View Poll Results: Who's your favourite candidate for the 2020 Democratic Primaries?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bernie Sanders.

19 48.72%
  • Joe Biden.

5 12.82%
  • Neither.

15 38.46%
Page 9 of 116 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

That's 90% of the Democratic platform. How's this any different? It's not like pandering to Hispanics by promising letting anyone in, illegal or not and giving them free access to services, is somehow more rational.

Bernie: The cat is out of the bag. The corporate wing of the Democratic Party is publicly "anybody but Bernie." They know our progressive agenda of Medicare for All, breaking up big banks, taking on drug companies and raising wages is the real threat to the billionaire class.

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/st...85420602859520
    https://twitter.com/politico/status/1141281982418247682

Bernie Sanders has fired the opening salvo in the inevitable Democrat circular firing squad after an article came out about Elizabeth Warren now being acceptable to Democrat centrists. Party big wig Christine Teigen was not pleased.

Sanders might have missed his chance. A good degree of his policies are actually pretty popular among voters on both sides, but he has a toxic brand which has been made a lot worse by the new recruit AOC.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    That's another annoying thing about it. They know it won't pass. They know it would most probably be dead on arrival even if it ever reaches the congress. All they do is politicking and trying to sound progressive by pandering to a minority promising them $$$$.
    Congressional testimony on record is its own thing of benefit. Even if those that spoke are realistic enough to see a bill going nowhere they see testimony on record as something worthwhile. What it does to the primary is the same thing stuff does to every primary. Intra-party feuding is always a bloodbath spectacle.

And Basil likes to focus on the Democrats like they’re the only ones that feud over a nomination. He forgets conveniently how Bush, Reagan, and Trump got a bit underhanded for theirs.
    Last edited by Gaidin; June 20, 2019 at 03:42 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Tiro

What did Reagan do that was "underhanded" to win?
    Gornahoor|Liber esse, scientiam acquirere, veritatum loqui
    Crow states: "If you would be a great leader, then learn the way of the Tao. Relinquish the need to control. Let go of plans and of concepts. The world will govern itself. The more restrictive you are, the less virtuous people will be. The more force you display, the less secure they will feel. The more subsidies you provide, the less self-reliant they become. Therefore the master says: Un-write the law, thus the people become honest. Dispense with economics, thus the people become prosperous. Do without religion, thus the people become serene. Let go all desire for the common good, and the good becomes as common as the grass." ~ Lao Tzu - Tao te tching
    MONARCHY NATION TRANSCENDENCE

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Bob69Joe View Post
    What did Reagan do that was "underhanded" to win?
    His campaign colluded with Iran to stop them negotiating with Carter to release the Hostages and then of course paid them back Iran by delivering arms. I could add the typical dog whistle elements of Nixon South Strategy as well. Bush of course played a rather nasty card in the wily hortan add, and it seem quite likely he insulated himself from his involvement in the Iran Contra Affair by issuing pardons.
    Last edited by conon394; June 20, 2019 at 10:02 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Congressional testimony on record is its own thing of benefit. Even if those that spoke are realistic enough to see a bill going nowhere they see testimony on record as something worthwhile. What it does to the primary is the same thing stuff does to every primary. Intra-party feuding is always a bloodbath spectacle.

And Basil likes to focus on the Democrats like they’re the only ones that feud over a nomination. He forgets conveniently how Bush, Reagan, and Trump got a bit underhanded for theirs.
    Trump didn't really do anything "underhanded" for his nomination, he was competing against inept neocons, and not presenting himself as such made him a much more attractive choice.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Trump didn't really do anything "underhanded" for his nomination, he was competing against inept neocons, and not presenting himself as such made him a much more attractive choice.
    Well no seeing as lost the popular vote
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Are you serious? Do you forget the slandering he rained on his political opponents?

