Thread: What are the best Mods for Medeival 2?

Default What are the best Mods for Medeival 2?

Hello, everybody: What do you think are the best mods for Medieval 2 and why? Do you rather like campaign updates like in Stainlees Steel or complete overhauls of the campaigns?
    What are your favorite mods?

My favorites are:

1.Stainless Steel with the SHHIP Mod ( Is titanium better or newer, how are your opinions about it )
    2. in Nominei Dei, here I like the scenario on the crusades very much
    3rd Peninsula Italica , I am an absolute fan of the Roman history and especially of the early days, here I liked the first mod for RTW already very much. Unfortunately this one will not be developed any more. Too bad, because it is really a good mod.
    4th Empire romanum , the submod for De Bello Mundi. I really like all the exit scenarios of the Roman civil wars here. I also like it when you play with the roman republic and it comes to a civil war sometime. Unfortunately EB 2 does not support a 2nd Roman faction or at least a spawning faction. Too bad actually. Regarding IR I have to say that the mod is very difficult and the focus is on the Roman factions.
    De Bello Mundi , reminds me partly very much of Roma Surrectum, currently I am playing it in the 2.0 test version, I hope that this will be continued, but unfortunately the modder has not been heard from here for a long time.
    6th Invaso barbarorum 2, here I like both Conquest Britannia and the campaign with the vandals. But I am waiting here like many others for the complete map to rewrite the history of the Roman late rich. I already loved this mod at Rome TW.
    A mod I had always wished for would have been a Roma Surrectum 3 for Medieval 2, unfortunately you can't have everything.
    8, What I also like very much is the modification Rule Brittania, a nice revision of the Official Enlargement Campaign. As England very crisp, but also as baron alliance it has a nice charm.
    9) Clearly Westeros, because I love the universe of The Song of Ice and Fire very much. Is there a Submod with Fokus on roberts Rebellion? I Like the Idea to crush the Rebells with House targaryen

A question at the end: Is there actually a mod that has its focus on the Teutonic wars against Lithuania led by the German Order?

Thanks at this point to all modder and modding teams for making this old game still a nice experience for us.
    Last edited by Avarice1987; April 30, 2019 at 06:07 AM.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: What are the best Mods for Medeival 2?

A good opening post. I hope you get many responses.

I prefer some of the older modifications such as Lands to Conquer. I do prefer something more than simply rolling over the computer. Much of the attraction for a modification may have to do with attention to history. Some modifications focus on a period and some simply add a greater level of detail. Immersion is the word that best describes why I also like your first choice -Stainless Steel.

If I was a younger chap, I would be helping to create variations on many of these modifications. For example there are errors in the Lands to Conquer. Not fatal or game ruining errors, but there are errors (dropping a digit on cost of construction of a specific upgrade building and so on). All modifications have these errors and when the original team disbands, the errors remain. But that gives others a chance to create their own modifications so it all works out in the end.

Avarice:

There is only 1 mod that specifically focuses on that area (the Teutonic Campaign) that I am aware of, it is called Age of Strife, or War without End http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1-0-released!)

I have no idea if it is up to date but it is a full overhaul for the Teutonic Campaign, so you may as well give it a try, hope you enjoy
    -Cshewey

The Tower Project YouTube Channel

Incredible Medieval 2 Total War Content

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Concerning Teutonic Knights: the Battle of the Baltics modification to the the Stainless Steel gives an interesting Baltic campaign.

Besides you may be interested in the following post and links (those three reviews are big ones):

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I've played recently a couple of good mods and I'd like to share with you what I've found out.

I've written three in-depth reviews of the following mods:
    - Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project
    - Broken Crescent - Buff and Shine
    - Wrath of the Norsemen

I haven't written reviews, but I've had much fun with and I'd advise anybody to play a few other mods.

