Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

  1. #1

    Icon2 Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    ı really can't understand that tester application thing. there is lots of man want to play campaign but you limited it only to few. what is the purpose of this ?
    many man testing the mod means many bugs you can find. am ı wrong ?

  2. #2
    Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern Sweden
    Posts
    5,245

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    Please calm down a little as it doesn't make it better by being upset. If a modder made that decision then the modder has the right do to that.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.





    How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    Because the purpose of testing...is testing, not giving it to play, but to test the mod on how it plays.

    Why limited? Several reasons:

    1. We try to search for people that will give us feedback, report it precisely, understands the game mechanics so they can guess the cause of the problem, and suggest what can be done. Even with our already limited tester number, only few did this, the others just get their packs and never returns to contribute anything

    2. Over-reporting of the same Bugs. Players usually don't try to read whether a bug has been reported or not. If we open the floodgates of players, we'll get the same report over and over again. This happens even with our limited tester numbers.

    3. Limited Capacity in Report and Bug Fixing. Our capability is limited; we can't add features, finish, or bugfix instantly - it need time, which we don't always have. Thus we prefer precise reports from testers who have frequent contact with us, and can be asked to test specific things in controlled manner. Much more reliable than herding innumerable players.
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; May 02, 2019 at 03:42 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Because the purpose of testing...is testing, not giving it to play, but to test the mod on how it plays.

    Why limited? Several reasons:

    1. We try to search for people that will give us feedback, report it precisely, understands the game mechanics so they can guess the cause of the problem, and suggest what can be done. Even with our already limited tester number, only few did this, the others just get their packs and never returns to contribute anything

    2. Over-reporting of the same Bugs. Players usually don't try to read whether a bug has been reported or not. If we open the floodgates of players, we'll get the same report over and over again. This happens even with our limited tester numbers.

    3. Limited Capacity in Report and Bug Fixing. Our capability is limited; we can't add features, finish, or bugfix instantly - it need time, which we don't always have. Thus we prefer precise reports from testers who have frequent contact with us, and can be asked to test specific things in controlled manner. Much more reliable than herding innumerable players.
    well, ı thought the testers are only playing the game and just say what is wrong but nothing else. but you say they also help you directly to get rid of the bugs. so now ı understand you clearly man and agree with you.

    but still ı really ache to play the campaign

  5. #5

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Because the purpose of testing...is testing, not giving it to play, but to test the mod on how it plays.

    Why limited? Several reasons:

    1. We try to search for people that will give us feedback, report it precisely, understands the game mechanics so they can guess the cause of the problem, and suggest what can be done. Even with our already limited tester number, only few did this, the others just get their packs and never returns to contribute anything....
    How it comes that we just saw some Second Class Category C Youtubers using your Mod to just polish their benefits.

  6. #6
    airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,318

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Because the purpose of testing...is testing, not giving it to play, but to test the mod on how it plays.

    Why limited? Several reasons:

    1. We try to search for people that will give us feedback, report it precisely, understands the game mechanics so they can guess the cause of the problem, and suggest what can be done. Even with our already limited tester number, only few did this, the others just get their packs and never returns to contribute anything

    2. Over-reporting of the same Bugs. Players usually don't try to read whether a bug has been reported or not. If we open the floodgates of players, we'll get the same report over and over again. This happens even with our limited tester numbers.

    3. Limited Capacity in Report and Bug Fixing. Our capability is limited; we can't add features, finish, or bugfix instantly - it need time, which we don't always have. Thus we prefer precise reports from testers who have frequent contact with us, and can be asked to test specific things in controlled manner. Much more reliable than herding innumerable players.
    Im sorry but I totally disagree with what you just said. Youtubers are primarily the ones that have this, and lets be serious, most of them cant identify a bug if it jumped up and literally slapped in the face.

  7. #7
    ♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar BEARDED MODERATION
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    11,272

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    Quote Originally Posted by airborne guy View Post
    Im sorry but I totally disagree with what you just said. Youtubers are primarily the ones that have this, and lets be serious, most of them cant identify a bug if it jumped up and literally slapped in the face.
    Well, it's a creator's decision to be fair, but I agree that most YouTubers aren't bug hunters or even mediocre testers.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    A-List Youtubers are there because of publicity reasons (and some of them had a conversation years ago with Warman in person when they met in CA events) - but those guys you say are C-Listers gives feedbacks directly to us too, don't be mistaken. They tend not to outright say so in their video for saving face (while we facepalmed when watching), but they're taking their comments behind the scene.

    Most importantly, Youtube videos gives us the clear footage of what happens even if they don't realize the bugs that we modders knows if we see one.

    Not all do that and choose to just cheese their way and not giving feedback, so lately we instituted a downsizing of testers. Those who don't give feedbacks have their access cut. They still have the old version of the campaign, but won't be able to get the newer versions.

    The core of our reliable testers are the guys that frequently plays modded MP and send them to Youtubers, people who're involved with testing other TW mods, together with longtime historical researcher-followers of this subforum.

