View Poll Results: Which Democratic candidates do you prefer?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michael Bennet

    1 2.78%
  • Joe Biden

    5 13.89%
  • Cory Booker

    0 0%
  • Steve Bullock

    1 2.78%
  • Pete Buttigieg

    1 2.78%
  • Julian Castro

    0 0%
  • Bill de Blasio

    0 0%
  • John Delaney

    2 5.56%
  • Tulsi Gabbard

    8 22.22%
  • Kamala Harris

    0 0%
  • Amy Klobuchar

    2 5.56%
  • Wayne Messam

    0 0%
  • Robert Francis O'Rourke

    0 0%
  • Tim Ryan

    1 2.78%
  • Bernie Sanders

    12 33.33%
  • Joe Sestak

    0 0%
  • Tom Steyer

    0 0%
  • Elizabeth Warren

    10 27.78%
  • Marianne Williamson

    1 2.78%
  • Andrew Yang

    7 19.44%
  • Someone else

    4 11.11%
  • Don't care

    6 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 841 to 860 of 997

Thread: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

  1. #841
    Ludicus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    10,830

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    Trump doesn’t confine himself to observable reality
    Indeed.
    Let's listen to what he has to say,
    "We may be in the process of leaving Syria, but in no way have we Abandoned the Kurds, who are special people and wonderful fighters"

    A few hours later...Trump completely forgot what he said,

    "The U.S. is always the “sucker". The Kurds fought with us, but were paid massive amounts of money and equipment to do so. They have been fighting Turkey for decades. I held off this fight for almost three years, but it is time for us to get out..."

    And reaches the apex of megalomania,

    "As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate..."

    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post

    Opinion | Warren Versus the Petty Plutocrats - The New York Times
    Paul Krugman writes (excerpt), read the full article,
    I don't get it. The super-rich will be fine either way...
    Precisely. It's a small tax, they don't even notice it. Read the full article,
    "... is a nightmarish threat — not to their wallets, but to their egos"

    Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    All those "taxes on the rich" and "reparations" and other nonsense end up hitting the middle class and the moderately wealthy,
    I don't agree... it's common knowledge that the U.S. is suffering from excessive wealth disorder. A wealth tax is pro-growth. Want to grow the economy? Tax rich people like me. - Business Insider

    In June, he was one of 19 American billionaires and multimillionaires who signed an open letter, published in The New York Times, asking 2020 presidential candidates for a tax on the wealthy
    ----
    Zuckerberg agrees with Sanders Mark Zuckerberg on billionaires: 'No one deserves to have that much money
    ...said he "understands" where Bernie Sanders is coming from when the Democratic presidential candidate says billionaires shouldn't exist.
    "I don't know if I have an exact threshold on what amount of money someone should have, but on some level no one deserves to have that much money. I think if you do something that's good, you get rewarded, but I do think some of the wealth that can be accumulated is unreasonable".
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

    Socialism is the epithet they have hurled at every advance the people have made in the last 20 years.
    Harry Truman Oct. 10th, 1952

  2. #842

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Obama was a good President.
    Unless you were one of the civilians that got killed by one of his drones or got massacred by his jihadist "freedom fighters" in Libya or Syria, or just some guy that got beheaded by Mexican cartels that he helped arm.

    Seriously, the whole narrative where mainstream media tries to portray his presidency as some kind of stellar example of excellence is pretty much one of the reasons why Democrats keep digging themselves into rock bottom.
    At this point I won't be surprised if they throw in Hillary's decaying animated corpse as its Biden version keeps malfunctioning.

  3. #843

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Unless you were one of the civilians that got killed by one of his drones or got massacred by his jihadist "freedom fighters" in Libya or Syria, or just some guy that got beheaded by Mexican cartels that he helped arm.

    Seriously, the whole narrative where mainstream media tries to portray his presidency as some kind of stellar example of excellence is pretty much one of the reasons why Democrats keep digging themselves into rock bottom.
    At this point I won't be surprised if they throw in Hillary's decaying animated corpse as its Biden version keeps malfunctioning.
    These are inconsequential examples, not to mention that attributing cartel arms trafficking to Obama is a sizeable reach. I can come up with minor complaints about virtually every president ever. That's a poor metric to judge performance.

  4. #844

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    These are inconsequential examples, not to mention that attributing cartel arms trafficking to Obama is a sizeable reach. I can come up with minor complaints about virtually every president ever. That's a poor metric to judge performance.
    America under Obama played a major role in creating a humanitarian disaster in multiple countries, resulting with civil wars, massive civilian casualties and refugee crisis. I don't think providing arms to violent organized crime groups or murdering thousands of civilians is inconsequential either. Objectively speaking, Obama is a war criminal. He is just not as bad as Bush, but still way worse then Trump.

  5. #845
    Ludicus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    10,830

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Last year, the DNC changed superdelegates rules. BUT-it seems that they are now more important that ever before. Democratic Candidates Are Preparing For A Contested Convention
    First question- do dinosaurs still exist? why they do still exist? what's the point?
    Second question: is the DNC manipulating the race to favor Biden? if so, is manipulation a crime? back then( 2016), was it a "legal" crime? if I remember well,Virginia democrats voted for Bernie but ended up with Hillary.

    Democratic “Superdelegates” May Once Again Rob

    ...With the primary now set-up to make it virtually impossible for any one candidate to secure a delegate majority, the outsized role of superdelegates at the next Democratic National Convention seems all but assured. Those “unpledged” delegates comprise around a fifth of all Democratic Party delegates.
    ...Harris was quick to hire David Huynh, Hillary Clinton’s director of delegate operations in 2016, to serve as a senior adviser to her campaign. Harris’ hiring of Huynh drew attention at the time owing to his success in essentially weaponizing superdelegates in Clinton’s favor, leading some to suggest that Harris will follow a similar strategy despite the reduced role of superdelegates in the Democratic Party. Yet, now, with the role of superdelegates unlikely to be as “reduced” as previously believed, Harris’ strategy has taken on a new significance.
    As Johnstone recently noted:
    The extent to which superdelegates will be willing to outrage the party’s progressive base will depend on two related factors: how badly they want to beat Trump, and how badly they want to avoid a President Bernie Sanders.(1) Last time they were willing to risk getting Trump elected in order to keep Sanders out, and that may still be the case; the plutocrats who own the Democratic Party certainly aren’t doing any worse under Trump.”
    (1) Or Warren, The Working Families Party announced its endorsement of Elizabeth Warren in the Democratic primary over Sanders...
    Last edited by Ludicus; October 09, 2019 at 02:50 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

    Socialism is the epithet they have hurled at every advance the people have made in the last 20 years.
    Harry Truman Oct. 10th, 1952

  6. #846

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    It depends. Superdelegates have a reduced role in the primary this time around actually. Also, the Democratic party is more focused on small donors than ever, i.e. in fostering grassroots support.

  7. #847
    alhoon's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chania, Greece
    Posts
    21,231

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/...ssie-smollett/


    So... both Sleepy Jo and Pocahontas have made up stories to make them appear more sympathetic (aside of Warren claiming to be a person of color in the past). Why am I not surprised?
    DIE: Diversity, Inclusion, Equality (Pun on SJWs, I am not far-right)
    _______________________________________________________
    Beta-tester for Darthmod Empire, the default modification for Empire Total War that does not ask for your money behind patreon.

    Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

  8. #848

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    It depends. Superdelegates have a reduced role in the primary this time around actually. Also, the Democratic party is more focused on small donors than ever, i.e. in fostering grassroots support.
    I recall Warren using her war chest from senatorial run, to fund her bid for presidency as well and make herself look like she receives grassroots support.

  9. #849

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    I recall Warren using her war chest from senatorial run, to fund her bid for presidency as well and make herself look like she receives grassroots support.
    Your penchant for misrepresentation is amazing, really.

  10. #850
    Ludicus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    10,830

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    I would like to see - in the near future - the eradication of Trump from the political spectrum. In the next elections.Through the power of the democratic vote. I know, I am probably in minority here. And more- the Democratic candidate (Warren?/Sanders?) needs to have a free-scandal past.
    -----
    Hunter Biden is a reminder: Democrats are morally corrupt, too Guardian

    I don’t want to hear Democrats pretending that the fact that Biden’s son got a do-nothing $600k per year corporate handout is unremarkable. It is wrong.
    One of the peculiar stupidities of the American political mind is its resolute refusal to hold two separate ideas at once. Our dominant political narrative is like a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book for morons, offering only a conservative red storyline or a liberal blue storyline, with nothing in between or outside those primary color bounds.
    The son of a longtime US senator gets his start as a lawyer with one of the biggest corporate donors to his dad’s campaigns; a friend of his dad’s gets him a job in the Clinton administration, and then as a lobbyist; later, while his father is vice president, he is given a $50,000 per month seat on the board of a Ukrainian energy firm, despite lacking any clear energy expertise. How does this all happen? It happened the same way that Chelsea Clinton became a “special correspondent” for NBC News, and Jenna Bush got a job as a Today show host, and the Trump children got jobs overseeing a real estate empire. It happened the same way, for that matter, that George W Bush – objectively, a flailing dumbass – became the governor of Texas and then the president of the United States.
    When you are the son of a famous and powerful politician, you are showered with opportunity, whether you deserve it or not.
    This is nepotism, but it is also, if we are being direct, a form of corruption. Moral corruption.
    Give the rest of the world a chance, you greedy little cloistered aristocrats.
    Last edited by Ludicus; October 14, 2019 at 02:43 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

    Socialism is the epithet they have hurled at every advance the people have made in the last 20 years.
    Harry Truman Oct. 10th, 1952

  11. #851

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    On the contrary, I'd argue its about time we stop holding our leaders to some higher, moral plane. In my opinion, we have to elect our leaders on their merits and their ideas. I don't really care if somebody is a playboy or if someone was convicted of sexual assault in their past. What I need to know is their fit for office at this moment, today. Let me ask you this, can a convict be President? What kind of message are we sending if we, as a society, say that some things can never be forgiven, no matter how hard you work to atone for your sins?

    Similarly, why are we so tired of elitism? I am not threatened by people's intelligence. Some people are inherently more driven, some people are inherently more lucky and take advantage of all of their privilege to become the best they can be. Is it so terrible that a President should be somebody who was born into wealth, and who did the best he could to make themselves into an intelligent, well-mannered, and genuinely useful person to society? It is unfair that a son of a peasant farmer has less opportunities to become President than the son of a wealthy magnate. At the same time, it is much more likely that the wealthy magnate has infinitely more knowledge, more connections, more political power, and more of everything to be a better President for everyone.

    Rather than being concerned about the origins of the next POTUS, we should be far more concerned with what the next POTUS wants for the country. I have met poor people in my life who act like oppressed millionaires, similarly, I have met many wealthy people who are perhaps the most humble human beings I've ever met with great compassion for those less fortunate than themselves.

  12. #852
    Ludicus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    10,830

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    I am not threatened by people's intelligence.
    Sukiyama, my good friend, I'm not particularly impressed by Trump's intelligence or George II/Bush's intelligence, a lackluster student in prep school and college.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Some people are inherently more driven, some people are inherently more lucky and take advantage of all of their privilege to become the best they can be
    Luck isn't a genetic trait. Well, I'm not completely sure...two decades ago, Robert Mugabe has won the top prize in a lottery organised by a partly state-owned bank. But yes, they take advantage; welcome to the world of plutonomy (plutocracy+money).

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    it is much more likely that the wealthy magnate has infinitely more knowledge, more connections, more political power, and more of everything to be a better President for everyone.
    Well, you are the elitist, not me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    I'd argue its about time we stop holding our leaders to some higher, moral plane...I don't really care if somebody is was convicted of sexual assault in their past
    Convicted? I do care.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Rather than being concerned about the origins of the next POTUS...
    But you are concerned...the wealthy magnate has more of everything to be a better President, haven't you said that before? I'm not particularly concerned about the origins of a President,however I'm concerned about integrity. As a moral value, seems an indispensable element.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    What kind of message are we sending if we, as a society, say that some things can never be forgiven,
    Everything can be forgiven to the human being, as a human being-not as a President or Vice-President.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    we should be far more concerned with what the next POTUS wants for the country
    It seems to me that Biden doesn't want to change anything. That's what he wants for his country- and for the world.

    Food for thought. Alex of Tocqueville, visiting America in 1831,returned France to report,

    nothing struck me more forcibly than the general equality of conditions among the people
    Jefferson writes, two decades earlier,

    Most of the laboring class possess property, cultivate their own lands, have families, and from the demand of their labor are enabled to extract from the rich and the competent such prices as enable them to be fed abundantly, clothed above mere decency, to labor moderately and raise their families...The wealthy, on the other hand, and those at their ease, know nothing of what Europeans call luxury. They have only somewhat more comforts and decencies of life than those who furnish them. Can any condition of society be more desirable than this?...
    Now let's compute by numbers the sum of happiness of the two countries.
    In England, happiness is a lot of aristocracy only; and the proportion they bear to the laborers and paupers you know better than I do. Were I guess that they are four in every hundred, then the happiness of the nation would do its misery as one in twenty-five. In the United States it is as eight millions to zero or as all to none
    ----------
    So, where is Jefferson when the US needs him? America's Lost Egalitarian Tradition - jstor
    ------------
    Democrats Must Admit - The Intercept

    ...here’s how Daria Kaleniuk, head of Ukraine’s Anti-Corruption Action Center, put it to the Wall Street Journal: “If an investigator sees the son of the vice president of the United States is part of the management of a company … that investigator will be uncomfortable pushing the case forward.”
    That, of course, is simply obvious, and it is the entire reason Hunter Biden was paid so handsomely to do nothing but sell his name to the company. That’s corruption. Enough.
    I agree, this guy has more of everything.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

    Socialism is the epithet they have hurled at every advance the people have made in the last 20 years.
    Harry Truman Oct. 10th, 1952

  13. #853

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Sukiyama, my good friend, I'm not particularly impressed by Trump's intelligence or George II/Bush's intelligence, a lackluster student in prep school and college.
    Sure, but FDR came from a wealthy family, as was Kennedy, and Bush, etc. Yet the Presidents who came from "humble" beginnings are no better. Certainly you have Obama and Johnson, but you also have Nixon, Carter, Reagan, and Clinton. So I do not believe that a President's origin particularly matters when it comes to being a great or mediocre President, or being a "good" or "bad" person.

    Well, you are the elitist, not me.
    Absolutely. I worship intelligence and skill. While I certainly don't think that the "smartest" person should be President, I believe you have to possess a very high degree and a broad range of intelligence in order to be an effective President. While I would also prefer the President to share my values as well, I realize that my perceptions of "morality" and what "fairness" is, aren't necessarily correct. But yes, I believe that people in the government have to be intelligent and skilled and I would prefer a more effective white old money man to be President, over a well-meaning socialist black female, born in poverty, version of Trump.

    Convicted? I do care.
    I do not. To put it in perspective. If Kavanaugh was a liberal judge, who readily admitted his mistakes, who expressed remorse, who showed the correct temperament for SCOTUS, who kept his cool under such extreme public pressure, I would've had no problem even if he did commit sexual assault in his college years.

    But you are concerned...the wealthy magnate has more of everything to be a better President, haven't you said that before? I'm not particularly concerned about the origins of a President,however I'm concerned about integrity. As a moral value, seems an indispensable element.
    Depends on the context. It's perfectly possible that a man born in humble beginnings grows enough political connections, or becomes far more intelligent than his contemporaries, making him more fit for public office. What I'm saying is that being born in wealth doesn't mean you're not going to be a great President. If anything, being born in wealth, or at the very least, an upper-middle-class household, tremendously improves your chances of being a great President.

    Everything can be forgiven to the human being, as a human being-not as a President or Vice-President.
    Repenting for your sins, especially grave sins, is a mark of great moral and personal character.

  14. #854
    alhoon's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chania, Greece
    Posts
    21,231

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    On the contrary, I'd argue its about time we stop holding our leaders to some higher, moral plane. In my opinion, we have to elect our leaders on their merits and their ideas. I don't really care if somebody is a playboy or if someone was convicted of sexual assault in their past. What I need to know is their fit for office at this moment, today. Let me ask you this, can a convict be President? What kind of message are we sending if we, as a society, say that some things can never be forgiven, no matter how hard you work to atone for your sins?

    Similarly, why are we so tired of elitism? I am not threatened by people's intelligence. Some people are inherently more driven, some people are inherently more lucky and take advantage of all of their privilege to become the best they can be. Is it so terrible that a President should be somebody who was born into wealth, and who did the best he could to make themselves into an intelligent, well-mannered, and genuinely useful person to society? It is unfair that a son of a peasant farmer has less opportunities to become President than the son of a wealthy magnate. At the same time, it is much more likely that the wealthy magnate has infinitely more knowledge, more connections, more political power, and more of everything to be a better President for everyone.

    Rather than being concerned about the origins of the next POTUS, we should be far more concerned with what the next POTUS wants for the country. I have met poor people in my life who act like oppressed millionaires, similarly, I have met many wealthy people who are perhaps the most humble human beings I've ever met with great compassion for those less fortunate than themselves.
    Emmm... if we go by "Screw moral standards for our leaders" then many of the arguments against Trump collapse and many of the arguments for the democratic field disappear.

    You may disagree with some things Trump has done, but most of the criticism is rightfully based on many of his actions being immoral, not inherently bad for his electorate.
    Treating immigrants at the border horribly, pardoning wild sheriffs that abuse them and denying them basic human rights ... is effective to intimidate people from trying to cross. It sends the message that "undocumented migrants have a good chance to not be considered humans in the USA" which stems the flow. .
    USA unemployment is hilariously low. Stock market is high. Consumer confidence is high. Wages are increasing. Median disposable income is increasing. GDP had a growth between 2.5% to 4.1% (Obama's magic wand) for all the time Trump has been president.
    Less USA soldiers are dying abroad.

    But Trump is a butthole. A slight decrease in illegal immigrants doesn't justify inhumane acts (from a moral standpoint). Less USA soldiers dying abroad is because Trump backstabs allies and evacuates hotbeds leaving the locals to fend for themselves against brutal warlords (Afghanistan, Syria, and more). As long as ISIS doesn't threaten Americans (or his casinos) then according to Trump ISIS can do whatever the hell they want to those Yazidi dudes; genocide, sexual slavery, etc. The upturn to the economy is because Trump removes checks and balances opening the door for predatory practices and environmental disasters. Median income increases a bit while the profits of the billionaires double.
    Last edited by alhoon; October 16, 2019 at 05:33 PM.
    DIE: Diversity, Inclusion, Equality (Pun on SJWs, I am not far-right)
    _______________________________________________________
    Beta-tester for Darthmod Empire, the default modification for Empire Total War that does not ask for your money behind patreon.

    Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

  15. #855

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    If you think the justice system is the ultimate arbiter of human morality, I'd urge you to take a look at all the times the justice system got it wrong. Moreover, the way you've lived your life, is not a direct reflection of how "good" of a person you are. There is a lot of nuance is all I'm saying.

  16. #856
    Ludicus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    10,830

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    What I'm saying is that being born in wealth doesn't mean you're not going to be a great President
    Certainly, one thing does not exclude the other.
    It's also true that wealth not ability is the biggest predictor of future,however intelligence appears to have no absolute/direct correlation with wealth. Let's keep in mind that 80% of the wealth is owned by 20% of the people. If "you" are really smart, why aren't you rich? No, we don't live in a meritocracy in which people are rewarded for their talent/ intelligence/ effort, and so on. Not at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    But yes, I believe that people in the government have to be intelligent and skilled and I would prefer a more effective white old money man to be President, over a well-meaning socialist black female, born in poverty, version of Trump.
    Who is the black female version of Trump?..to whom are you referring?
    Sukiyama, have you realized that the explosive "cocktail" Black + Female + Poor +Stupid ... sounds racist and misogynist?

