Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boris may well be the worst PM since Lord North

Default Boris may well be the worst PM since Lord North

Sir Keir Starmer

“This was the week when we should have been talking about how we ease the lockdown safely. How we restart our economy, support businesses, get more children back to school,” Sir Keir said.

“Instead, the prime minister’s unwillingness or inability to do the right thing has left the government looking untrustworthy, unprincipled.

“And worst of all they have undermined the very public health advice that is necessary to keep us all safe, just to keep one powerful aide in his job.”

Due to a muddled response to a foreseeable pandemic 37,460 Britons are confirmed to have died from Coronavirus, the highest toll in Europe. There are 59,537 excess deaths,
    the highest death rate on this world.

It's all down to a privileged political class was unpreprared, complacent and incompetent. The inability to contain the virus necessitated rigid lockdown, with rules drafted in part by Boris's senior aide Dominic Cummings. Last Saturday it was revealed that during the lockdown Cummings and his wife and son both suffering symptoms of Covid-19, drove 400km north to his parents’ farm because he feared he couldn’t look after his son. It then emerged he had driven to a Barnard Castle, a local beauty spot with the family during the lockdown. This flouting of the social distancing rules have brought a storm of criticism, with a compelling case that there was one rule for the elite and one rule for the rest of the country.

Instead of referring the matter to the Cabinet Secretary, Cumming's boss, on Sunday Boris decided to face the press, defending his Cummings ations as perfectly reasonable.

The press didn't buy it so we wheeled out Cummingson Monday to explain the story from his side. He gave us 11/2 hours of plain including the excuse that he drove 30 miles to Barnard Castle whilst recovering from the effects of the virus , to test his eyesight ( arguably in itself , this story was true, it's a traffic violation).

Boris has continued to waste political capital on defending this unelected official ever since.

Millions of people are making sacrifices, both financial and personal in order to get the country back on its feet. Many have died doing so.So it is right that they expect those rules to be followed by everybody,for the common good.

Boris has now made clear that there is one law for the elite and one for everyone else and that this one man is more important to him than the wellbeing of the nation.The result seems to be the effective end of the lockdown as the peasants decide to ignore laws that were so publicy flouted by Cummings with visible support from our PM. The impending trace and track system, woefully late relies on public cooperation. I wouldn't put money on that happening until the Cummings issue is resolved.

England is now a laughing stock.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9535946.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a9535676.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9535291.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a9535351.html

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...pth-john-crace
    Last edited by mongrel; May 28, 2020 at 03:46 AM.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Default Re: Boris may well be the worst PM since Lord North

Don't worry. The next conservative PM will also be the worst since Lord North.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Cope; May 28, 2020 at 04:07 AM.

We'll trade Trump for him if you want.

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post

To be fair... it's not actually a tough argument to make for left of centre British voters... the last 3 Conservative British PMs have been consistently worse than their predecessors, relative to that left of centre viewpoint.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

They've been making the same "argument" about every conservative leader since I can remember. They're still livid about are Maggie.

To be fair, critical as I am of Teresa May, I didn't think she was that crap.

They've been making the same "argument" about every conservative leader since I can remember. They're still livid about are Maggie.
    The three bad decisions she made, Poll Tax, right to buy council homes and the Housing Act 1988, didn't lead to the deaths of tens of thousands of people.
    Last edited by mongrel; May 28, 2020 at 05:00 AM.

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by Coughdrop addict View Post
    We'll trade Trump for him if you want.
    That would be a like for like.

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    To be fair... it's not actually a tough argument to make for left of centre British voters... the last 3 Conservative British PMs have been consistently worse than their predecessors, relative to that left of centre viewpoint.
    I don't think May was worse than Cam moron, she inhertited his mess. She was just too stubborn to work with the opposition to sort things out.

Boris is an order of magnitude worse than either. Austerity is linked to 120,000 excess deaths over 10 years. Boris managed half of that in 3 months.
    Last edited by mongrel; May 28, 2020 at 04:57 AM.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

That would be a like for like.
    Not even close whatever he has done Boris is not actively destroying the British public service/civil service or advocating tossing the NHS (as far as I know) or trying to let the postal service die.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

If Trump is advocating for the postal service to be privatised, what does that say about the Prime Minister of a country where the Royal Mail is already privatised by his party?
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    "The UK has suffered the second-highest rate of deaths from the
    coronavirus pandemic after Spain, according to excess mortality figures."
    -Literally the first line of your source.
    It's also out of only 19 countries, again as mentioned by the source. Also, this is excess deaths and not just deaths from COVID19, otherwise I guess that the virus is resurrecting people in Israel and South Africa.

England is a laughing stock, but not for the reasons you've outlined. It was recently revealed that a man who was shot and murdered in the US was counted among the Covid deaths. I wonder if England has inflated death rates to fit its political narrative (spoiler, it certainly has) because we know actual death rate numbers to be much lower, and to be wholly unjustifiable when the alternative is an international depression with concurrent global food shortages. The fact you're so ready to blame your government and not the chicoms who clearly (at worst) orchestrated this pandemic or (at best) withheld vital information to curtail it is hilarious. Oi m8, you gorra loicense for dem covid deaths?

Why do you hate your own country so much? Is it because you think other countries are better? If so, why don't you move there?

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    "The UK has suffered the second-highest rate of deaths from the
    coronavirus pandemic after Spain, according to excess mortality figures."
    -Literally the first line of your source.
    It's also out of only 19 countries, again as mentioned by the source. Also, this is excess deaths and not just deaths from COVID19, otherwise I guess that the virus is resurrecting people in Israel and South Africa.
    As well as this, even the WHO is saying we haven't passed half way through the first wave. I'll hold on historic judgements on Covid performance until after the fact. We might yet see that his flip-flop incompetence pales in comparison to others who have seemed more in control.

As this situation is *unprecedented* I can offer some leeway when judging how leaders start to confront this situation, so long as they show the ability to pivot and correct poor decisions.

So yeah, I don't like him, I think he is a buffoon evil genius. But I just don't know how bad he is yet.

You cannot expect much from someone when even his forefathers was some kind of traitors

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    England is a laughing stock, but not for the reasons you've outlined. It was recently revealed that a man who was shot and murdered in the US was counted among the Covid deaths. I wonder if England has inflated death rates to fit its political narrative (spoiler, it certainly has) because we know actual death rate numbers to be much lower, and to be wholly unjustifiable when the alternative is an international depression with concurrent global food shortages. The fact you're so ready to blame your government and not the chicoms who clearly (at worst) orchestrated this pandemic or (at best) withheld vital information to curtail it is hilarious. Oi m8, you gorra loicense for dem covid deaths?

Why do you hate your own country so much? Is it because you think other countries are better? If so, why don't you move there?

The UK gets its stats in two ways, a count of death certificates in UK noting COVID as a reason , the second is excess deaths in UK compared with historical averages . It follows that the story of someone dying in another continent being included in UK stats is just so much . I'll ignore the conspiracy theory. I know Trump can't handle the crisis, pretending the virus isn't harmful won't change that.

Giiven my Irishness it's a bit of a racist notion that I must leave because some politician is not gaining my favour. In the UK people are free to have opinions of their own and are free to criticise any politician they choose. We are fortunate not governed by some bigoted manbaby who seems hellbent on destroying what decency is left in a once perfectly serviceable country.
    Last edited by mongrel; May 29, 2020 at 03:24 AM.

Senator

@Mongrel: Excess Deaths compared to the average is the way to go in a Pandemic... don`t know why some People don`t get it.
    Whats worse than Boris is his pick of advisers. At least Cummings should be gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebaki View Post
    You cannot expect much from someone when even his forefathers was some kind of traitors

Quote Originally Posted by Morifea View Post
    @Mongrel: Excess Deaths compared to the average is the way to go in a Pandemic... don`t know why some People don`t get it.
    Whats worse than Boris is his pick of advisers. At least Cummings should be gone now.
    Indeed, I note Ministers like the lower figure.

The whole point of Boris and Brexit was to carry out the 'will of the people' and ensure that the UK wasn't governed by 'unelected bureaucrats'. Yet despite the people screaming for Cummings to go, this unelected lawbreaking eugenicist fan remains stubbonly in place with Boris's public support.

So I guess you're not going to amend the false claim you've provided in the OP that contradicts the source you've linked?

So I guess you're not going to amend the false claim you've provided in the OP that contradicts the source you've linked?
    No I'm going to fart in the general direction of anyone trying to flame me.

It's a serious business. Tens of thousands of Brits are dead, most likely for no reason. Do you have any views on the handling of the COVID -19 crisis or not?

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    No I'm going to fart in the general direction of anyone trying to flame me.

It's a serious business. Tens of thousands of Brits are dead,
    Ah yes, people are dead and this is serious business so it's okay to lie in order to further exploit the tragedy! Maybe you should also write that you have the highest number of infected or something? It's not true, but that doesn't matter because people are like dead and stuff.
    most likely for no reason. Do you have any views on the handling of the COVID -19 crisis or not?
    Sure. Measures have been taken too late. But then, there are countries like Sweden that have little to no measures at all in place and yet seem to be doing better, so perhaps we might consider that that isn't the only factor at play?

Ah yes, people are dead and this is serious business so it's okay to lie in order to further exploit the tragedy! Maybe you should also write that you have the highest number of infected or something? It's not true, but that doesn't matter because people are like dead and stuff.
    Boris and his ministers told the nation that Dom’s only crime was loving his family too much – and so implying that every Briton who obeyed the rules that they loved their family too little. Yet the whole country could see through his nonsense. This from a man who cheated on his wife when she was in remission from cancer treatment and is said to have little to do with a legion of kids by random women.

Long term damage to the Tories or for all politicians?

My fear is that this is equivalent to the expenses scandal and all politicians will be seen to be hypocritical elitist to whom no rules or laws apply.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; May 29, 2020 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Nothing added.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast