Thread: What is so special with ModDB, when Nexus also allow mods for all games?

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Default What is so special with ModDB, when Nexus also allow mods for all games?

I am curious of why the TW modding community on TWC always, for the majority of mods especially large mods, use ModDB as their primarily hosting site for TW mods.

Has any active TW modder consider Nexus as a suitable host for mods?

As far I know the max file size is not a problem on Nexus (max upload quota is 10 Gb, but it is required to send a PM to the admins about uploading anything larger than 7 Gb) and on top of that Nexus also offer some features no sites I'm aware of would offer in comparison to Nexus. The features that Nexus offers are as follows:

• Creating a mod page with a tag system for easier search
    • Bug tracker
    • Mod comments
    • Forum threads
    • Blocking troublesome users (note, do not abuse this feature too much)
    • Hide/Unhide a mod page
    • Report a mod comment
    • Virus scan (automatically)
    • Instant access once a mod page is published, unless the mod is reported and reviewed by Nexus staff

I may have miss a feature or two, but those features I listed is what I know that exist.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...pecial-Edition
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: What is so special with ModDB, when Nexus also allow mods for all games?

Though the comparison isn't direct, one could make parallels to why Steam as a platform is kicking TWC.

Part of the issue is accessibility and adaptation; Moddb lets you come in, get what you want and go no questions asked basically ever, whereas Nexus is a more roundabout path to getting the same endthat also makes you use an account if you want to get anything of substance. People don't want to make an account, people don't even want a forum when they either already have one (connection to TWC) or have a mod that simply doesn't need more than a comments section (the twc vs steam problem). They want to download/host a mod and get exposure. Nexus is very powerful in some games because it was an early part of said game's culture and its extra pieces were quickly deemed an acceptable step that then became part of the norm.

Moddb became a much broader part of the norm because it was both simple and complex enough to do the job well. Its reach is massive, outstripping the more specific scope of the Nexus. Most of the list you provide people can simply live without, and as for why, we look to why someone would have their main platform be TWC over Steam. They don't want/need those functions. They want reach and simplicity.

You know what a massive killer to Nexus's popularity is? It rears its head in the very link you give.

You find TWC, go great, that's it then, go to a download link, and then you get this message.

"What?! Screw this, I don't want to log in/sign up to download a map markers mod..."
    Last edited by Dismounted Feudal Knight; April 20, 2019 at 07:16 AM.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: What is so special with ModDB, when Nexus also allow mods for all games?

I am noob in that area and i may need to make some answers.
    Ussualy i upload my data in FileFactory, Mega or Depositfiles sites that can host large files that Mediafire has a spesific limitation of.
    In many countries though some of these uploading sites are not accesible.
    Is that where ModDB or Nexus come to fill this gap?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

This response is not what I expected, but I know why you cannot download a mod on Nexus and that has to do with their unique download system.

Which allow modders to gain access to the Mod Author's forum, it is hidden to anyone else, once a mod have reached 1000 unique downloads for a mod hence for not being able to download a mod for guests.

Another thing that Nexus now have is the donation points system, entirely optional, and I have not opt-in donation points for my mods there.

Also, if anyone wants to download my Skyrim Map Markers mod can do that on TWC Download.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    I am noob in that area and i may need to make some answers.
    Ussualy i upload my data in FileFactory, Mega or Depositfiles sites that can host large files that Mediafire has a spesific limitation of.
    In many countries though some of these uploading sites are not accesible.
    Is that where ModDB or Nexus come to fill this gap?
    Yes, I think so. I know there are a few active modders (can't tell how many though) from Asia on Nexus.
    Last edited by Leonardo; April 20, 2019 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Quoted post added.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    This response is not what I expected, but I know why you cannot download a mod on Nexus and that has to do with their unique download system.

Which allow modders to gain access to the Mod Author's forum, it is hidden to anyone else, once a mod have reached 1000 unique downloads for a mod hence for not being able to download a mod for guests.

Another thing that Nexus now have is the donation points system, entirely optional, and I have not opt-in donation points for my mods there.

Also, if anyone wants to download my Skyrim Map Markers mod can do that on TWC Download.
    The response is purely to explain why both hosts and why members prefer the simplicity offered on Moddb, and you've just given another point - the same authors don't necessarily need the Mod Author's forum, and thus there is truly no need to login restricting the downloads. It adds inconvenience to users and you have modders who simply don't need it, especially since, just with TWC in particular, you have a mod author platform more comprehensive and knowledgeable than anything Nexus will offer.

I am simply attempting to convey the essence of why people would defer to Moddb as the host over Nexus if we look at the issue beyond just exposure. Raw features does not grant a platform an instant win.

The Skyrim Map Markers comment was an addendum to the point on Nexus's usability. I don't particularly care where else it's hosted as I'm not talking about that mod as the main point.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    The response is purely to explain why both hosts and why members prefer the simplicity offered on Moddb, and you've just given another point - the same authors don't necessarily need the Mod Author's forum, and thus there is truly no need to login restricting the downloads.
    I don't think you understand the main purpose behind the Mod Author's forum and that's my fault for not explaining why. The main reason behind and thus the purpose of the Mod Author's forum is about having a private forum for a recognized modder to discuss modding related subjects such as how to attract mod users to download a mod or how to handle troublesome mod users who more than often post something like "Your mod make my game unplayable, please fix it. Thanks.".

How helpful is that, not much I tell you and you know what I've read similiar posts on TWC too.

But, as far I know, any modder who have access there are not forced to use it just because a modder can use it, if a modder wants to post there that is.

Like I said, it has to do with their unqiue download system on Nexus and in order to make that unique download system work, registration to download a mod is mandatory whether you like it or not. Besides I wouldn't be surprised if ModDB someday in the near future also require registration for guests before downloading a mod and that's something we all need to accept.

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    It adds inconvenience to users and you have modders who simply don't need it, especially since, just with TWC in particular, you have a mod author platform more comprehensive and knowledgeable than anything Nexus will offer.
    What "inconvenience to users" are you talking about? Could you elaborate that please?

I don't understand what mean by saying "you have modders who simply don't need it". What has that got to do with me, I don't have modders?

Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Let me be clear. None of this is that extra features aren't nice, or that the platform's quirks cannot be accommodated. I answer purely in the scope of answering the original question - "I am curious of why the TW modding community on TWC always, for the majority of mods especially large mods, use ModDB as their primarily hosting site for TW mods. ". I am answering based on the scope I perceive. Not for your specific case and not to say that Moddb is any better in many, most or every way. With that in mind,

I don't think you understand the main purpose behind the Mod Author's forum and that's my fault for not explaining why. The main reason behind and thus the purpose of the Mod Author's forum is about having a private forum for a recognized modder to discuss modding related subjects such as how to attract mod users to download a mod or how to handle troublesome mod users who more than often post something like "Your mod make my game unplayable, please fix it. Thanks.".
    That's nice, but again, that's not very relevant. A modding nexus already exists for the TWC modding community that they can strike up or participate in as they see fit, and such conversations can easily be had here. As a result, that feature does not excuse the sign in requirement's necessity in the scope of the Total War community.

But, as far I know, any modder who have access there are not forced to use it just because a modder can use it, if a modder wants to post there that is.
    The distinction is that you have features, and then you have features to the extent of affecting basic usability. Moddb doesn't have a great deal, and that makes everything easy to find and use. For the Total War community, the extras are here. Users simply want to download the mod. Most of what you mention simply does not matter. You've explained a case where extra features cuts into the basic usability by forcing people to log in to download, when their audience probably found the mod by internet (leading directly to moddb or on TWC) and likely have no interest in signing up for an extra account to get the mod. If they want information about the mod or direct support, they sign up here, as the primary housing of feedback. Thus, Nexus's offerings on this front are entirely redundant.

What "inconvenience to users" are you talking about? Could you elaborate that please?
    A less direct interface and particularly the need to log in. It may sound very simple, but the fact remains that people err towards the path of least resistance, and Moddb is more accommodating in that field. If Moddb changes later (I rather doubt it), things will change accordingly. However, the factors remain, and they stack with Moddb's exposure and reputation in the wider modding community.

What has that got to do with me, I don't have modders?
    We are not talking about you, and I cannot speak to what you would do in regards to modding. I can only speak for what I presume goes on in the general modding community until someone more relevant steps in to give their specific reasoning. Replace "you" with "there are" if that makes it simpler.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Leonardo, problem is possibly with number of pages, forums, apps with kinda similar function. Nexus is great for Skyrim for example but what if for example user wants to cover multiple games which are not all predominatnly on nexus? Iīm bad modder and Iīm following Steam workshop, TWC, reddit, multiple Discords especially for TWs. Nexus would be yet another page/apps/manager I have to use. Thatīs all. Nexus account is no less pain in ass than Steam account or any other, some are better in some features, others in different features..I think it depends on personal preferences and needs and games... but once Iīm predominantly used to steam, there is little wish to get another account for whatever. Steam, nexus, moddb if ever gets account system. All will be very similar. I would prefer single major page. But as historically different games have different majority on different platforms, it will probably not change in near future.....it is very same problem as having multiple gaming platforms in one pc like steam, origin, gog, blizzardīs one, many others..
    Last edited by Daruwind; April 20, 2019 at 10:24 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)