Thread: Playing once more

Morpethian's Avatar Laetus

Default Playing once more

I have previously argued that no one should buy this game. Having bought it, I found it hard to play as Mide on a moderate setting, and impossible to play any other faction on even the easy setting.

I have recently started playing it again, and am finding that occasionally I can make progress where opportunity is on my side, but it is still a game I would not recommend anyone to buy.

For those who think I am being unfair, please explain the following.

Playing as Dyfflin on a moderate setting, I start with Dublin and the Isle of Man. I am able early on to expand my territories to the north of Dublin, but even after that I still struggle to recruit a large army.

But when I play as Mide, Dyfflin can produce a large army pretty will from the offset. I can take the lands to the north of Dublin in the first two turns of play, thereby confining Dyfflin to their initial territories, but they can still muster a huge army early on.

I currently believe that this is because the game is engineered to stop me from winning, but I welcome alternative explanations.

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Playing once more

Game balance can be an issue if your not used to the game engine.

I suggest trying a mod overhaul like "Radious", it balances the game for the player and the campaign becomes much more enjoyable.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    Game balance can be an issue if your not used to the game engine.
    So how do I become used to the game engine?

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Learn to marshal your resources and play conservatively until you can grow enough to expand. Easy to say but harder with some factions than others.

With Dyfflin you have to start a blitz campaign before you get steamrolled from the north. Ally or absorb your fellow Viking factions. etc.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Morpethian View Post
    ...and impossible to play any other faction on even the easy setting.
    oh come on..finished already all faction on hard, very hard and I just finished Legenday with West Seaxe. For once, AI is not able to quickly spam multiple stacks of units. If you beat AI in a few battles, the faction needs time to replenished unit pool...you just have to be smart as with any legendary in any TW. Sure at very beginning it can recruit as hell but difference from othet TW is, AI will be unable to do it forever.. And lower difficulties? Piece of cake..at least for me, but I cannot play multiplayer cause I suck in it a lot.

With proper playing, you can always beat army of similar size. If you are good, you can beat even bigger odds. Some factions are harder, some needs special treatment like quick expansion without backup, some on other hand slow approach..But i hardly accept that all factions are impossible...

Try West Seaxe, lower difficulty, you are able to muster full 20 stack pretty quickly, have good economy. Lot of vassals covering your sides...lower diplomacy difficulty if needs be but this is one of the easiest TW around. Learn the game with easier factions then move on harder ones.
    Last edited by Daruwind; April 19, 2019 at 06:08 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    oh come on..
    Stop being pompous. I have tried playing Wessex on easy, and was not able to recruit a full stack early on. I did however have a huge Viking army land on my shores.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpethian View Post
    Stop being pompous. I have tried playing Wessex on easy, and was not able to recruit a full stack early on. I did however have a huge Viking army land on my shores.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

When did you try? Why you need full stack at very beginning? You do not...for beginning 10-15 unit is enough even for taking another major city in siege.

Above in spoiler are screenshots from 1 turn from Easy from West Seaxe. You start with 2 armies with 5 and 6 units. You can recruit cca 13 more units just from very beginning. Only problem is food but if your goal is having single stack, you are able to do so almost from first turn! Definitely you can have 10-15 from very beggining. With your vassals around and number of your regions, you are well able to start your economy from beginning and at the same time recruit units....

I my recent campaign I had around 5 smaller one stack invasion during game. I needed single stack to deal with them and my vassals were happy all the time.

Viking endgame invasion was happening by turn 150-170. They were landing on my soil by time as I was finishing remains of Northymbre and had 6-8 stacks around whole England..2/3 stacks were enough to deal with each of those three waves, each of those were around 6-8 enemy almost full stacks.

EDIT: the early Viking invasion sounds like older build, it was fixed. I haven´t see it long time now...or even those minor invasion are problem?
    Last edited by Daruwind; April 24, 2019 at 03:09 PM.

Im just on a campaign with Dyffling in Very Hard campaing, hard politics normal battle settings. The trick for me was to build just food chain stuff at the beginning. Then not entering at war with other factions in the island (except for the first one that controls two of your provinces), then just started to raid with a little army all coastal cities I can find, used the money for main settlement buildings. I must say I failed the first try. But in the second I managed to do this. Then I started to colonize the coast of the main island. I can say it is a lot of fun for now. And Im waiting for some mods to release that looks promising like Shield Wall (using Crucible of Kings for now ! )

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

I find battles pretty simple but play defensively for the most part, putting my armies in positions to tempt them to attack me, when in doubt find a natural chokepoint or line your army up in a corner and force them to charge into your massed wall of shieldcastles, archers and javelins behind, catapults behind them, spears on the flanks.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    Learn to marshal your resources and play conservatively until you can grow enough to expand. Easy to say but harder with some factions than others.
    Yep, that's always what I do when playing a campaign in any TW game, not only in ToB as I haven't play it much.

So, what did I do, I did what VZ said I learned how to get the best profit from the resources I got from the beginning before thinking about expanding.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

I would say, best defence is offence. In ToB, there is in general low number of armies. So striking first and destroying enemy army in pre-emptive strike is good way. Enemy will fall back, require usually a few turns to muster new army, which is starting at low strength...meanwhile plan your movement carefully to occupy towns..thus replenishing your army quickly.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Daruwind View Post
    I would say, best defence is offence. In ToB, there is in general low number of armies. So striking first and destroying enemy army in pre-emptive strike is good way. Enemy will fall back, require usually a few turns to muster new army, which is starting at low strength...meanwhile plan your movement carefully to occupy towns..thus replenishing your army quickly.
    Yes. Exactly that happen to me in my first campaign in ToB, but I was lucky the enemy didn't retreated too far and I was able to destroy the enemy in a second battle.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

I'm still trying to find the mental energy to reinstall it...

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    I'm still trying to find the mental energy to reinstall it...
    I doubt I'll every find this energy for myself. Unless the Shieldwall team make a dramatic change to the estates and other strategy elements.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I doubt I'll every find this energy for myself. Unless the Shieldwall team make a dramatic change to the estates and other strategy elements.
    Yeah, I'll probably do it just to check that mod. It looks very promising! Let's hope the best for it!

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Well you may find this a challenging campaign https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=2156063756