Thread: A few quick questions

Master & Commander's Avatar Libertus

Default A few quick questions

Hey yall! All of your work so far looks great and I really like the previews, but I have a few questions.

First question is will you have a four turn per year campaign, or were yall thinking of making it like six, 8, 12, etc turns per year?

My second question is will the villages have a small garrison, like a single unit or two of levies? Not enough to actually pose a threat, but enough to stop a single unit army from taking villages by themselves.

My final question is would it be possible to script in "claims" to other factions thrones? So for example, playing as Gwined when the faction leader of Powys dies you could lay claim to the throne as the former faction leaders older brother and either go to war to conquer them, or annex them.

Default Re: A few quick questions

Shieldwall uses 12 months per year, with month names deribed from the germanic calendar

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Second Yule
    Month of cakes
    Month of Wildness
    Easter Month
    Month of Three Milkings
    Before Midsummer
    Third (Mid)summer
    After Midsummer
    Plant month
    Holy Month
    Winter full moon
    Blót Month
    First Yule

By default. the villages Shieldwall are ungarissoned. They have a garrison building avaible. Higher level villages of some types might also receive garrisons, altough it is not finalized yet.
    Last edited by Johnyyy; May 06, 2019 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Master & Commander View Post
    Hey yall! All of your work so far looks great and I really like the previews, but I have a few questions.

First question is will you have a four turn per year campaign, or were yall thinking of making it like six, 8, 12, etc turns per year?

My second question is will the villages have a small garrison, like a single unit or two of levies? Not enough to actually pose a threat, but enough to stop a single unit army from taking villages by themselves.

My final question is would it be possible to script in "claims" to other factions thrones? So for example, playing as Gwined when the faction leader of Powys dies you could lay claim to the throne as the former faction leaders older brother and either go to war to conquer them, or annex them.
    Johhny addressed the first two: as for the later question those kinds of things are possible they just require a fair quantity of work to build and test. Events will be something we continue to improve in the mod over the course of our developing it but for now we are focusing primarily on basic mechanics like buildings units and technology.

Master & Commander's Avatar Libertus

Thanks for the quick responses yall!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyyy View Post
    Shieldwall uses 12 months per year, with month names deribed from the germanic calendar

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Second Yule
    Month of cakes
    Month of Wildness
    Easter Month
    Month of Three Milkings
    Before Midsummer
    Third (Mid)summer
    After Midsummer
    Plant month
    Holy Month
    Winter full moon
    Blót Month
    First Yule

By default. the villages Shieldwall are ungarissoned. They have a garrison building avaible. Higher level villages of some types might also receive garrisons, altough it is not finalized yet.

12 month per year will be great, and having each turn named by month is even better! Are you guys planning on changing any of the building times or research to go with this? So like the final upgrade for the main town is longer then just 12 turns or a year in game? I think recruitment and army movement distance makes way more sense with a 12 turn per year setting, but building maybe should be stretched out a little more. I should take over a year to completely upgrade say like a city or build a Cathedral haha

12 turns per year makes everything seem like it goes super fast at times, like the AI can form a whole empire and then be destroyed in under a year because its 12 separate turns, but what can you do it is the best amount of turns per year for this game haha.

Also what do you mean by villages will have a garrison building available? Will it be a second or third building slot in the village, or will you have to choose between say a lead mine and a garrison building chain for the village?

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkFlamingo View Post
    Johhny addressed the first two: as for the later question those kinds of things are possible they just require a fair quantity of work to build and test. Events will be something we continue to improve in the mod over the course of our developing it but for now we are focusing primarily on basic mechanics like buildings units and technology.
    That makes a lot of sense, better to get out an initial product and be able to continue to improve on it, then hold off on releasing it because you want to add everything into it like its a finished mod. I've found that never works as intended and the mod release date always seems to get pushed back because of it. So hopefully down the road we can have claims and many other fun scripts added it!

Quote Originally Posted by Master & Commander View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses yall!

12 month per year will be great, and having each turn named by month is even better! Are you guys planning on changing any of the building times or research to go with this? So like the final upgrade for the main town is longer then just 12 turns or a year in game? I think recruitment and army movement distance makes way more sense with a 12 turn per year setting, but building maybe should be stretched out a little more. I should take over a year to completely upgrade say like a city or build a Cathedral haha

12 turns per year makes everything seem like it goes super fast at times, like the AI can form a whole empire and then be destroyed in under a year because its 12 separate turns, but what can you do it is the best amount of turns per year for this game haha.

Also what do you mean by villages will have a garrison building available? Will it be a second or third building slot in the village, or will you have to choose between say a lead mine and a garrison building chain for the village?

That makes a lot of sense, better to get out an initial product and be able to continue to improve on it, then hold off on releasing it because you want to add everything into it like its a finished mod. I've found that never works as intended and the mod release date always seems to get pushed back because of it. So hopefully down the road we can have claims and many other fun scripts added it!

Build times are rebalanced with 12 turn years in mind. It is not a straight conversion as simply multiplying the build times by 4 would not make for good gameplay. Buildings in general have been completely redone by our team with the names and icons being about the only content we kept!

Army movement range is about 15% smaller in Shieldwall by default, with more options to improve it through skills and buildings. Movement range at sea is larger in Shieldwall than in Vanilla. These have been playtested pretty thoroughly and help reduce the AI being able to run through your settlements without being catchable.

Many (not all: technical limits) villages in Shieldwall have a secondary build slot allowing them a second building. One of the available options is a garrison building. Others include Mills, Tanners, Granaries (which factor into our food storage), and Abbeys. You will not have to give up the main economic building to use these buildings.