too? Is there a fix for this?

thanks in advance

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Units can run through enemy units?

There is no fix for it, just dont use this cheat.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Oh that's a bit disappointing :/ Is that a core RTW2 issue?

I feel like when I first switched from vanilla to DeI I found that using this tactic got your unit decimated. Something about automatic hits against units that are moving. Was that never the case, if it isn’t so now?

antred's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    There is no fix for it, just dont use this cheat.
    Problem is, the AI does it too sometimes. I only ever noticed it with pike phalanx and hoplite units, but basically they'll engage you from the front and then somehow rearrange their unit and sort of move through it a bit and thus turn what started out as a closed battle line into a messy blob. Not a DeI issue, though, since as far as I recall, it is has existed (to varying degrees) in pretty much all iterations of the game, even in the base vanilla Rome 2.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex

With pikes and hoplites it is different bug as it is related to how game engine works for phalanx but AI never does that with regular units.

Unit mass is only factor that can have an effect on it, for example I can make it impossible for unit A to not be able to walk through unit B but it would impact all other scenarios since one would need to have mass multiple times higher than the other units...which of course would only work for such units and auto cancel the effect on any similar units while also breaking stuff like cavalry charges. It would also not allow skirmishers to even fall back through own lines.

I really miss that in Rome 1 it own soldiers would step to the side and create small corridors for friendlies to pass through.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

antred's Avatar Senator

I really miss that in Rome 1 it own soldiers would step to the side and create small corridors for friendlies to pass through.
    Yes, indeed. Rome 2 definitely brought some engine improvements over Rome, but in a lot of ways, the battle engine in Rome 1 actually felt more refined than in Rome 2. For instance, in Rome 1, legionaries would normally kind of try to flood around and envelop spear infantry formations (unless you had guard mode enabled, in which case they would stay put in a solid block), but they wouldn't just morph through the enemy line and merge into a blob with the enemy unit.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer
    Artifex Modding Staff

In a way that did happen in RTW, but instead of creating small corridors units often tend to temporary be in loose mode then once cavalry for instance would run through the unit will retain the close formation.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar BEARDED MODERATION
    Artifex Content Staff Modding Staff

Yeah, me too.

Quote Originally Posted by antred View Post
    Yes, indeed. Rome 2 definitely brought some engine improvements over Rome, but in a lot of ways, the battle engine in Rome 1 actually felt more refined than in Rome 2. For instance, in Rome 1, legionaries would normally kind of try to flood around and envelop spear infantry formations (unless you had guard mode enabled, in which case they would stay put in a solid block), but they wouldn't just morph through the enemy line and merge into a blob with the enemy unit.
    Many people believe that and I can surely feel them.