From the top of my mind, here is Trump saying nasty things about Carson.
    "And I don't want a person that's got pathological disease, I don't want it. "

And a little over a year later, Carson is in Trump's cabinet... so apparently, Trump was spraying poop around during the primaries.
    Most of us know that. You seem to think he played nice. He didn't.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Are you serious? Do you forget the slandering he rained on his political opponents?

And a little over a year later, Carson is in Trump's cabinet... so apparently, Trump was spraying poop around during the primaries.
    Most of us know that. You seem to think he played nice. He didn't.
    If saying mean things about opponents counts as 'underhanded', then I doubt you'll found very many politicians who are not. I would have thought Basil was referring to things like conon's mention of the 'October Surprise' (though conon is claiming it as fact when it is a conspiracy theory that the House and Senate both investigated and found a lack of support for).

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

My favorite is Ted Cruz's father being the one who assassinated JFK.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    If saying mean things about opponents counts as 'underhanded', then I doubt you'll found very many politicians who are not.
    Yeah, there is clearly no scale to this either. Accusing an opponent of flip flopping on a position is equivalent to suggesting that they have a small penis or their father was involved in Conspiracies. Good point.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Quote Originally Posted by The spartan View Post
    Yeah, there is clearly no scale to this either. Accusing an opponent of flip flopping on a position is equivalent to suggesting that they have a small penis or their father was involved in Conspiracies. Good point.
    I don't recall specifying 'flip flopping'.

Whew the knives are out to stab Biden while he’s down for praising working with segregationists.

I don't recall specifying 'flip flopping'.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    If saying mean things about opponents counts as 'underhanded', then I doubt you'll found very many politicians who are not.

This is called equivocation, in essence you are saying: "Everyone does what Trump does" (saying mean things about opponents), when in reality that isn't the case. Trump has a particular knack for vulgarity, ad hominems, and conspiracy theories that I don't recall seeing in any recent president.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Quote Originally Posted by tgoodenow View Post
    Whew the knives are out to stab Biden while he’s down for praising working with segregationists.
    My memory is slowly going, but I don't recall that being a problem while Biden was VP (or running for the office). Though I do recall Biden saying his opponents want to put blacks back in cha... err... I mean accusing Romney of flip-flopping...

This is called equivocation, in essence you are saying: "Everyone does what Trump does" (saying mean things about opponents), when in reality that isn't the case. Trump has a particular knack for vulgarity, ad hominems, and conspiracy theories that I don't recall seeing in any recent president.
    No, this is called you arguing in bad faith. Not unusual. I said nothing about 'flip flopping'. You introduced that. That is your pretense. Now, what you could have done was asked a question, or requested examples, but that would preclude you from pretending to know something you don't.

No, this is called you arguing in bad faith. Not unusual. I said nothing about 'flip flopping'. You introduced that. That is your pretense. Now, what you could have done was asked a question, or requested examples, but that would preclude you from pretending to know something you don't.
    What? I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth with "flip flopping", that was just an example to support my point of their being a scale of behavior; to counter the point that "all politicians do this".

What? I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth with "flip flopping", that was just an example to support my point of their being a scale of behavior; to counter the point that "all politicians do this".
    Again, I said nothing about flip-flopping. For your "example" to even make sense you would need to ascertain that I was even thinking about 'flip-flopping' as a 'mean thing' that is said.
    Hmmm... You just quoted me as saying stuff I literally did not say. "everyone", "all". When what I said was "I doubt you'll found very many politicians". Which leaves room for 'some' and does not mean "all".
    Again, were you actually interested you could have requested examples. You did not. Dismissed.

Again, I said nothing about flip-flopping.
    I never claimed you said this, I provided an example of something a more normal politician might say to political opponent and contrasted it with things Trump has said to political opponents. It was a parody of your equivocating Trumps behavior. That's all. Holy , you got triggered something fierce. You did say: "If saying mean things about opponents counts as 'underhanded', then I doubt you'll found very many politicians who are not" implying that Trump's behavior is fairly normal and could be found among many politicians. I disagree, I find Trump's behavior rather unique for a POTUS and I think most people do as well.