Thread: Battlefield Terrain

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Battlefield Terrain

Hello again, quick question, is there a way to mod the battlefield terrain? Because I don't like the way it is right now, I don't find it realistic at all and I'd like the game to generates more flat terrain to better depict the battlefields of this time period. I mean at one point I attacked an army and when I saw the battlefield, I was at the bottom of a huge mountain. It never happened in the history of man that an army charge such a steep slope. ^^ The position should have been reverse since I'm the one attacking, but anyway, it happened to me to often so now I'd like the battlefields generates flatter maps. Is that possible? I guess it is but how? ^^ Thanks!

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: Battlefield Terrain

It is possible, but would require a complete reworking of the campaign map. The particular files of interest are descr_terrain.txt and map_heights.tga (both in data/world/maps/base). The first has a part that limits the maximum height of terrain (max_land_height entry), while the latter is for the relative height of the terrain you see on the campaign map (and by extension battle maps on that terrain). You would honestly have to check out the Mod Workshop to become familiar with how to work with these files and how to achieve what you are looking for.

Disclaimer: Modifying either of those files can (actually, more then likely will) cause the mod to crash or have major issues in battle maps, particularly siege battles. The fortified pass maps, specifically, are set on very specific terrain and could "bug out" if the terrain heights are altered. So no simple edits; it will require relatively extensive knowledge of mapping. Modify the mod at your own risk.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Yeah well I guess I've have to be content with how it is then thanks anyway!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Battles in mountainous terrain have been the bane of modding - ever played one the earlier versions of TATW, in the misty mountains?

I still recall RTW vanilla, North of Athens: the parties would line up on opposing sides at the edge of huge, passable crevasse. Whoever attacked automatically lost if the defender had missile troops.
    Last edited by Gigantus; May 24, 2019 at 10:55 PM.

I was wondering too about something similar, but more on the graphic aspect of battlefields. What I mean is: maps are the ones from medieval vanilla but I'd like to see something more in line with a chinese theater. For example in Europa Barbarorum 2 maps have been remade and don't look like the base game's ones. This is my suggestion to complete this wonderful mod.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

EBII uses a lot of custom tree models afaik, some of the 'clutter' has been customized as well (think small churches and corn fields).

While removing isn't difficult, getting new stuff into the game is somewhat of a struggle - tried to get cherry blossom trees in and had no luck.