Thread: Phalanx’s weakness and battle tactics

Icon5 Phalanx’s weakness and battle tactics

Hi guy, i plays this mod because it’s realistic and their contents are so exiting.Now i’m playing Roman in normal campaign, and now i face the mighty Ptolemaic.I have played the Kingdom of Macedonia i know the Phalanx units are so powerful,How can i beat them, due to their formation are not broken easily. How should i do
    I appreciate all comment and thank you for this unbelievable mod it made my dream come to
    everything in this mod is wonderful. Fome Thailand Die’s fanclub.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 05, 2019 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Fixed format.

Default Re: Phalanx’s weakness and battle tactics

I don't play Rome, but when i fight against Phalanx, usually i just send the infantry (either good or bad, i don't care about the infantry) and always focus in winning the flanks with cavalry. Always use cavalry with bonus against other cavalry, elephants and if posible a fast unit of spears.
    If you win the cavalry fight you can then charge from the back of the pikes.

The classic anvil and hammer. Nothing works better for me.

Regular pikes won’t do much damage against Roman heavy infantry, just make sure you’re sending legionnaires or principes and sending your hastani or other light troops against their non-phalanx infantry. Of course, don’t expect your heavy infantry to win frontally, but they aren’t going to lose many troops either. So win the battle at the flanks and then swing around to envelope the phalanx. It’s best if you turn auto fire off on your flanks so that you can save the pila for the backs of the pikes.

Peltast pikes are a different story. Only a few factions have units with the short pike ability and Ptolomoi are one of them. Just run, really. Which is tough because those guys have 3 speed, but since they rely on the slower phalanx formation to attack you can usually keep away with a lot of micro. Focus your ranged units on them, and just generally treat them like you would elephants or other highly dangerous enemies. The issue with these pikes is that they do significant AP damage, and since Roman infantry is really only powerful because of its heavy armor and good stamina, short pikes hit where it hurts.

Ptolomaic armies usually have 1-2 short pikes at most. Bear in mind that their regular pikes are a bit lighter than other factions, making them more vulnerable to missiles. However, you can usually plan to be outmatched by their missiles. Their strength is in light, mobile infantry that serves as an effective counter to the slower, heavier Seleucid and Greek phalanx based armies. Your infantry will wipe theirs though, so focus on your strength and don’t try to out missile or out cavalary them.

Foederatus

Lure the unit in, hit them on the right (non-shield side) and rear with whatever you have available for that Pike unit: Missiles preferably, and for as long as possible; followed by charges with cavalry (pull them back, line them up, and rinse & repeat), and if those two aren't available, then some decent infantry (preferably with Armour-piercing damage).

Since Phalanxes by their nature are slow, you have to exploit that, and - if possible; separate them so the AI doesn't present a massive, single, uninterrupted line.