View Poll Results: Who's your favourite candidate for the 2020 Democratic Primaries?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bernie Sanders.

19 48.72%
  • Joe Biden.

5 12.82%
  • Neither.

15 38.46%
Page 104 of 116 FirstFirst ... 45479949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2310

Thread: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

Default Re: USA Democratic party 2020 candidates and primaries thread

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    It is other way around, given how TDS crowd bashed Trump for "creating panic" by enacting measures to promptly, but now changed the narrative just to cook up "gotcha" talking points to criticize Trump.
    Trump didn't downplay coronavirus. Unlike other world leaders, Trump's actions were guided by commons sense, not by psychotic obsession with preserving "muh interentaional trade" at expense of their own people, like it was with so many world leaders (ironically same ones that people with TDS tend to bring up as good example as opposed to Trump like Macron or trudeau). And of course Chinese government is to blame for coronavirus outbreak. They denied it even existed for more then a month.
    I don't always "lol" but when I do its hilarious. You don't know what "TDS" stands for, don't you?
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    I don't always "lol" but when I do its hilarious. You don't know what "TDS" stands for, don't you?
    Yes, it stands fro Trump Derangement Syndrome when people have irrational obsession with Trump, mainly due to biased and non-factual coverage from mainstream media. Hence the non-factual and mutually-inconclusive accusations against him that don't make much sense in the context of objective reality.
    The goal here is not to make an objective evaluation of his actions in regards to pandemic, but desperate need to maintain ORANGE MAN BAD narrative. Hence why anti-Trumpers, who only a few days ago called Trump racist panicker for acknowledging the fact that pandemic is happening now made a 180 and criticize him for not enacting measures to contain it soon enough (even though he was one of the first world leaders to do that).
    Last edited by Heathen Hammer; March 15, 2020 at 11:44 AM.

reavertm's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    He totally made that statement and forgot because aside of a castro enthusiast (he defends Castro to this day) he's also old.
    Oh, you are the I-know-better one. I see.
    Alan Gross is not much younger than Sanders and is former US intelligence contactor. Why do you think he was imprisoned? For smuggling food into Cuba?
    Gabbard warned US intelligence agencies not to meddle with elections, I wonder why she did.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Cause she's crazy and likes the attention?

Yes, it stands fro Trump Derangement Syndrome when people have irrational obsession with Trump, mainly due to biased and non-factual coverage from mainstream media. Hence the non-factual and mutually-inconclusive accusations against him that don't make much sense in the context of objective reality.
    The goal here is not to make an objective evaluation of his actions in regards to pandemic, but desperate need to maintain ORANGE MAN BAD narrative. Hence why anti-Trumpers, who only a few days ago called Trump racist panicker for acknowledging the fact that pandemic is happening now made a 180 and criticize him for not enacting measures to contain it soon enough (even though he was one of the first world leaders to do that).
    It also stands for "Trump Delusion Syndrome" where you're unable to find any fault with Trump. You're basically just trying to shoot down any criticism without feeling the need to actually address what people point out while you simply make stuff up to keep on talking. Your entire premise is based on tilting reality upside down to exchange roles so that you can defend Trump.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Cause she's crazy and likes the attention?
    Then how come Gabbard, along with Yang, was the only sane candidate from all of Democratic primaries?

Civitate

Then how come Gabbard, along with Yang, was the only sane candidate from all of Democratic primaries?
    Sane people don't promote conspiracy theories. And Yang supports Biden now so i guess he's sane enough.

Sane people don't promote conspiracy theories.
    Like the Trump-Putin collusion one?
    And Yang supports Biden now so i guess he's sane enough.
    Yeah, sane enough to endorse a guy with some kind of dementia.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

The fact that you're giving me this wordy ranting about how your arguments are exposed as outright false instead of actually going back and admitting the number of factually incorrect claims you've made tells us quite a lot. Whether Sanders is a communist or not isn't even part of our current discussion, yet, you somehow reference it instead of the employee co-determination scheme Sanders is advocating. You continue to misled people and I'll continue to shoot them down with facts.
    The commie thing was an example. You continue to mislead people and I will continue to point to my previous posts that shot down your previous and re-re-re-re-re-reposted arguments, as they have the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    That's good to hear.But he is neither crazy nor communist.You see, I'm anti-communist.Sorry, you don't even know what communism is.I could tell you so many things...
    And you're wrong, he's a communist. Not an authoritarian one like Stalin, but he doesn't believe in private property and he puts the mass above the individual. There are good communists too you know. Still dangerous, deluded and naïve, but good people.
    Sanders is one of them.

As a note, not all communists agree on everything you know; many many communists were devout Christians and didn't balk at the opiate of the masses. Many communists are not Marxist-Lenin too (Mao for example). Communism is a big umbrella.

You are also mistaken that Communism was stopped. Billions of people live under communist regimes. And many people in USA support a communist (Sanders).
    Last edited by alhoon; March 15, 2020 at 05:19 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

The commie thing was an example. You continue to mislead people and I will continue to point to my previous posts that shot down your previous and re-re-re-re-re-reposted arguments, as they have the facts.
    If you already addressed them you would have no trouble pointing where you did so. Instead, you literally said that you didn't even read my post. So, for you to talk about how you already addressed points that you apparently didn't even read is quite rich. Seriously, you have dug yourself a deep well, and you're trying to shout from it. It's not working.
    The Armenian Issue

Moderator Emeritus

If you already addressed them you would have no trouble pointing where you did so. Instead, you literally said that you didn't even read my post. So, for you to talk about how you already addressed points that you apparently didn't even read is quite rich. Seriously, you have dug yourself a deep well, and you're trying to shout from it. It's not working.
    I disagree and I think it does work. I told you where to find the answers to points that I didn't read but you have made 12 times over and I have shot down 12 times over: In my previous posts. I won't go and read the same things again and then look for my answers in previous pages. You are perfectly capable to do that if you want.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

I disagree and I think it does work. I told you where to find the answers to points that I didn't read but you have made 12 times over and I have shot down 12 times over: In my previous posts. I won't go and read the same things again and then look for my answers in previous pages. You are perfectly capable to do that if you want.
    We have only discussed the employee co-determination topic once before and we never went into such detail. You're even lying about what you're discussing. You're trying to portray facts as if they're repetition of old claims to avoid acknowledging that you were simply making stuff up. Otherwise, you'd need to come up with really idiotic arguments. Instead, you're choosing to continue this stupid charade of yours to avoid having an intelligent debate. You're being suffocated in that hole you dug up with horse manure.
    The Armenian Issue

Moderator Emeritus

Trump being one of the few leaders not ignoring common sense probably saved lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans by establishing prompt travel bans. That will definitely give him weight in general election, especially if Sanders (who praised Chinese government that caused the pandemic) gets the nomination.
    Trump didn't downplay coronavirus. Unlike other world leaders, Trump's actions were guided by commons sense, not by psychotic obsession with preserving "muh interentaional trade" at expense of their own people, like it was with so many world leaders[...] And of course Chinese government is to blame for coronavirus outbreak. They denied it even existed for more then a month.
    Ehh... what? I have asked in the past and I will ask again: Do you really believe those things? Do you actually, honestly believe that Trump reacted well with Coronavirus when he was saying Monday that it will blow over and Wednesday he was putting up travel bans and Friday was declaring national emergency?! When he contradicted his own staff and health authorities and they had to go set record straight?
    Trump was denying the numbers that his own agencies were putting up! That was not "blown up by the media", you can see his interviews and televised addresses and hear them with your own two ears and then compare them with the actual numbers given out those days by his own government.

Quote Originally Posted by reavertm View Post
    Oh, you are the I-know-better one. I see.
    Alan Gross is not much younger than Sanders and is former US intelligence contactor. Why do you think he was imprisoned? For smuggling food into Cuba?
    Gabbard warned US intelligence agencies not to meddle with elections, I wonder why she did.
    Wait... what? You make a fair point here.
    That guy that was arrested... he was arrested for something. What was he arrested for? Where did you find those things you hint and don't say? (Please no 12-page articles).
    EDIT: I read this on Wikipedia.
    It doesn't sound that bad. He was not even charged with espionage. OK, he seems to have ... supplied seditious elements of Cuba with equipment to contact others (I.e. USA elements) without detection but that's not too bad. Certainly not something I would like to be done in my country, but not a whole conspiracy to bring down Cuba. Just... enabling some old people to talk about Cuba to others across the sea.

On the other hand, that doesn't excuse Sanders saying to him that he didn't see anything bad about Cuba. And Sanders' campaign has taken too long to deny the allegations that were around since 2016 and lukewarmly denied just now - to my knowledge. If you have seen an article with a swift and strong denial by Sanders himself back in the 2016 or even 2019, then I would like to read it.

Like the Trump-Putin collusion one?
    You mean like that crazy conspiracy theory, where Trump was standing next to Putin and openly said that he believed Russia's intelligence agencies instead of his own intelligence agencies? Or that other crazy conspiracy theory about Trump's campaign exchanging information with Russians illegally, that was totally disproved by several members of Trump's campaign being sent to jail for those crimes during ... a Republican government?
    Last edited by alhoon; March 15, 2020 at 05:40 PM.

Do you actually, honestly believe that Trump reacted well with Coronavirus when he was saying Monday that it will blow over and Wednesday he was putting up travel bans and Friday was declaring national emergency?!
    I'm judging by actions, not by out-of-context statements. Compared to other world leaders he definitely acted promptly. Now imagine if Hillary was president. She'd deny that pandemic was even happening until the very last moment and would refuse to shut down borders or enact any other preventive measures like Mr. Blackface does up here in Canada. So yeah, people who didn't vote for her probably saved hundreds of thousands of lives.
    You mean like that crazy conspiracy theory, where Trump was standing next to Putin and openly said that he believed Russia's intelligence agencies instead of his own intelligence agencies? Or that other crazy conspiracy theory about Trump's campaign exchanging information with Russians illegally, that was totally disproved by several members of Trump's campaign being sent to jail for those crimes during ... a Republican government?
    Innocent until proven guilty and all that. It seems that term "conspiracy theory" is one-way street, where pro-and anti-establishment narratives are treated by different standards of verification. Not to mention that while "muh Russia" is merely a partisan narrative aimed at white-washing failure of Democratic Party, Gabbard herself is a Democrat, so her warning against intelligence agencies meddling in US is hardly of partisan nature. She is one of a few Democrats who is actually neither corrupt, outright evil or crazy and the only one from primaries who'd have a chance against Trump.

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

Do you really believe those things? Do you actually, honestly believe that Trump reacted well with Coronavirus when he was saying Monday that it will blow over and Wednesday he was putting up travel bans and Friday was declaring national emergency?! When he contradicted his own staff and health authorities and they had to go set record straight?
    Trump was denying the numbers that his own agencies were putting up! That was not "blown up by the media", you can see his interviews and televised addresses and hear them with your own two ears and then compare them with the actual numbers given out those days by his own government.
    His administration squandered precious time by ignoring it for two months, firing the pandemic response team, gutting the CDC, and calling the outbreak a Democrat hoax. At this point, the only people praising Trump's response to Coronavirus are cultists and sycophants.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Civitate

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bernie-sa...200016598.html

Great article regarding Bernie's early political ideology and his relationship with the regimes in Cuba and Nicaraqua. This part disturbed me:

Sanders also engaged with Nicaragua’s critics. He monitored reports of the Sandinistas’ mistreatment of indigenous groups. And in October 1985, a man named Edward Pike wrote a letter to Sanders asking him to revoke Puerto Cabezas’ sister city designation. Pike accused Sanders of “supporting a regime with no concern for civil rights.”

“I think it is high time for you to eat crow, and realize that this government is but another in a long line of dictatorships,” Pike wrote.

Sanders responded with a letter of his own wherein he argued that the “temporary suspension of civil liberties” in Nicaragua was “considerably more complex” and justified by American aggression.
    Stuff like that just makes Bernie look bad. The same man who called the Saudis murderous thugs but justifies the actions of the Sandinistas

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

And you're wrong, he's a communist. Not an authoritarian one like Stalin, but he doesn't believe in private property and he puts the mass above the individual. There are good communists too you know. Still dangerous, deluded and naïve, but good people.
    Sanders is one of them.

As a note, not all communists agree on everything you know; many many communists were devout Christians and didn't balk at the opiate of the masses. Many communists are not Marxist-Lenin too (Mao for example). Communism is a big umbrella.

You are also mistaken that Communism was stopped. Billions of people live under communist regimes. And many people in USA support a communist (Sanders).
    if hes a communist hes the first communist in history to lie about being a communist

the best way to identify a communist: they will tell you
    Last edited by RedGuard; March 16, 2020 at 03:54 PM.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

And you're wrong, he's a communist..
    Even if it's patently untrue, why is so convincing repeat a claim again and again? if Sanders is communist, I'm Stalin. Let's me put it this way: we fought communism, but it is important to say this: we don't hate communists - generally speaking.

For example: here, in the last elections, the Socialist Party (the ruling Party, now leading the country for more 4 years) won the most votes, but we feel short of a parliamentary majority.
    whenever is possible, we pursue temporary, episodic alliances with the Left Bloc and the Communist Party in order to pass legislation. But not with the right. Nyet, nein, nope.
    The Prime Minister stated the obvious , on Portuguese elections "Left-wing voters preferred the renewal of the previous agreement to a single Socialist majority."
    This is what we have been doing in the last four years. Guess what, our international credibility is high. The Eurogroup President is the Portuguese Socialist finance Minister. Guterres, secretary-general of the United Nations, served as prime minister of Portugal, as leader of the Socialist Party, and served as President of the Socialist International
    Portugal recovery is a 'success story' - European Mechanism ...
    Der Spiegel A Socialist Success Story in Portugal
    Financial Times Portugal's comeback is the eurozone's socialist success story ...
    Financial Times Portugal's bright outlook offers Europe some hope | Financial ...
    etc.etc ad nausea...
    The high quality healthcare system ranked as the 9th best in Europe and 12th in the World.,
    The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health ...
    Freedom? Portugal ranks high on freedom index - The Portugal News
    Portugal was handed a score of 97 out of 100, beating the likes of the United Kingdom and the United States by some margin.
    To conclude: Sanders is a democratic socialist. What you are doing is what Edmund Wilson calls "diabolizing" the enemy, the slogan "red or dead"; Sanders is pink, not red.
    --
    --
    The dictator Somoza's iron grip on the country was practically created by U.S. imperialism. Somoza -and his family- owned most of the country. Before the rise of the Somoza dynasty, the government was run by Adolfo Díaz, a leader installed by the U.S. Marines. Sandino led the struggle against U.S. imperialism and the Díaz government.
    The Nicaraguan Revolution: History and Impact - ThoughtCo
    While Carter was in office, the Sandinistas were relatively safe from U.S. aggression, but all that changed when Ronald Reagan was elected.
    Great article regarding Bernie's early political ideology..Stuff like that just makes Bernie look bad. The same man who called the Saudis murderous thugs but justifies the actions of the Sandinistas
    Not a great article.Superficial, biased. The dictator Somoza's iron grip on the country was practically created by U.S. imperialism. Somoza-and his family-owned most of the country. Before the rise of the Somoza dynasty, the government was run by Adolfo Díaz, a leader installed by the U.S. Marines. Sandino led the struggle against U.S. imperialism and the Díaz government.
    While Carter was in office, the Sandinistas were relatively safe from U.S. aggression, but all that changed when Ronald Reagan was elected
    Read the whole story.
    Nicaragua 1979-2019. History of the Sandinista Revolution ...
    Last edited by Ludicus; March 16, 2020 at 05:59 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    if hes a communist hes the first communist in history to lie about being a communist

the best way to identify a communist: they will tell you
    Ehh... +rep. I am not convinced, but +rep.
    Yes, all communists I know did tell me. Many times. Unprompted. Even when I told them I don't like communists. Not that I don't care, that I don't like communists. They always take that as an invitation to tell me more about it...

But I am not convinced. What you say is true for ... most communists. The vast majority. Not everyone.
    But I doubt all communists through history would openly admit they're communists.

As such, while you do have a point there, I will still refer to someone with such a displayed, strong aversion to billionaires, so much pro-employee and so much more mass-over-individual views as a commie.

Innocent until proven guilty and all that.
    Hillary was proven innocent about Benghazi twice. The Republican lock-her-upers also found nothing criminal in her conduct with the emails. I don't see any big apologies to Hillary that was proven innocent nor an "Innocent until proven guilty".

Whataboutism you would say... that's correct, but here's a thread about the democrats so it fits.

So, yes, Trump was found not-guilty. That doesn't change that his campaign collaborated with the Russians as people close to him were found guilty and went to prison. As such, while you can say that the theory on Trump and Russians is false, you can't say it's fiction. It is based on reality even if he was not guilty personally and people close to him are in jail for it. There was collusions with the Russians.

Now, closer to the topic: Between Trump, Biden and Sanders, I would prefer Trump.
    With the Coronavirus crushing the economy and scaring the population, Trump's re-election chances are hurt. With Biden putting moderate democrats at ease, his chances are IMO, bad. Yes, Biden is gaffe-prone and that could well be senility. But Trump is not the main example of coherent speech either.
    As such... yes, I would prefer if Sanders won the nomination or at least stuck around long enough. I realize I have used most of my posts in this thread rightfully bashing the insane old commie and that now I say I hope he wins. Well, I hope he wins because Trump would have a much easier time against Sanders.

And I still prefer Tulsi Gabbard and I honestly, hand-to-heart, believe she is the best candidate at the time. I really can't understand why she has so little traction. I understand she's more aligned with Republican voters and on-edge-to-Republican voters but... that means she should be doing well with independents! And yet, in states where independents voted, she was at the bottom of the barrel.
    I don't understand why.
    For starters she's a person that would survive Coronavirus if infected and she's not 75+ years old. Her views are not that out of place either.

@Ludicus:
    - I am not diabolizing Sanders. I respect the man, I just disagree strongly with him and consider his agenda catastrophic. Would I like to hung out with Sanders, have some tea and discuss with him why what he suggests is pure insanity? Of course! He seems like the kind that would be happy to explain his views and discuss them, and the kind of guy that would do a respectful debate.
    Frankly, we should invite him in TWC so he can tell to all of you that disagree with my take on his recorded statements that I am right and you are wrong, that my take on his views is the correct one.

- Did Portuguese success story, with the communist party in the government bloc etc etc includes 45% of the board votes being done by the Unions? 2% of the stocks being passed to the workers PER YEAR? 1% to 8% ultrarich tax on net worth plus all other taxes?
    I would make a guess: No.
    Because Sanders is probably to the left of the Communist party of Portugal.

AGAIN TO BE CLEAR: I am not saying that being leftwing is a bad thing. I am not saying the only good communist is a dead communist. I know many good communists. I also believe a few leftwings in the parliament are needed to keep the boat sailing straight instead of veering to the right drawn in by uberbanks.
    What I am saying is that the stuff Sanders suggests is downright ludicrous and dangerous.
    Would the USA congress pass them? Nah, they're not insane.

But I also anti-Union, having seen their effect in Greek companies and how corrupt they become. And Sanders as PotUS would be the golden era of the Unions.
    Frankly, Sanders being #2 in the debates could push Biden to be more pro-Union.

PLUS: I don't mind Sandino and his movement in the 20s, I mind the crimes of the Sandinistas in the 80s.
    Last edited by alhoon; March 16, 2020 at 10:54 PM.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Ludicus View Post
    Even if it's patently untrue, why is so convincing repeat a claim again and again? if Sanders is communist, I'm Stalin. Let's me put it this way: we fought communism, but it is important to say this: we don't hate communists - generally speaking.

For example: here, in the last elections, the Socialist Party (the ruling Party, now leading the country for more 4 years) won the most votes, but we feel short of a parliamentary majority.
    whenever is possible, we pursue temporary, episodic alliances with the Left Bloc and the Communist Party in order to pass legislation. But not with the right. Nyet, nein, nope.
    The Prime Minister stated the obvious , on Portuguese elections "Left-wing voters preferred the renewal of the previous agreement to a single Socialist majority."
    This is what we have been doing in the last four years. Guess what, our international credibility is high. The Eurogroup President is the Portuguese Socialist finance Minister. Guterres, secretary-general of the United Nations, served as prime minister of Portugal, as leader of the Socialist Party, and served as President of the Socialist International
    Portugal recovery is a 'success story' - European Mechanism ...
    Der Spiegel A Socialist Success Story in Portugal
    Financial Times Portugal's comeback is the eurozone's socialist success story ...
    Financial Times Portugal's bright outlook offers Europe some hope | Financial ...
    etc.etc ad nausea...
    The high quality healthcare system ranked as the 9th best in Europe and 12th in the World.,
    The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health ...
    Freedom? Portugal ranks high on freedom index - The Portugal News

To conclude: Sanders is a democratic socialist. What you are doing is what Edmund Wilson calls "diabolizing" the enemy, the slogan "red or dead"; Sanders is pink, not red.
    --
    --
    The dictator Somoza's iron grip on the country was practically created by U.S. imperialism. Somoza -and his family- owned most of the country. Before the rise of the Somoza dynasty, the government was run by Adolfo Díaz, a leader installed by the U.S. Marines. Sandino led the struggle against U.S. impesaialism and the Díaz government.
    While Carter was in office, the Sandinistas were relatively safe from U.S. aggression, but all that changed when Ronald Reagan was elected.

Not a great article.Superficial, biased. The dictator Somoza's iron grip on the country was practically created by U.S. imperialism. Somoza-and his family-owned most of the country. Before the rise of the Somoza dynasty, the government was run by Adolfo Díaz, a leader installed by the U.S. Marines. Sandino led the struggle against U.S. imperialism and the Díaz government.

Read the whole story.
    Nicaragua 1979-2019. History of the Sandinista Revolution ...
    Sandino's movement also conducted numerous human rights violations against the indigenous people of Nicaragua. The Miskito people have never forgiven the Sandinistas and still hate them to this day. Sandinistas were also known for their mass executions and use of torture.

You can't hide from facts. The Sandinistas are murderers.