Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team work for some Orc Helmets - Come see and help!

leo.civil.uefs's Avatar É nóis que vôa bruxão!

Icon3 Team work for some Orc Helmets - Come see and help!

Hi guys.

I'm starting this team project as a try to get my hands in some models I'm in desperate need.

As you might know, I'm a modder of Third Age Total war, and after 8 years, we have almost all the armies of middle earth modelled and looking like the movies!

Now the last thing we need is some helmets to be placed over the ugly faces of the Orcs of Gundabad.

I found all the helmets done by a modder who mods for BFTME2 game, but he never gave me any answer when I asked for them. Its really stupid that we need to make again the work someone has already done ... but not all people are willing to share their work so...

So my proposal is: Knowing that there are many skilled modellers in these forums, each one could take the task of making as many helmets as possible (1, 2... why not 3?).

I think You guys got the idea!

If you're willing to collaborate, choose one or more helmets from the image above and post a comment here with its number so that we can avoid two modellers working in the same helmet.

Now don't take me wrong but I think our work here will only be worth it if we manage to get helmets as beautiful as the ones in the image, so its a challangeling task and any modeller should be humble enough to evaluate his capacities before spending time on it. Can you do it? Good! Don't think so? Then let it to others.
    This is no competition and everyone is welcome, I'm just being pragmatic (and a little bit synical, since my skills in modelling are like ZERO )

PS: Only the model and its uv map is needed, no need of textures. I will apply the textures later by myself in order to have a standart texture for all helmets.

Come help, guys!

CURRENT PROGRESS:

DONE: 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12
    Last edited by leo.civil.uefs; May 28, 2019 at 01:31 PM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: Team work for some Orc Helmets - Come see and help!

Leo...you are on the crossroad many modders reach , espesialy those that did not helped other modders in the past.
    The most common excuse (you already used it so many times) will be "not much time" but TATW is like a magnet so i think someone will help sooner or later.
    Conclusion: When someone asks your help do not always deny it. There will be a momment that you will need his/her help also.
    Workshop is not only a source of models but forging the proper attitude for modders.
    Remember this advice. I hope you will have these helmets asap.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Leo...you are on the crossroad many modders reach , espesialy those that did not helped other modders in the past.
    The most common excuse (you already used it so many times) will be "not much time" but TATW is like a magnet so i think someone will help sooner or later.
    Conclusion: When someone asks your help do not always deny it. There will be a momment that you will need his/her help also.
    Workshop is not only a source of models but forging the proper attitude for modders.
    Remember this advice. I hope you will have these helmets asap.

ANSWER
    I think you're confusing "help" with "joining a team".

Arguing that I do not help other modders in these forums is the most strange thing I've heard here during all these years.

But I will throw out a complete answer for the general public here.

I can't, and I will not join any other team than my own, than my mod. And everyone who knows my work in these forums will understand the honesty of this statement.

When you spend 8 years in constant modding, creating stuff that will feed many other mods than yours, and this becomes your main hobby in life so that when you're not modding to complete the huge amount of stuff needed to finish your mod you need to rest to avoid a colapse, then you need to find more broad ways to help other modders, and thats what I did. I've written many tutorials, answered hundreds of questions about modding and allowed anyone to use my own stuff, dozens of custom settlements to be used as basis for new ones people are willing to create.

Every week I get a new PM asking me to join a team and make custom settlements for a million diferent mods. I'm a single human being, with only two arms.

So if the asking is "stop what you're doing right now and join my team", the answer will Always be NO.

Besides, I'm in no crossroad. I've got help from many modders in the past and thats absolutelly natural, check the credits and permissions section in my mod's thread.

Lets keep focused in the thread subject!

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

I can make these helmets, but they dont look very orcish to me.

bitterhowl's Avatar Campidoctor

How about this one?

https://www.pinterest.ru/pin/369084131944713317/
    I mean the whole model not only the helmet (helmet is a bit strange, as if the soldier is blind)

My sister, do you still recall the blue Hasan and Khalkhin-Gol?
    Russian warship is winning. Proofs needed? Go find yourself!