  9. #9
    Libertus
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    {<Egypt>}
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    Could i be One of the tasters ?! i've been Playing total war series for long time .
    also i'm so interested in medieval time which give me good advantage to know accurate date of something and bugs that may appear i'll not report the reported bugs .
    Gimme the chance i'll be glad

  10. #10
    rajicb's Avatar Laetus
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Belgrade
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    Its because channels get more views like this. It is their right to monetize their work.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    1. We try to search for people that will give us feedback, report it precisely, understands the game mechanics so they can guess the cause of the problem, and suggest what can be done. Even with our already limited tester number, only few did this, the others just get their packs and never returns to contribute anything

    2. Over-reporting of the same Bugs. Players usually don't try to read whether a bug has been reported or not. If we open the floodgates of players, we'll get the same report over and over again. This happens even with our limited tester numbers.

    3. Limited Capacity in Report and Bug Fixing. Our capability is limited; we can't add features, finish, or bugfix instantly - it need time, which we don't always have. Thus we prefer precise reports from testers who have frequent contact with us, and can be asked to test specific things in controlled manner. Much more reliable than herding innumerable players.
    This has been my experience as well over the years. It is noteworthy how few testers return with any kind of feedback after you hand out a review copy of an update. Moreover, it's often difficult to organize testing because everybody (who does report) tend to report on the things that interest them, but isn't necessarily in the interest of or purposeful for the test. Back and forth discussion between modders and testers is critical to solidify ideas and to polish different areas to perfection, but while ideal it's far from always the reality. That being said, these things are perfectly natural and to be expected. Not everyone will be equally invested in a project and not everyone will pursue an influential role, despite the opportunity being there.

    In short, I think the above points are valid answers both from a modder's point of view as well as a logistical viewpoint. I hope I speak for all of us in saying that the community owes great thanks to testers, but that doesn't necessarily mean that certain criteria shouldn't be met by said people. Distributing patches, instructions and (hopefully) discussing with the people that become invested in your project takes up a significant amount of time, on top of the modding itself.
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires


  12. #12

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    *complains that most people wont report and contribute to the team if they release it*


    *complains that if they release it, people will overreport bugs and flood with the same kind of contribution*

  13. #13

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    In short, I think the above points are valid answers both from a modder's point of view as well as a logistical viewpoint. I hope I speak for all of us in saying that the community owes great thanks to testers, but that doesn't necessarily mean that certain criteria shouldn't be met by said people. Distributing patches, instructions and (hopefully) discussing with the people that become invested in your project takes up a significant amount of time, on top of the modding itself.
    Of course some Development will took his Time but there are many People that Since Atilla or even Shogun 2 just get dissapointed by CA and there wannabe Great Historical Games - I guess many of the Community even don´t get that new Martial Arts Total War but i guess all are waiting for this Modification.

  14. #14
    FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Silistra,Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,014

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    Wont be a Long post and dont want to say again things that were already said but, The main fact that this Thread is created shows how huge the MK1212 popularity to the Campaign Youtube Videos about the Mod at the moment helping with the hype and Marketing is a outstanding success. You think People going Full public is a good Idea ? The mod team dont want the People to burn out on the Mod so early and loose interest after half an year.

    Also just Look at other Alpha/Beta Tests for other Mods/Games and read what the random people complain about - Streamer and Youtuber privileges,bad players but popular on Twitch ect. play Game/Mod A or B and together with their sidekicks.Just loot for example into the Classic World of Warcraft Beta Invites.First were invited People of the Press,then streamers and Youtubers, then people with the oldest accounts ect. Blizzard needs no more than 3000-5000 beta Testers from a player population of what? 20+ potentional milion players to help with their Bug Fixes and promote the game at the Same time without a Burnout with 100 000 views in prime hours on Twitch .

  15. #15

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    Why dont you allow normal testers to test it for free,
    i am sure most of them dont mind the bugs

  16. #16

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    in my honest and most respectful opinion: it's been far too long since this mod started, it's a massive amount of work that modders do for free. i get that.
    i don't think that needs any more hype. Most of the players wanting this mod want it because of the historical accuracy... don't think kids watching youtube are your target, but again, your decissions only.
    the only thing i can say is that i bought attila back in the day just because of your mod, and i couldn't be the only one.
    I've waited for years to play this mod, and i still will, but i have to admit that it gets annoying.
    thanks and keep the good work, i'll keep playing DEI

  17. #17
    Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southern Sweden
    Posts
    5,245

    Default Re: Why don't you just open the campaign mod to the public ?

    Quote Originally Posted by rajicb View Post
    Its because channels get more views like this. It is their right to monetize their work.
    No. It is not their right to monetize their work, because it's CA who has the right to do whatever they want as the original creator for this game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Since CA\SEGA retain the right to whatever you create (it's a contested point, I know, but it remains) you cannot sell your work, eg only give access if money is received. Asking for donations is fine however from that point of view.

    TWC at present does not permit asking for donations by third parties because of the legal can of worms that comes with it.
    Last edited by Leonardo; June 08, 2019 at 05:42 AM.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.





    How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •