Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.1.5 Test Update

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Default 5.1.5 Test Update

So there are currently a couple major issues with 5.1.4 that I think you are all aware of that also need fixing in the new update.

We have put together a possible new update that we may be releasing before TGWVI. This update features no new content, just fixes.

Change List:

Increased tank unit numbers to prevent them from disappearing after a battle.
    removed autonomy from west prussia
    Remove mg bunkers to reduce crashing issues
    fixed issue with serbia not revolting as serbia
    fixed ottomans buildings all being the canon foundry
    added foundry to galicia since it wouldnt let you build one from an empty slot
    fixed greece not being able to build ships
    fixed ottoman ship model still being vanilla
    Reverted formations.bin back to vanilla to fix BAI

The file is too large to upload directly to TWC so here is a direct link to my google drive account. Please give this a try and let me know if the battle AI is improved and if there is less crashing in general.

EDIT; Removed the download link since we are starting testing of TGWVI
    Last edited by B-DizL; May 21, 2019 at 01:59 PM.

Default Re: 5.1.5 Test Update

thank you...

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Kingartist21 View Post
    thank you...
    No problem

Please let me know if it improves the game.

Currently playing with Ottoman. No problem after 20 rounds. The Ottoman ship model has improved. thanks

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Kingartist21 View Post
    Currently playing with Ottoman. No problem after 20 rounds. The Ottoman ship model has improved. thanks
    Excellent. How are the battles? Is the battle AI working better?

double post sorry

Wow you're actually updating this, nice!! Will redownload now to test this patch. Did I read something about you fixing that everyone speaking spanish bug? I can't recall if I read it here or another mod.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by tommytoxen View Post
    Wow you're actually updating this, nice!! Will redownload now to test this patch. Did I read something about you fixing that everyone speaking spanish bug? I can't recall if I read it here or another mod.
    Thats being fixed in TGWVI, so that wont be included in 5.1.5.

This isnt an official patch yet but if it makes a really big difference as far as crashing and battle AI then we'll post it as an official patch on MODdb.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Thats being fixed in TGWVI, so that wont be included in 5.1.5.

This isnt an official patch yet but if it makes a really big difference as far as crashing and battle AI then we'll post it as an official patch on MODdb.
    Nice. Really happy you're still working on this, haven't played it in a couple of years. Got caught up in Uni work.

Downloading now I'll play and let you know ASAP how battle AI is

Wish i knew more about modding so I could help you guys, now I've got some more free time maybe I'll dive into files and learn

Wow, so far so good. Not a single crash yet. Only played battles though not tried a campaign will do that tomorrow. Will let you know about BAI after a few more battles.

Will this fix the Campaign crash that forever plagued this game past a certain point? Because I for one think this is the best mod ever created and the fact a'll are still fixing and updating in 2019 is insane. I love you guy sso much.

Patrician

Wow, so far so good. Not a single crash yet. Only played battles though not tried a campaign will do that tomorrow. Will let you know about BAI after a few more battles.
    I mostly tested the battle ai using custom battles so if that is improved thats awesome. But yeah the campaign is the most important part so let me know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Toastedted View Post
    Will this fix the Campaign crash that forever plagued this game past a certain point? Because I for one think this is the best mod ever created and the fact a'll are still fixing and updating in 2019 is insane. I love you guy sso much.
    Thanks. The only fix to prevent crashing I did was removing the machine gun bunkers so im not sure if that will also prevent the crash you are referring to. Hopefully it will though as the AI tends to recruit a ton of the mg bunkers and I think thats whats causing most of the crashes.

Battle AI seems to be okay, but seems to zerg a little too much. I end up having a blob of troops on one of the flanks all zerging at once getting too close but they just end up in a messy blob getting annihilated, no covering fire or anything

Napoleon: Brutal War
    Gameplay, audio & visuals award, 2016

Patrician

Crap, well back to the drawing board i guess.

EDIT: welp, i just finally got a chance to really test the new battle AI using Bran Mac Born's custom AI and the vanilla formations and I lost 2 battles in a row. These were literally even 1:1 battles, with the old AI I would have won no problem. But now I lost rather badly, once against russia and once against serbia. Only russia zerg rushed me at the very end after they had whittled down my army so badly that i was just barely hanging on then they finished me off. Serbia actually stayed in their trenches until i got right up to them then they attacked, they never zerg rushed. My right flank collapsed under their heavy fire then it was pretty much over at that point.

So what this means is the problem with the BAI was both the AI itself, probably the battle entites in particular and the formations together causing the AI to bunch up and zerg rush constantly.

This is really really good news.
    Last edited by B-DizL; April 28, 2019 at 03:12 PM.

Hello B-Dizl. The flag of the republic in England does not appear on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Crap, well back to the drawing board i guess.

EDIT: welp, i just finally got a chance to really test the new battle AI using Bran Mac Born's custom AI and the vanilla formations and I lost 2 battles in a row. These were literally even 1:1 battles, with the old AI I would have won no problem. But now I lost rather badly, once against russia and once against serbia. Only russia zerg rushed me at the very end after they had whittled down my army so badly that i was just barely hanging on then they finished me off. Serbia actually stayed in their trenches until i got right up to them then they attacked, they never zerg rushed. My right flank collapsed under their heavy fire then it was pretty much over at that point.

So what this means is the problem with the BAI was both the AI itself, probably the battle entites in particular and the formations together causing the AI to bunch up and zerg rush constantly.

This is really really good news.
    The zerg problem is a problem with NTW its self, I played around with BAI myself in 2016, there's only so much you can do. It's like they're hard-coded to try and get as close as possible.

I can't remember exactly what I did, but when I played around with it I lowered the melee divisor I think it was and slightly increased accuracy of weapons, which made the AI calculate that a firefight was more advantageous than zerging in melee.

I know in vanilla NTW a lot of troops just calculate melee = more powerful than standing and fighting so; zerg

I think Bran did this too.

It's actually not so bad with your mod because of the huge range that rifles have anyway

And I agree, I got my patootey kicked, they went for my flank which was smart. The BAI up until that point as great, it's just on the flank there they got bunched up and got themselves a little confused and mixed up.

I'm gonna play some more tonight on a bigger map. It may just be a mixture of the vast amount of units and the smaller space.

I played on 'grassy flatlands' and the BAI played much better on that, I also knocked up the difficulty level. Very good.

It was as I suspected, in the smaller, narrower maps when they have vast amount of units descending on one location they just get bunched up. On grassy flatlands they seemed to spread out a little more . They still melee'd my flanks, but that's to be expected, afterall in the real WW1 they would cross no man's land to get into the enemy's trenches. But they stood and fought with rifles a lot more too in the center.

Not sure if you've done it, but if I remember right, setting their attack parameters for 'rear' to 0 helped a lot, because giving instructions to go for the rear gets them confused and had them bunch up on flanks. But by removing rear and just increasing flank just slightly higher than center attack they understood that a lot better, and would naturally attack from the rear once around the flank anyway.

But yeah, so far BAI is looking good if you use a map with plenty of space to accommodate the unit numbers nice job. fun battle that was!

Patrician

I played on 'grassy flatlands' and the BAI played much better on that, I also knocked up the difficulty level. Very good.

It was as I suspected, in the smaller, narrower maps when they have vast amount of units descending on one location they just get bunched up. On grassy flatlands they seemed to spread out a little more . They still melee'd my flanks, but that's to be expected, afterall in the real WW1 they would cross no man's land to get into the enemy's trenches. But they stood and fought with rifles a lot more too in the center.

Not sure if you've done it, but if I remember right, setting their attack parameters for 'rear' to 0 helped a lot, because giving instructions to go for the rear gets them confused and had them bunch up on flanks. But by removing rear and just increasing flank just slightly higher than center attack they understood that a lot better, and would naturally attack from the rear once around the flank anyway.

But yeah, so far BAI is looking good if you use a map with plenty of space to accommodate the unit numbers nice job. fun battle that was!
    Yeah i used grassy flatlands to do all of my testing, that helped me figure out the formations were the problem. The fact that the AI stops and shoots at all is a HUGE improvement lol. Luckily most of the battlefields on the campaign map are pretty open and give alot of room for the AI to move around. One thing I found tho was the new deployment zones I made need to be tweaked to accommodate the BAI more.

Im going to tweak the settings more to try to resolve some of the others issues. Ill try changing the attack parameters like you said to reduce AI confusion on the flanks. Also I want to try changing the firing arcs to 180 forward and behind instead of 360 like they are now. I have a feeling this will reduce the units turning randomly during fire fights.

EDIT: Whats odd is the vanilla settings for kv rules are factor_attackdir_flankright =
    factor_attackdir_flankleft = 8 factor_attackdir_front = 0 factor_attackdir_rear = 18

Bran changed them to 9, 9, 1, 19, respectively.

Why would front attack be set so low?
    Last edited by B-DizL; April 30, 2019 at 03:18 PM.

Ha! I'd completely forgot about that. Yes, I found that very strange too I was convinced that's what confused AI. Because they'd zerg down the front and flanks getting bunched up trying to get to the rear I'm certain of it. Setting rear to 0 and the flanks slightly higher than center I'm sure I remembered it playing much more nicely.

Happy tweaking, since you don't seem to be getting much feedback from others feel free to post any small updates you need me to test BAI for you. It's the least I could do

In my mod (video demo) I figured out how to get blood and gore for cannons/artillery as well as muskets so if blood for artillery shots is something you're interested in adding at some point you're free to use the textures and landbattle.xml and tweak to your liking, lower blood particles for impact_cannon or it might look a bit funky on more modern ships as game uses same instructions for both ship and land artillery, on old ships it's okay because of the vast amount of crew onboard it makes sense. I was going for BAI/CAI too next but just got busy with university so abandoned it

Patrician

That would be awesome if you could help with the testing as I dont have alot of time during the week to do testing. What Ill do is PM you the newest BAI files once I get them updated this weekend. Im going to try to make some new formations along with the tweaks to the BAI settings because I have a theory on how to get the formations to work better.

Your mod looks interesting. I dont think we want to make any changes to the cannon impacts tho since i think we are using a modified version of the water splash thats used during naval battles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast