Thread: Changing Hero Upkeep

Icon5 Changing Hero Upkeep

Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure where this thread would appropriately fit, since it's specifying one particular issue that I have with the game. I use mods to alternate my game so that I can focus more on battles. As it is, the AI armies love to abuse their way in whichever way they can so as to block the player from having a great time.

I've installed a No Army Upkeep mod, where every unit in my army is not affected by their respective upkeep. Simple, and it's player only, which gives me an advantage over the AI. The problem here, is the Heroes that are recruited or gifted. They apparently have their own personal upkeep, and do not get affected by the mod UNLESS they are embedded into a Lord's army. Otherwise, they're walking money-throwers throughout the map.

At first, this didn't bother me, but it becomes a problem when their upkeep seems to increase as more are hired. As it is, about 1200 upkeep is solely from five heroes for the Lizardmen faction. I got a mod to avoid any sort of upkeep from appearing, so to see this saddens my intentions of not paying my men (or, well, lizards).

I have the PFM that allows me to see what the mod has affected versus everything else that could be altered in the game. I rather not mess with anything, since I am doing all of this for the very first time just today. So, with all of this said, is there a way to only affect hero unit upkeep for just the player? Or, based on what I've found, do I have to alter the hero upkeep on the main_units table?

If I do that, would mean the AI will have no hero upkeep, which what I want. I want them to keep spending money, whereas I don't need to. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Changing Hero Upkeep

Can you give a link to the mod you are using to alter the upkeep for the player only?

Yes, it's called No Upkeep, Player Only. The author has been insistent that it should work without any changes on his end, but this particular issue still seems to be persistent on my end.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...rchtext=upkeep

The thing is, based on what I remembered, everything was fine until the latest DLC release. Since then, everything was up in the air due to multiple mods not working at the same time, had to use a mod manager, had to go back to a prior launcher version, etc. etc.. But now, CA has done something where the current launcher is capable of launching mods correctly, but this mod (even by itself) can't seem to fully deal with the Heroes on it's own.

I do also have images, if you wish to view them as well. Before and after acquiring a Hero, and watch it go up whenever a new Hero is hired.

Patrician Artifex

if I try to open it with RPFM, it says the campaign_difficulty_handicap_effects has an issue, table definition is not correct. I suppose the mod creator didn't update if properly recently or made a mistake.

Old PFM can however open it.
    Last edited by Steph; May 07, 2019 at 02:51 PM.

Oh, then that means something has actually changed when CA made a quick fix. If you check the update date, that isn't actually accurate since that was when CA made their quick fix. He has said so in the comments as well, quote:
    Magic Emperor: "Thank you VERY much for the update, this mod is a MUST-have for me!"

StrangeAK47 [Author]: "NP, but it was CA who fixed it."
    If your pack file manager cannot read it properly, then is it possible for me to try and alter the values?

Patrician Artifex

you could, but from I see in PFM it should work. Maybe it's only when the agent is not included in the army, where it behaves differently, but then I don't know how to change that. Except changing the upkeep of the hero itself, but it would apply to AI as well.

If that's the case, then I guess I should just create my own personal mod. I'm sure there are others who have created mods, but for their own purposes instead of dealing with others who may run into issues (like me).

If I recreate this upkeep mod from scratch, could that also remove the error that is found in RPFM?

Patrician Artifex

Probably about RPFM.