View Poll Results: Who's your favourite candidate for the 2020 Democratic Primaries?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bernie Sanders.

19 48.72%
  • Joe Biden.

5 12.82%
  • Neither.

15 38.46%
Page 51 of 116 FirstFirst ... 2641424344454647484950515253545556575859606176101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2310

Thread: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromos View Post
    Are you aware who the current president is? Given a choice between someone whose son is sexually evil vs someone who is sexually evil, it's really a no-brainer.
    Yes, but given the choice between a Major of the USA coast guard that served in Iraq when she didn't have to, someone that is 150 years old whose son is sexually evil and someone who's 147 years old and who's allegedly sexually evil, it's really a no-brainer.

Tulsi 2020.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

I don´t think that they have capable Candidate against Mr. Trump <3

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Buttigieg served in the military as well when he didn't have to. Tusli didn't really say much except clashing with Harris and talking about Buttigieg's lack of experience along with some false claim Buttigieg supports military operations in Mexico.
    Last edited by Vanoi; November 21, 2019 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Yes, but given the choice between a Major of the USA coast guard that served in Iraq when she didn't have to, someone that is 150 years old whose son is sexually evil and someone who's 147 years old and who's allegedly sexually evil, it's really a no-brainer.
    With all other things being equal, maybe, but that's not the case here.
    Ignore List (to save time):

Exarch, Coughdrop addict

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Well, well,the future belongs to young people.

National Emerson College poll, November 17-20, 2019
    Sanders continues to hold a strong lead with younger voters in the primary. Among voters under 50, Sanders received 37% support, followed by Warren with 22%, Biden with 15% and Yang with 7%

Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Polling is easy. Voting is hard.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Citizen

Yes that's true
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Apparently Biden threatened other countries not only for investigating his son's corrupt activity, but also for helping Edward Snowden, who had to defect from possible show trial or death at the hands of American government at the time.

Joe Biden is being lambasted by pundits for having the audacity to say illegal (or conditionally legal?) immigrants who commit felonies should be prioritized for deportation, because “all” deportations should be halted immediately:
    The immigration activist had started off by translating questions asked in Spanish by another attendee, who asked if the former vice president would stop all deportations immediately upon taking office if elected.
    Biden responded, "No. I will not stop all deportations. I will prioritize deportations, only people who have committed a felony or serious crime."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...mp/4273814002/
    Is this the hill Democrats want to die on? Does anyone know if this “stop all deportations” nonsense is actually prevalent in the party platform? The angle from left wing punditry seems to be that Obama’s record on deportations is something to be ashamed of.....because it was too effective?

I for one believe Obama had the best case approach to immigration we’ve seen in years if not decades, offering paths to legal status for people who came here as children, went to college, got careers, served in the military, etc. I can’t understand why executing the law, which is the basic duty of the executive branch, is supposed to be bad policy or bad politics. Biden could have responded better than to tell people to “vote for Trump,” but I’m not sure I’d have anything more to say to these so-called activists who would have the POTUS treat the law and immigration enforcement as a mere suggestion.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    The angle from left wing punditry seems to be that Obama’s record on deportations is something to be ashamed of.....because it was too effective?

I for one believe Obama had the best case approach to immigration we’ve seen in years if not decades,
    Well, Obama in general was the best case USA have seen since Reagan and a solid very solid proof that the 2-terms-limit is complete idiocy. Let the people decide when to change their representative, don't put stupid arbitrary limits just because the Republicans were butthurt FDR was around for 4 terms. It would have been disastrous for USA if FDR was 2-termed and it would have severe impact on USA's abilities during WW2.

The 2-term limit is a self-inflicted wound.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Well, Obama in general was the best case USA have seen since Reagan and a solid very solid proof that the 2-terms-limit is complete idiocy. Let the people decide when to change their representative, don't put stupid arbitrary limits just because the Republicans were butthurt FDR was around for 4 terms. It would have been disastrous for USA if FDR was 2-termed and it would have severe impact on USA's abilities during WW2.

I’ll say this: Obama, and more so the GOP reaction to Obama, convinced me to register as a Democrat. I consider myself a conservative and was a life long Republican. Can’t argue with his performance.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Isn't Biden chanceless now because of Bloomberg (aka same group of voters)?
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Sylva View Post
    Could be. I’d say Biden’s real problem is a) the man can barely speak in complete sentences anymore and looks like he has one foot in the grave and b) the party has moved much further to the left. I don’t see Bloomberg’s perennial billionaire ego trip to be a major factor as he is not running third party.....yet.

Could be. I’d say Biden’s real problem is a) the man can barely speak in complete sentences anymore and looks like he has one foot in the grave and b) the party has moved much further to the left. I don’t see Bloomberg’s perennial billionaire ego trip to be a major factor as he is not running third party.....yet.
    Give Bloomberg time. He hasn’t realized how little the dems want another billionaire in office.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Citizen

Biden and Bloomberg...they are made of the same clay, and from the the same mold.