OK just to clarify what i actually meant. I think the example helmets look too precise/pristine and a little too fancy here and there for an orcish style IMHO. Still, if you want to stick with those designs, i would suggest making them little asymetric or imperfect. At least i would try to do them more imperfect. BTW there are some helmet designs for Gundabad orcs in the hobbit movies that you dont have here. The designs you have are actually derived from the movie but not exactly like in the movie. For example nr 10 in the movie looks more like a skull on the face part. There are many other differences with each of these designs compared to the movies, but they are all based in most part each on one type of helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by bitterhowl View Post
    How about this one?

https://www.pinterest.ru/pin/369084131944713317/
    I mean the whole model not only the helmet (helmet is a bit strange, as if the soldier is blind)
    Interesting concept but lets not deviate THAT MUCH from the movies, not that I'm obcessed with the movies but its the most generic source we have, pleases the majority and has a good excuse to be done like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladyvid View Post
    OK just to clarify what i actually meant. I think the example helmets look too precise/pristine and a little too fancy here and there for an orcish style IMHO. Still, if you want to stick with those designs, i would suggest making them little asymetric or imperfect. At least i would try to do them more imperfect. BTW there are some helmet designs for Gundabad orcs in the hobbit movies that you dont have here. The designs you have are actually derived from the movie but not exactly like in the movie. For example nr 10 in the movie looks more like a skull on the face part. There are many other differences with each of these designs compared to the movies, but they are all based in most part each on one type of helmet.
    First of all, thanks for volunteering. Welcome.

I got your point, really.

You seem to be a perfectionist, wich is good. But I think you're taking the entire thing to na unecessary level of realism/perfection for this Project.

I don't even think asymetry would be noticed ingame, unless you make each side completly diferent, which would not match the movies or any other concept.

About concepts from the movie not seen in this image, yes I believe they are there, but does it really worth it to make them EXACLY like the movies?

The point here is, this image is a free, good source. Using it saves us lots of work.
    The guy who made these helmets spent some time researching the movies. We just need to "copy" them.

I will make nr 7 first, it seems to be one of the more common types in the movies.

Are you only looking at Gundabad orc helmets or do you have in mind Mordor as well? What about Moria? I made a helmet quite similar to #3 *not as high quality as that but sufficiently similar* some time ago.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Here is my version of helmet 7:

Is this satisfactory?

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I think it would be better if the nose guard was a bit broader and the eye holes a bit bigger / more to the sides.

Ok i will show the adjustment later, but the overall geometry is allright with you? I already made the top fin a bit wider, i can make those adjustments you asked, but is that all? The eyeholes are rather big, i think with a broader nasal that will also move the eyeholes to the sides like you are saying,

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Looks overally good imo. Maybe looking at this image there seems to be an extension going down from the cheek protection and the front-upper side seems to be proportionally bigger / more pronounced.

How about now:

I extended and reshaped the cheek plates - you cant see the curve from those shots but its more or less curved around the jawline, and the forehead is more rounded and extended both to the front and sideways, and what you mentioned earlier the wider nose and eye holes. Also the reshaped fin on top.

Excellent skills and an excellent result.
    Sure its satisfactory.

Araval comments were right (thanks for pointing improvements)

Now my own, I think the eye holes are still small. Check again the image in my first post.

As a side note, I would like to ask you that, if possible, make the uv maps as friendly as possible so I could tweak the textures later.

Thanks!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Memory View Post
    Are you only looking at Gundabad orc helmets or do you have in mind Mordor as well? What about Moria? I made a helmet quite similar to #3 *not as high quality as that but sufficiently similar* some time ago.

Only gundabad!!!

OK i will make the eye holes larger. I guess they should extend more or less up to where there are now rivets on the sides close to eye holes? Tell me if so, im at work now so wont be able to adjust it for a while anyway, but it would be good to know if my assumptions are correct.

edit:

As for the UV map, its quite simple i think: the forehead + nasal is mapped from the front as one piece of texture, and the remaining part is mapped from the side, i will show you later the exact texture map.
    Last edited by Vladyvid; May 13, 2019 at 12:47 AM.

Yes. It looks perfect now!

Thanks for the effort, man!

What u want to do next?

By the way...

Meanwhile, Im doing my part.

Finishing the last details of the bodies and weapons.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast