Additional credits:
    --------------------
    Macsen Rufus - Various help & restoration 2019
    Tosa Inu - Various help & QA

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Install Instructions:

Quote Originally Posted by Macsen Rufus
    To install, you will need your good clean copy of MTW VI v2.01 etc. Unzip the mod into the main directory as usual (or to be safe, usea temporary folder and then copy-paste into the MTW folder). Find the batch file - I've called it DarkAgeFix.bat - in the directory, and double-click to run it. You'll see a DOS window pop up to tell you it's copying a load of files. Once you've done this you should have a working copy of Count's Dark Age.

Dark Age Mod 1.2
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/down...o=file&id=4428

Mad March Hares-file
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/down...o=file&id=4429

Original post: (In spoiler)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I saw that there was a Dark Ages mod, but it's pretty much broken now that MTW is on steam and it's on 1.13 (as opposed to the mod, which I think is still stuck on 1.11?). Was wondering if anyone had created a mod like that.

Here's the mod in question.
    Last edited by Axalon; May 05, 2019 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Update, info & links...

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: Dark Ages Mod?

Hi Thomas,

I have now alerted the creator of this mod, and hopefully he will show up here and provide us with further info on the matter, in regards to both the problems starting it and otherwise. I have also tried starting the mod myself, but so far without success - so I can't offer much solid help for you at this point either.

- A

Oh wow, a blast from the past - Yes, I recall making that mod, but the last time I had it running was probably 2008, around 3 or 4 computers ago. I didn't save it anywhere else, unfortunately, so if the download is broken I don't have a backup (unless, miraculously, I can find the machine it was on and start it that way).

I *may* be able to fire up one of my old rigs and see if I can get it working, but I don't hold out much hope.

Thanks for getting in touch, Axalon. I wish I had kept up with the mod, but it was a rather small project that I didn't expect anyone would be interested in. Someone with the know-how could re-create it better and faster than I did, I'm sure; it was all vanilla assets, mostly using the units from the VI campaign. IIRC I used Spanish Jinetes for a Celtic jav-cav unit for the Strathclyders, and some of the MTW Slav units also made an appearance for the other Celtic factions, but that was about as clever as it got.

Edit: Yeah, that .org post has all the units listed.

As for version, I would assume I used the most current version of MTW:VI, whatever that was in 2007/2008.
    Last edited by CountMRVHS; April 22, 2019 at 05:02 PM.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

ThomasHerennius's Avatar Foederatus

Wow! I'm a beginner at modding, and atm I'm pretty rusty at creating new units (even if they're just from vanilla files- BIF pixel editing looks really scary haha)- so I might try and restore it. Of course, don't feel obligated to try and restore your mod if you don't wish to, but hey, if you want to, that'd be awesome (and I'd love to work alongside you if you're willing lol.)

Libertus

Hey folks,

I have the mod installed and recently played it as the Jutes... I even have the installer (ZIP file):

### Go to post #8 for latest version and instructions ###

It's only 3 and a bit megs, but makes a big difference in gameplay

Enjoy
    Last edited by Macsen Rufus; May 04, 2019 at 07:10 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Hi Macsen, we need a few more things from you to get this mod rolling...

You either need to patch and re-pack it (the mod) with the unit-files that are currently missing in that upload (and are actively preventing me from starting the mod!) OR you post up a clear enough description on how and where that "Darkage-FixUnits.bat"-file is to be practically applied (since you actually know that stuff, right? After all, you did manage to start the game). Your decide, either one will do fine... Otherwise people will not be able to start the mod, and the entire point is kind of lost here...

- A

Libertus

Heh, I installed it over a decade ago.... I don't recall anything being missing, or anything about a batch file. I'll have to take a look at it see if I can figure out any problems.....

ETA: ok, I looked And having gone to the Org thread I'm amazed how much I'd forgotten doing. I'll need to look over the batch files I have, and make sure I have everything. When I do, I'll post them here.
    Last edited by Macsen Rufus; May 04, 2019 at 06:28 PM.

Libertus

It all seems to be included into the combined version Tosa put up in post 77 of the Org thread, so I've taken that version. The forum won't allow me to attach a .bat so here's a new zip with the .bat file included. To install, you will need your good clean copy of MTW VI v2.01 etc etc, unzip the mod into the main directory as usual (or to be safe, use a temporary folder and then copy-paste into the MTW folder). Find the batch file - I've called it DarkAgeFix.bat - in the directory, and double-click to run it. You'll see a DOS window pop up to tell you it's copying a load of files. Once you've done this you should have a working copy of Count's Dark Age.

DarkAge_with_fix.zip

ETA: and anyone wanting the Mad March Hares after reading the old Org thread will need this version of the unit_prod:

DRKVIKINGS_UNIT_PROD.TXT
    Last edited by Macsen Rufus; May 05, 2019 at 07:31 AM.

Default Re: Dark Ages Mod - Restored!

I thank you Macsen, on behalf of the TWC and the MTW-crowd here. The Dark Age Mod is restored and ready for service indefinitely - as I have uploaded the files directly to the TWC-archives to ensure just that. Obviously, all this would not be possible if it had not been for your assistance, efforts and help here. Again, thanks man - and everybody who feels the same way should hand him some rep for a job well done, starting with me...

Thread renamed, updated & first post reworked!

- A

Wow, amazing - I am completely floored!

Macsen, Axalon - thank you for your work on this, and ThomasHerennius, thank you for your interest and getting this ball rolling! I honestly didn't think I'd get to see the old project again, but now I have some downloading to do
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Libertus

Glad to be of service for the comoooonity

I just had to go and play another Romano-British campaign (just to test the new re-install, of course). Some touch and go moments in the early years, five of my seven neighbours had attacked me in the first couple of decades, but I eventually beat them back, and this Artorius chappie helped out quite a bit towards the end With a long list of valour-related virtues he was up to v15 at one point. The other side never knew what hit them

Quote Originally Posted by Macsen Rufus View Post
    Glad to be of service for the comoooonity

I just had to go and play another Romano-British campaign (just to test the new re-install, of course). Some touch and go moments in the early years, five of my seven neighbours had attacked me in the first couple of decades, but I eventually beat them back, and this Artorius chappie helped out quite a bit towards the end With a long list of valour-related virtues he was up to v15 at one point. The other side never knew what hit them
    Holy crap, I can't believe you brought it back! Yeet! You /know/ I'm gonna install this ASAP!! Thanks a ton!!

I noticed you're using old text files from the Fall of Rome mod. Are you planning on adding the textures from there?

Nope! I just installed the units wrong! My bad! Everything's fine lmao.

Both Chrome and firefox are blocking download of the mod. They're convinced there is malware attached