U S. billionaires worry about the survival of the neoliberal system that made them rich, and they now are trying to redefine the "Purpose of a Corporation to Promote An Economy That Serves All Americans", Business Roundtable Redefines the Purpose of a Corporation ...
    Signed by 181 CEO's,
    Each version of the document issued since 1997 has endorsed principles of shareholder primacy – that corporations exist principally to serve shareholders. With today’s announcement, the new Statement supersedes previous statements and outlines a modern standard for corporate responsibility...Investing in our employees. This starts with compensating them fairly and providing important benefits...Dealing fairly and ethically with our suppliers...Supporting the communities in which we work

Hypocrites.What does the Bible say about hypocrisy?
    ----
    "Plagiarism is the fear of a blank page".
    Mokokoma Mokhonoana

Edit, I know that this is a very small matter, but where did all of Biden's hair come from?
    Last edited by Ludicus; November 25, 2019 at 06:31 PM.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Joe Biden is being lambasted by pundits for having the audacity to say illegal (or conditionally legal?) immigrants who commit felonies should be prioritized for deportation, because “all” deportations should be halted immediately:

Is this the hill Democrats want to die on? Does anyone know if this “stop all deportations” nonsense is actually prevalent in the party platform? The angle from left wing punditry seems to be that Obama’s record on deportations is something to be ashamed of.....because it was too effective?
    Here in Europe, there have been cases of people sabotaging deportations of actual criminals, including for example one rapist who was supposed to leave the UK. And those were "regular" (upper middle class) people, not just Antifa hooligans (well, the latter are from the same strata of society...). A large part of the voter base of the Dems and their equivalents in Europe and the rest of the Western world has absolutely no concept of reality or common sense when it comes to these things. They act like religious fanatics.

I think the term limit is a good idea, and kudos to the Americans for realizing it. If Germany had a 2-term limit, you would've been rid of Merkel long ago. Just sayin'...

Citizen

The US needs a parliamentary system, and more parties.
    Charles Péguy

Thomas Piketty

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    I think the term limit is a good idea, and kudos to the Americans for realizing it. If Germany had a 2-term limit, you would've been rid of Merkel long ago. Just sayin'...
    With disastrous effects for the Eurozone, for EU (Russia, Brexit etc) and for German stability. But all those disasters that Merkel's no-term-limit has averted aside:
    The German voters could have decided to get rid of her if they didn't want her. Now that she's losing her popularity because of immigration policies, she steps aside. It was not term limits, it's politics that sent her away when the people have shown that her time is up and her place in the politics would hurt her party.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    More parties for certain. Parliamentary system I don't know. What they have now works fine I think for a federal state.
    Last edited by alhoon; November 25, 2019 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Give Bloomberg time. He hasn’t realized how little the dems want another billionaire in office.
    Howard Schultz and Tom Steyer didn’t clue him in? I reckon he, as well as the latter, fell under the spell of his own sycophants telling him the country NEEDS him desperately because no one else is more brilliant or capable
    Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Here in Europe, there have been cases of people sabotaging deportations of actual criminals, including for example one rapist who was supposed to leave the UK. And those were "regular" (upper middle class) people, not just Antifa hooligans (well, the latter are from the same strata of society...). A large part of the voter base of the Dems and their equivalents in Europe and the rest of the Western world has absolutely no concept of reality or common sense when it comes to these things. They act like religious fanatics.
    There are fanatics among any political cleavage. It so happens the Left in the US has been demonstrably preferable to the GOP for the last decade and counting due to the comparative lack thereof. Were it not for Trumpists, this dynamic would actually be shifting in the other direction again more recently. Obama himself described it best:
    Quote Originally Posted by Obama
    “This idea of purity, and you’re never compromised, and you’re politically woke, and all that stuff — you should get over that quickly,” Obama told the audience. “The world is messy. There are ambiguities. People who do really good stuff have flaws.”

“One danger I see among young people particularly on college campuses, I do get a sense sometimes now among certain young people — and this is accelerated by social media — there is this sense sometimes the way of me making change is to be as judgmental as possible about other people and that’s enough.
    “Like if I tweet or hashtag about how you didn’t do something right, or use the wrong verb, then I can sit back and feel pretty good about myself. ‘Cuz man, did you see how woke I was? I called you out!’” Obama sarcastically remarked.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...-not-activism/
    It wasn’t a principled stance. The GOP in Congress during the 40s simply did not want to risk another popular Democrat president like FDR having 3-4 terms again. The whole affair ended up being an own goal when, a few years later, the same Constitutional amendment prevented a very popular GOP president, Eisenhower, from serving more than two terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Nope. Separation of powers is the cornerstone of good government. We’ve seen what happens when the legislative and executive functions become forged together by limitless partisan ambition. It is what has placed Trump above the law and protects him from justice. One trembles at the thought of the legislative majority party selecting the executive directly. Congressional oversight as a coequal branch of government is the only reason we know virtually anything beyond journalistic allegations about the crimes and abuse of power in which he and his henchmen have engaged. Federalist 51 is one example that provides among the best of explanations I’ve seen:

https://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed51.asp
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; November 25, 2019 at 10:15 PM.

Even with his history of groping women and children, Biden isn't known to be buddies with Epstein. Biden's main challenge is his own deteriorating health. Given how he can barely handle primaries, I doubt that he'd be able to even go through with general election.