    Edit- I just noticed now. To add insult to injury, the word socialist appears in first place:socialist, black, female, poor and stupid.
    ----
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    ... or being a "good" or "bad" person.
    You are saying that honesty doesn't matter.Well, I don't agree,corruption matters.Corrupt leaders are bad Presidents.
    ----
    I don't know whether Biden has a broad range of intelligence or not.Money doesn't make anybody competent. But I do know that incompetent, rich people are more likely to get ahead than smart,competent people with no money.
    Ask me if Biden can compete with Donald Trump. My answer is no.Others have the same opinion. Biden's decline explained,
    Who won the Democratic debate? Winners and losers for the October ...

    Tuesday night was Biden’s opportunity to stop the bleeding. That didn’t really happen.
    First, Biden whiffed an answer that he should have been prepared for. Early on, moderator Anderson Cooper asked Biden about why it was okay for his son, Hunter, to be on the board of Burisma, a Ukrainian energy company, while Biden was vice president, influencing policy in Ukraine.
    Biden responded, “My son did nothing wrong. I did nothing wrong. I carried out the policy of the United States in rooting out corruption in Ukraine. That’s what we should be focusing on.”

    The answer missed the point.

    While there’s no evidence that Biden’s son did anything illegal, there’s still something a bit unsettling — even corrupt — about Biden’s son likely benefiting from his family name and maybe even his father’s policymaking.

    As Matt Yglesias put it, “That this kind of sleazy stuff has been going on for years doesn’t make Trump’s abuses of power okay, and it certainly doesn’t make his stepped-up and more-egregious forms of corruption okay.
    But Democrats are kidding themselves if they don’t think it helps explain why Trump’s corruption is tolerated.”

    After this moment, you could be forgiven for forgetting that Biden was even on the stage.
    ----


    Last edited by Ludicus; October 17, 2019 at 06:18 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

    Socialism is the epithet they have hurled at every advance the people have made in the last 20 years.
    Harry Truman Oct. 10th, 1952

  17. #857
    alhoon's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chania, Greece
    Posts
    21,231

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Well, Sanders may actually be brought down, physically, by the exhaustion of dealing with the attacks. He's a man on the end of his life. He can't do it.
    DIE: Diversity, Inclusion, Equality (Pun on SJWs, I am not far-right)
    _______________________________________________________
    Beta-tester for Darthmod Empire, the default modification for Empire Total War that does not ask for your money behind patreon.

    Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

  18. #858

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Certainly, one thing does not exclude the other.
    It's also true that wealth not ability is the biggest predictor of future,however intelligence appears to have no absolute/direct correlation with wealth. Let's keep in mind that 80% of the wealth is owned by 20% of the people. If "you" are really smart, why aren't you rich? No, we don't live in a meritocracy in which people are rewarded for their talent/ intelligence/ effort, and so on. Not at all.
    What does that have to do with what I said?

    Who is the black female version of Trump?..to whom are you referring?
    Sukiyama, have you realized that the explosive "cocktail" Black + Female + Poor +Stupid ... sounds racist and misogynist?

    Edit- I just noticed now. To add insult to injury, the word socialist appears in first place:socialist, black, female, poor and stupid.
    I'm not referring to anyone in particular. It's a hypothetical.
    ----

    You are saying that honesty doesn't matter.Well, I don't agree,corruption matters.Corrupt leaders are bad Presidents.
    Again, I'm not sure what you are referring to.

  19. #859

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Well, Sanders may actually be brought down, physically, by the exhaustion of dealing with the attacks. He's a man on the end of his life. He can't do it.
    Yes, he can. If he can brush off a heart attack he can brush of attacks which is something he've been doing for years.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  20. #860
    alhoon's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chania, Greece
    Posts
    21,231

    Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Yes, he can. If he can brush off a heart attack he can brush of attacks which is something he've been doing for years.
    That's the point: Brushing off attacks like he's been doing for half a century takes its toll. His heart is already giving out. If he doesn't rest, he may literally die within a year from the stress and exhaustion. His time has passed.
    DIE: Diversity, Inclusion, Equality (Pun on SJWs, I am not far-right)
    _______________________________________________________
    Beta-tester for Darthmod Empire, the default modification for Empire Total War that does not ask for your money behind patreon.

    Developer of Causa Belli submod for Darthmod, headed by Hammeredalways and a ton of other people.
    Developer of LtC: Random maps submod for Lands to Conquer (that brings a multitude of random maps and other features).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •