Thread: How to bypass CTD or Runtime Error when playing FotE+EP Revised

Default How to bypass CTD or Runtime Error when playing FotE+EP Revised

Well, due to buggy game of CA my mod is cursed with random CTD (in fact Runtime Error) which is caused because game has hidden units' limit per faction which is - i believe - 99 units per faction and even Swisshalbeldier's fix doesn't help. This doesn't mean you always meet that crash, but it is common and there are ways to bypass it.

Actually no real cure is possible, but removing mod ;p, still you can successfully continue playing with using some additional steps:

1. When does the bug occur?
    Normally you need about 410-420 AD to start facing Runtime Error as WRE or ERE builds III-IV grade military structures which means they have almost full access to +300 units per faction. Issue regards only faction controlled by AI, it will never occur for faction controlled by player (i mean either ERE or WRE) or if you play multi with both player controlled ERE + WRE.

2. What to do to bypass it?
    Thera are at least 2 possibilities. One step is needed to localize which faction creates CTD. Either observe carefully when crash happens during turn's end or use option "show all moves during turn's end" to make it possible to see, if shorter version is too fast to notice. In most cases you want to turn that option on still because of other tips noted below.

a/ (recommended) Assuming you started with FotE+EP Revised and both Auxilia (for WRE and ERE) submods on, deactivate submod for that faction you don't control (ERE, WRE or both if you don't play Romans). Now save should be free of error. If problem still exists just load save few turns back - that should work.

b/ If you really want to use both submods for ERE/WRE constantly you can use MAGA to resolve CTD/runtime error if you play settled faction and have at least 2 regions. Using fully shown moves (in options) localize region where crash happens. It is either fleet trying to move from port or army trying to move along selected region. Make solid save to be turning point if things won't work. Use MAGA to swap regions temporarily and end turn. If you managed proper region to swap game will finish turn successfully. Now you can swap back regions, no more CTD should occur. Deactivating auxilia submods here is optional, i didn't need it to bypass my crash, but for security - you may want to do it and switch it back on after successful fix.
    It seems crash is one-time event when bypassed once it should not go back later, if so - try steps above again.

There is also another CTD regarding rebels - it is not mod's specific, but vanilla game bug - the only solution is to kill rebels fast enough to not let them block in the terrain. You can also use MAGA to take control over rebelling region to prevent them showing up.

Remember to use MAGA wisely, just to prevent this mod to ruin your campaign because MAGA can be used as cheat tool, while it was not planned to be.
    Last edited by Cgma; July 13, 2019 at 04:42 AM.

Default Re: How to bypass CTD or Runtime Error when playing FotE+EP Revised

Hi Cgma I'm here again to ask for your help. I think I came across this bug in 435. I tried to use the first solution that you propose to overcome the bug, but unfortunately I can overcome the problem only for one or two shifts and then the bug reappears again. Do you think it's normal? Do I have to give up to the campaign? Unfortunately, about the second solution you propose, I was not able to put it into practice because I didn't understand it very well. One last question, if I start a new game playing with the East Roman Empire, for example, if I use the submod of auxiliaries only for the faction I use, would I avoid this bug 100%?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuu89 View Post
    Unfortunately, about the second solution you propose, I was not able to put it into practice because I didn't understand it very well.
    What is to understand? Find army/fleet that causes error, swap the region that army/fleet is in, end turn, swap back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuu89 View Post
    if I use the submod of auxiliaries only for the faction I use, would I avoid this bug 100%?
    No, actually there are too many units for both ERE and WRE in base mod. Turning off the submod for faction that is controlled by AI will make error less probable, but not 100%.

What is to understand? Find army/fleet that causes error, swap the region that army/fleet is in, end turn, swap back.
    Okay, I understood. But I don't know what MAGA is . I tried to find it on the web, but I didn't find nothing... but to be more precise, I don't know what to look for. If you can explain me what it is and where to look for, I will try the second option too, to save the campaign.
    No, actually there are too many units for both ERE and WRE in base mod. Turning off the submod for faction that is controlled by AI will make error less probable, but not 100%
    I understood, thank you

fisrt you can check steam workshop Ryuu what maga is ,second i want to thank the team by the way,dont want to create a thread or post in the update thread as well,for the todays update and for the continues work in attila..

Hello,
    - Mods: EP Reloaded, FoTE, FoTE+EP Revised (no additional unit mods)
    - Yer: 435
    - Played faction: Alanna
    - Runtime CTD faction: WRE

Because the fog of war, I don't know what is moving.
    Any idea how to solve the problem?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by erdoszb; September 04, 2019 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erdoszb View Post
    Hello,
    - Mods: EP Reloaded, FoTE, FoTE+EP Revised (no additional unit mods)
    - Yer: 435
    - Played faction: Alanna
    - Runtime CTD faction: WRE

Because the fog of war, I don't know what is moving.
    Any idea how to solve the problem?
    Thank you.
    If you don't use WRE submod for units then it is not mod specific. Probably separatists vanilla bug. Try reloading, nothing more can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgma View Post
    If you don't use WRE submod for units then it is not mod specific. Probably separatists vanilla bug. Try reloading, nothing more can be done.
    Thank you. So playing with this game is like doing some Russian roulette? you newer know which turn will be the last one?

Quote Originally Posted by erdoszb View Post
    Thank you. So playing with this game is like doing some Russian roulette? you newer know which turn will be the last one?
    I always suggest starting with combo (FotE, EP(R) + FotE+EP Revised with both submods for ERE and WRE activated and deactivating any submod that AI controls only if runtime error happens. And yeah, game is not predictable whether you play mods or not. However i have never had any problems that couldn't be curable with either MAGA or reloading (or deactivating submods if needed).