The "grand mods" that change most of the aspects of the game and that are de facto new games using the M2TW engine:
    * Third Age Total War (with many submods, still developing)
    * Europa Barbarorum II (still developing, obviously)
    * Stainless Steel SS6.4 (with numerous
    submods
    , not only SSHIP)
    * 1648: Thirty Years of War

The following mods I also consider as finished, polished and including very well-thought-out mechanics (I admit having no much experience with them yet):
    * Hispania in the Middle Ages
    * The Italian Wars - Ultimate

Some advanced mods I find a bit dated and containing problematic gameplay issues:
    * Bellum Crucis 7.0
    * Deus lo Vult with Battle Balancer
    * Chivalry II: Sicilian Vespers
    * The Last Kingdom
    * Wrath of the Norsemen

I admit having no interest in fantasy mods of Hyrule, Warhammer or Westeros, neither in China where the much-acclaimed Rise of Three Kingdoms takes place. I'm looking forward to the conclusion of work on Albion TW, Tsardoms TW, and The Great Conflicts. I don't know much about Rus 2 TW, Fleur de Lys, Machiavello, but they may also be very good.

Disclosure: I'm a member of the SSHIP modding team.

The opinions are obviously subjective. The reviews don't discover new planets but provide insights that are relevant from my perspective. They're based on the recent, 2018, experience, and I hope they'd be useful for those who are looking for an interesting historical game.

My perspective is as follows:

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Criteria

I assess any M2TW mod in 5 categories:

1. Gameplay: is the game immersive; are you forced to play the best you can; is the AI and diplomacy reasonable; is there money-recruitment balance achieved; are the different mechanisms well interconnected and conditioned (like ancillary<>script<>usefulness for the player); are there pure stupidities or strategies open-to-abuse.
    2. Historicity: is the historical role-playing credible; is playing the game in a historical way rewarded; how does the turn of the events in-game reflect what I perceive historical, do the factions/rosters/provinces/resources/buildings feel historical to my taste, is there a good trait/ancillary mechanism that reflect things I'm reading in the books; is the map like a true map.
    3. Battles: how does it feel to play them; how does the BAI behave; are the units reasonable/historical/nice, how does the battlefield feel like (trees, hills, water); are there stupidities and bugs related to fighting.
    4. Artistic values: a.) graphics: how do the map, the battlefield, the battles, the units, the 2D pics look like (so all the stuff related to models, animations etc.); b.) sounds: music, voices, other.
    5. Technicalities: are there CTDs; how does the UI look like; how many bugs and unfinished issues linger; are there guides and explanations on how to play.

What I’m looking for in a Total War mod

I’m most interested in points 1, 2, and 5, while less in 3 and even less in 4. In particular, I’m looking for:

• A challenging game: I do everything I can to win. I don’t give the AI money for free, I don’t turtle just for turtling – I turtle because it’s a superiors strategy. The need to make choices: there shouldn’t be easy choices and obvious solutions, everything should come at a price so every action should be well thought-out.
    • A feeling of “gaming a story as it was in the books on history”: the armies, the cities, the generals, the rebels, the crusades, the deaths, the civil wars and family feuds – everything should be there. Fast conquests should be possible but at risk of falling apart.
    • Management of the faction: investing in the buildings, keep an order, safeguarding the borders) to be an equally important goal of the game as the conquest. I'm a Civilization-raised type of person (I mean: Civ 1 of 1991) that means I'm a devoted builder.
    • An interesting development of the traits. The characters should take traits and ancillaries based on their actions. The traits should be historical (reflect the middle-ages’ reality according to our best knowledge of history), meaningful (each should be relevant for the gameplay), logical (eg. they cycle-of-life: young and middle-aged generals get the traits fast, but in the old age they're losing them; as a result the oldest generals should not be the best, but those of 30-50 old for fighting and 40-60 for governorships), producing consistent personalities (one general should not have completely contradictory traits).
    • The relevance and interplay of various mechanisms in the game: everything should have consequences, no chrome just for the sake of chrome. Interactive events are woven into the fabric of the game, the scripts should have an impact on the traits, the traits should condition the options for the player of using a particular general etc.
    • Battles that are played to win, not easy or based on exploits. Especially, I’m looking for the BAI behaving reasonably given the pace of the battles (in some mods it’s faster, in some slower). I think the battles are an exciting part of the game that makes the Total War games different from, say, Europa Universalis type of the games.
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Is anyone good at installing Sicilian Vespers 3.3 the patch and the hotfix?