Thread: Did any tribe willingly join romans?

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

Default Did any tribe willingly join romans?

I am wondering if there were any peoples in history that wanted to actually be romans and join them and discard their previous identity for a roman one and were accepted by romans. Seeing that romans were the superpower, i think many tribes would want to join in and assimilation was the roman way. They may be some that was attacked by their kin or just liking roman ways.

Default Re: Did any tribe willingly join romans?

The Roman citizenship was a very enviable award, especially among the elites. Let's not forget that one of the most violent wars of the Republic, the Social War, began, because the Romans were unwilling to share the Roman citizenship with their Italian allies. Generally speaking, becoming a Roman citizen entailed many benefits with zero serious obligations. Whoever was recognized as a Roman enjoyed fiscal and judicial privileges, while he could also aspire to a remarkable political career in the imperial administration. In the more urbanised east, Roman citizens maintained a very privileged position and monopolised the city's offices, although the latter was more the result of them belonging to the upper classes than a direct consequence of acquiring the Roman citizenship. This is why during the 1st century BC, when the Senate's influence declined, in favour of ambitious generals, the cases of "Romanisation" multiplied, because provincial governors and military commanders were trying to establish a patronage system, composed of wealthy Greek-Roman citizens, whose loyalty to their protector would guarantee that their city would help them, in men and money, in the time of need. The lower segments of the society were less enthusiastic, not due to their sentimental attachment to tradition, but because all those aforementioned perks concerned the interests of the aristocracy and helped the lucky ones in their competition for prestige and political influence against their fellow oligarchs. An impoverished peasant could not hope to reach the office of irenarch, as the ownership of significant wealth was practically a necessary condition, regardless of whether he was named Praxilaus or Gnaeus. If you are fascinated with the subject, you should concentrate your attention on the epigraphical material, which is our primordial source for the matter. Many of the relevant inscriptions have been actually discovered in Anatolia, so the geographical names will be familiar, but the vast majority of them has been examined by foreign archaeological missions, so translations to Turkish will be extremely rare.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; May 05, 2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Quark.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

This was rather common by the late Republic. Entire Celtic tribes were granted citizenship in one fell swoop due to wartime alliances and patronage. Caesar himself famously patronized a bunch of Gauls who came from tribes that sided with him during his Gallic conquest and they became literal senators in Rome during 46 BC. There were some Romans who didn't like this, making up taunts and chants in the street making fun of the Gauls, but eventually the xenophobia died down and men coming from the provinces weren't really frowned upon. That was especially the case by the time of Trajan, who was born in Roman Hispania a century later and became the first emperor born outside of Roman Italy.

I don't think any transition was 100% smooth and without leaving some losing parties behind, but on the whole, "joining the Romans" was a highly desirable thing, not only because of the aforementioned legal privileges, but also (at least in some regions) because of the amenities of the comparatively sophisticated Mediterranean lifestyle the Romans brought with them. As far as I understand, the Roman political system and the way it developed during the expansion was an essential part of the success of the Roman Empire, allowing subject peoples to eventually participate instead of remaining second or third class subjects indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Many of the relevant inscriptions have been actually discovered in Anatolia, so the geographical names will be familiar, but the vast majority of them has been examined by foreign archaeological missions, so translations to Turkish will be extremely rare.
    In my experience, at least some of the archaeological reports from the region are available in Turkish, but in any case, one should be prepared to read English, French, or German works to get a better picture.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Yes... Also, best thing about being a roman citizen is that you can also be a king of a foreign state, ie. Bosporan Kingdom.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Yes, you can see this occurring along the Rhine. Even with no citizenship it seemed like quite a few were willing to trade their barbaric lifestyle for Roman baths and cities.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

The Ubii for example were germanic allies of Caesar right of the Rhine. They were later transported to the by Caesar depopulated region of the Eburones left of the Rhine, because they feared the pressure of the stronger Chatti tribe. Win Win for both, as they helped securing the border to Germania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubii

Many weaker celtic, britannic or germanic tribes seeked the protection by the Roman Empire.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; May 16, 2019 at 10:59 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    I am wondering if there were any peoples in history that wanted to actually be romans and join them..
    ..to join them, yes, contributing with soldiers to the Roman army. Well, ask Lupicinus and Maximus what they did.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Praeses

Mythologically the Sabines agreed (after a bloody war had been fought to a standstill) to form a community with Romulus' band of rapist thugs. Livy claims its history but he's a whitewashing scoundrel.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Not an expert on this part of Roman history, but I'm really struggling to name any. The Romans certainly did have a long list of client kingdoms and barbarian mercenaries, but most of these vassals were assimilated into Roman society either through subsides or conquest.

Early Roman history though looks to be a little different, and most Latin cities and tribes were probably incorporated over time after longstanding defense pacts. Of particular interest is the Foedus Cassianum in 493BC, a landmark treaty between Rome and the Latin League, yet even parts of this pact gave way to Roman conquest during the Latin Wars. Nevertheless, the period of Foedus Cassuanum also saw several individual treaties between Rome and the Latin tribes, which survived the Latin Wars and led to citizenship. This article specifically mentions the municipia:https://www.jstor.org/stable/639216?...o_tab_contents
    Allied to the House of Hader
    Member of the Cheney/Berlusconi Pact

Patrician

The colonies in Gaul and along the Rhine had a large amount of local peoples.
    The most notable examples in the latter case are Trier and Cologne. Augusta Treverorum and Colonia Agrippina as they were known in that time.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

cenkiss's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    ..to join them, yes, contributing with soldiers to the Roman army. Well, ask Lupicinus and Maximus what they did.
    I was not asking contribution as an ally. I was asking if some people stopped being germans etc. and became just romans.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
    I was not asking contribution as an ally. I was asking if some people stopped being germans etc. and became just romans.
    Some did but it was a very gradual process. It was also very much localized on a regional basis. So for example by the 200's you had a Romano-Gallic culture, a Roman-Italian culture, a sort of Roman-Hellenic culture etc. In the places like Syria or Egypt it was less centralized and far more heterogeneous but still some traces of Roman cultural influence as well.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    In the places like Syria or Egypt it was less centralized and far more heterogeneous but still some traces of Roman cultural influence as well.
    If we take Graeco-Roman culture as being "Roman", as well being able to speak fluent Latin, at least as a second language, It should be noted that this was the case with most parts of the Roman Empire outside Italy, Greece and Asia Minor. The Balkans as well as Gaul had pockets of non-Latin speakers well unto 6th Century, not counting Slavs in the Balkans of course. That said, Latin Language and culture did supersede, not supplant everywhere, local ones in Gaul and Northern Balkans, by the end of 2nd Century. I'm not sure about Hispania, however, I believe it was Romanized very quickly.

The same is even more true about the territories outside Europe, with the exception of coastal Phoenicia and coastal North Africa, and by coastal I explicitly mean port cities and towns, many of whom had received settlers from Italy. Nevertheless they all became Roman citizens during 2nd Century regardless of culture, due to Constitutio Antoniniana. Aramaic, Coptic and Berber, and to some degree Punic, were predominant outside Europe by the fall of the Western Empire as well as Islamic conquests.
    Last edited by Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σω May 24, 2019 at 04:20 PM.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει