Thread: Which GPU to use for Roma Surrectum?

Default Which GPU to use for Roma Surrectum?

Hi all, just bought a new laptop and setting it up. It has two gpus: the Intel UHD 630 and an Nvidia GTX 1050Ti (4GB).

Is it ok to play RS3 with the Intel or is it better to use the Nvidia? I have been thinking since the game is quite old it can use the Intel and leave the Nvidia for the other demanding games.

I hope to hear some opinions .
    • “A reflective, contented mind is the best possession.” ...
    • “With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. ...
    • “Turn yourself not away from three best things: Good Thought, Good Word, and Good Deed.” ...
    • “Do not hold grain waiting for higher prices when people are hungry.”

All by Zoroaster.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Which GPU to use for Roma Surrectum?

I would assume the Intel UHD 630 is the onboard video? In any event, the NVidia would outperform it.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

The short answer is, sadly for you, neither.....

Dear old RTW doesn't know anything about separate GPUs (they didn't have such things when it was originally coded) and there are no software calls in the code to shunt the processing off to them. RTW simply uses the onboard graphics of the main CPU.

The only answer is a fast main chip and a basic graphics card that matches the bus-speed of the internal workings (such that there's nothing additional to slow things down).

It's why, for RTW/RS I have a separate old PC (currently dusty), re-built specifically for it alone. And why modern PCs (even the best gaming ones) don't help - especially ones with lower speed CPUs that are otherwise fine for everything else.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

When I use to use windows you could disable either of the integrated or dedicated GPUs and there are some tweaks you can do if you use a laptop such as forcing integrated to save battery life. As for Rome 1 if your intention is to disable the dedicated GPU you should be fine running Roma Surrectum on a UHD 630. I've played rome 1 mods with RS2 environments, etc on far worse while running steam play (linux) on a 2011 laptop with intel HD4000 and a worse CPU (I was running applications in the background while playing on a dual core laptop CPU).

Your CPU and integrated graphics should be fine enough, however if you feel that the performance is not good enough with maxed out settings, you can turn on your dedicated GPU. However keep in mind RS2 won't run as smoothly as compared to a game such as Total War Warhammer due to the old engine not being able to take advantage of modern hardware and also due to mods adding much more graphics and scripts, though with your hardware it is good enough to brute force through running RS2 (or RS3, I last played 2.5).
    炸鸡

Back in the day, any Nvidia based Graphics for some reason made RTW perform better.
    But again this was made in 2004, any card in todays standards will render it fine.
    I would avoid the Intel based one and just use the Nvidia.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Perhaps, except for unit size, the single biggest performance determinant in battles is grass view distance. I found the default of 50 to be optimal. You can bring FPS down to single digits with numbers like 200 for grass.