Thread: Historical Battles in old obscure movies, with links?

Vladyvid's Avatar Wizard of Turmish

Default Historical Battles in old obscure movies, with links?

Hi!

I was thinking, could it be possible to gather links to some battle scenes from historical movies from all over the world?

Im sure there are tons of old obscure historical movies that the international community, so to speak, is not aware of. Because how are you supposed to know what historical movies are made across the globe and stuff like that, and they could be fun thing to see i think. Then again, the whole movies would be probably super long, but if there are just the battle scenes that we could share, it would be great. Best if its not a holywood movie i think, as then it is mostly something unknown and that is the whole point. So i guess i want to say i hope for no scenes from Troy or Robin Hood movies, but im prepared for anything.

Can you guys post some links to whatever historical battle scenes you know? Preferably from the pre-Napoleonic era? Cause im sure weve all seen loads of movie battles from the Napoleonic era, American Civil War and so on. So i would hope for a period before 1800. That is what im proposing. Imagine watching battle scenes from countries you were not even sure existed, from wars you never heard of? That would be cool.

I could probably post more links, and i still can do that later, but now i dont know if this is a good idea so i will start with just this one:

All the copyrights belong to their respective authors and are not my property whatsoever ofcourse.

Battle of Grunwald/Tannenberg/Zalgiris 1410 from a 1960 polish movie "Krzyżacy" / "Teutons"
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

If you have the same battle, but from a different movie that is showing a different perspective, then please share it would be great to see!
    If you have other battle scenes from something completely different, please share aswell!

Can we put together something like a library of links to all those different battle scenes? I think that would be nice to have.
    Last edited by Vladyvid; April 25, 2019 at 11:39 AM.

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Icon1 Re: Historical Battles in old obscure movies, with links?

Communism at its best.

The Battle of Ongala (680)
    Khan Asparuh (1981)

Default Re: Historical Battles in old obscure movies, with links?

The yt-channel mustbefunny* has many of that: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxI...Y1-_QAW_XJMcoA

Here are two examples from the strange Portuguese movie Non, ou a Vă Gloria de Mandar (No, or the Vain Glory of Command) 1990

Last edited by Pinarius; April 26, 2019 at 01:29 PM.

Oh yeah guys, this is gold! Thats exactly what i had in mind, thank you!

You'll probably like these too:

The Battle on the Ice
    (1242) Alexander Nevsky (1938)

Battle starts at minute 55.

Battle of Kiev (1036) Yaroslav Mudry (1981)

Battle of the Golden Spurs (1302) De Leeuw van Vlaanderen (1985)

Great finds mate, thank you, cant rep you more right now!

Well, that is something new to me - anyone knows why the Flanders army kneels down to eat some grass before the battle? I understand its some kind of a ritual, but never seen it before. Do they like grass in the Netherlands?
    Last edited by Vladyvid; April 28, 2019 at 01:56 AM.

The original from 1838, goes like this:

'And then, as if impelled by a sudden and vehement inspiration, he stooped and took some earth from the ground. And then, placing it in his mouth, he raised his voice and cried:"By the beloved earth, which I will bear within me to the fight, this day will I either conquer or die". And the whole host in like manner stooped and swallowed each a little earth from the soil of their fatherland. '

No clue as to who came up with "Let's try grass instead, guys" though.