Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [submod] FLAGS redone v1.0 - HELP NEEDED > #1 post

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default [submod] FLAGS redone v1.0 - HELP NEEDED > #1 post

FLAGS

v.1.0
    ... COMING SOON ...

I'll need some of your time, if possible.
    While Augustusng has done researches to find the best suitable names for emergent factions, I produced their flags.
    There is a total of 160 new flags (coming from internet, drawn by myself, adapted from troy) and some vanilla fixes too.
    Since there are 4 types of files required by the game... I'll need to export something like 900 dds files.
    May I gently ask to share the work?
    You'll need GIMP (or photoshop, if you know what you're doing) to properly convert a png into a dds (don't use online/crappy programs 'cause they'll inevitably loose quality).

Here you can check how flags have been assigned throughout the whole map (GC campaign).
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/r95n7l...I_DEF.zip/file

If you have some time to spare then PM me (here or in discord) and I'll assign you what to do and the needed material.
    Thanks.

a preview of all DeI flags (GC and Alexander)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

----------

Last edited by Jake Armitage; October 20, 2020 at 03:39 PM.

Patrician

Default Re: [submod] FLAGS redone A [upd may.05.19]

reserved

Default Re: [submod] FLAGS redone A [upl. may.05.19]

Cool mod. I think in DeI some flags lack consistency. Daci for example has wooden planks running through it? Clashes with the general style.

I know this is Grand Campaign only but Sardinian Balari use the same flag as Sardes which I find annoying.

The Lucani flag changes from campaign to campaign.

And Taras as an emergent faction in the Grand Campaign may as well use the DLC flag.

Patrician

yeah, that's exactly what I want to do but I would prefer not to use flags from other campaigns, so to have an unique feeling
    I've already done the Taras one (check it on the spoiler image) but I wrongly assigned it to the civil war apulii faction (who are dacians, didn't even know they existed), I'll have to correct it and see if there is an emergent taras faction in grand campaign
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; May 11, 2019 at 08:07 AM.

Keep up the good work, Jake!

Feel free to use Cyrene's Expanded flag if you'd like

Patrician

yeah thx, I'll surely use it

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Great idea Jake (please TWC) - I also agree that some of the present DeI faction icons don't fit the aesthetic that most of the other faction icons share.

Here's one example of a major DeI playable faction's custom-made icon I don't think really fits at the moment that could do with a change.

1. What is up with that bevel & emboss (outer for symbol, inner for stroke)?
    2. Alpha transparency is messed up on the edges.
    3. There shouldn't be black lines running through the symbol in the middle, unless the faction's tertiary colour is black.
    4. The blue cloth behind the symbol should be a flat colour, like the rest of the large icons. When it's 64x64 (like this), it should have a weathered, clay-like texture overlaying it (like this).
    5. The gold colours fit with Attila's playable faction icons / Mobjay's "Golden Emblems" mod, but not ROME II's.

In comparison, here's a really good custom-made icon made by Magas of Cyrene for his Cyrene Expanded mod which ticks all the right boxes (while the weathered, clay-like texture has been applied to this 256x256 version - which is to appear on the flag models, therefore needs to be flat and neutral (like this) - this was specifically done for a forum post and not a flag, so it's fine).

1. No bevel & emboss.
    2. Alpha transparency is smooth.
    3. Shows off the faction's colour scheme; black (symbol fill + circle shape's stroke), yellow (circle shape's fill), white (symbol's lines).
    4. Flat yellow colour behind the faction symbol - no cloth / other texture (minus the weathered, clay-like texture - like I said, I believe that was just for the forum post which is fine).
    5. No gold.
    Last edited by Benjin; May 13, 2019 at 09:39 AM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Patrician

yeah , they all will be 99% vanilla style (and honestly I'll redo the dust magas did 'cause it's not similar to vanilla's and it's needed for 64 pixels only, not the 256 nor the 24)

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Nice! Like I said, I think Magas just did that weathered, clay-like / dusty texture for his forum post; the version ingame I don't think is like that (if you contact him I think he can provide it without you having to make those changes yourself).
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Patrician

ah, yeah, could be, effectivley rom_cyrenaica is quite near alphabetically

Just a clarification, that Cyrene emblem was actually made by Jake and ep1c_fail

The one that'll be used in-game was made by me and retouched by Dominus:

Patrician

No I didn't do that, I remember I just posted something horrible more than a year ago.
    Yours is really nice too.

Patrician

Here is how I see the new flags for starting factions (playable or not), there are some DeI flags who surely need rework.

Some have to be refined still.
    Let me know what you think.

Very nice

Not so sure on Maurya though, I feel like it has lost a lot of detail.

Very cool! Although I would prefer to keep the wings on the Atropatkan flag from the original, otherwise they all look really good

Patrician

Keep in mind they are WIPs. Maurya surely needs to be balanced, for example.
    The "beauty" of a flag resides on base drawings (which I'm taking from the net, the only one I completely redraw was arachosia) and colors. It is just a matter of balancing.
    Sometimes you're just lucky to find some good net drawings (like for dacia,) sometimes you'll have to spend time on them.

@Dumanthis: what do you mean by wings? Add wings to the image I edited? Or you simply prefer the vanilla one? Which is surely good but it is too much out of context imo (like the Massiyli flag)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    @Dumanthis: what do you mean by wings? Add wings to the image I edited? Or you simply prefer the vanilla one? Which is surely good but it is too much out of context imo (like the Massiyli flag)
    I mean the I would prefer the wings of the original on the new one, like below with the feathers detail. This is a matter of taste however I do not know if it would even fit the space of icon properly

Patrician

eh, that's too big, man, ratio is simply wrong.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; October 20, 2020 at 01:25 PM.

Great idea, and great eye for detail and design! I think that this will really add a new layer of polish to the grand campaign once it's finished. Thanks for sharing!

Patrician

CHECK POST #1
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; October 20, 2020 at 01:24 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast