Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notre-Dame de Paris is on fire and burning to the ground

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Icon4 Notre-Dame de Paris is on fire and burning to the ground

Anyone paying attention to the news at all? I don't think this belongs in the Mudpit, but we have to talk about it somewhere. It's just awful. The cathedral has been standing there since the 12th century AD, a place where the kings of France (and some of England) were crowned and where Napoleon Bonaparte's coronation as emperor took place in 1804. The entire central spire has already collapsed due to the fire. Hopefully the bell towers and other stone elements like the buttresses can be saved from destruction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_N..._de_Paris_fire

It's just devastating. Glad I was able to see it and go inside as a visitor a few years ago.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Notre-Dame de Paris is on fire and burning to the ground

4 churches including the Lady have been set on fire in 2 months and more have been attacked recently. I wonder is this a pattern.

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attac...statue-1370800

https://twitter.com/PardesSeleh/stat...457725952?s=20
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

My heart-felt sympathies to any Parisians and French citizens here on the TWC, this is devastating news!
    I was lucky enough to see in person when I was a teenager, but not so much that I was able to go inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    4 churches including the Lady have been set on fire in 2 months and more have been attacked recently. I wonder is this a pattern.

https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attac...statue-1370800

https://twitter.com/PardesSeleh/stat...457725952?s=20
    I think they are unrelated to recent acts of arson. News outlets are saying that it was related to the renovation and construction work they were doing on the spire, after having temporarily removed the bronze sculptures from it (thank God). You can still see the giant scaffolding work of the construction crews over the church as it burns. It was probably some dumb welder who made a terrible mistake.

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

The cause of the fire isn't established yet, but the damage to the roof structure is very extensive. A terrible sight and one many people, French or not, will be very upset to see.

Apparently though the structure has been crumbling through years of neglect and was in danger of collapse anyway without urgent repairs. Quite why it got to this state is a disgrace given the amount of visitors it receives as well as being an iconic building of the Nation's capitol. Perhaps through this horrendous event, its might galvanise the French government more to help its restoration instead of depending on foreign contributions.

The Notre-Dame Cathedral is falling apart — and the U.S. is fixing it
    By Margot Tiounine Aug 6, 2018
    https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/...s-is-fixing-it

The Notre-Dame de Paris survived 850 years of war and revolution to become the second-most visited site in France after the Eiffel Tower. But bureaucratic inefficiency may pose the most existential threat yet toward the now-crumbling building.
    The current conditions are the result of decades of neglect and decay, due in part to an awkward arrangement between church and state, making it unclear who bears responsibility for the building's upkeep.
    Now the monument, which welcomes over 12 million visitors each year, needs an urgent structural overhaul that could cost more than $185 million. And with no one in France leading the charge to raise it, the Archdiocese of Paris has turned towards an old ally: the United States.

“The condition of the cathedral, especially under the effect of pollution in the last decades, has strongly deteriorated,” said Michel Picaud, a Parisian-born engineer and archaeologist who is leading the fundraiser. “We have decided to finance this program of restoration with private funds."
    Part of that effort includes the formation of two foundations, one in France and one in the U.S., where more than two thousand donors have already contributed about a quarter of the $185 million goal.

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    The cause of the fire isn't established yet, but the damage to the roof structure is very extensive. A terrible sight and one many people, French or not, will be very upset to see.

Apparently though the structure has been crumbling through years of neglect and was in danger of collapse anyway without urgent repairs. Quite why it got to this state is a disgrace given the amount of visitors it receives as well as being an iconic building of the Nation's capitol. Perhaps through this horrendous event, its might galvanise the French government more to help its restoration instead of depending on foreign contributions.
    Yeah, that was not a very good situation beforehand, but I think this event will at the very least spur enormous donations for reconstruction and renovations.

The one saving grace out of this travesty will be that much of the original medieval masonry and stone edifice will still survive, including the bell towers, large segments of the walls, and flying buttresses. There is a danger, though, that exposing them to too much water could cause the stone to crack and then crumble, collapsing the structures. That's why you didn't see them air-dropping water from helicopters like you would in a forest fire.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

That's why you didn't see them air-dropping water from helicopters like you would in a forest fire.
    Was only the stupid idea of the new, self declared Fire Department Chief of the US...

My thoughts and best wishes are with the people of France.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; April 15, 2019 at 03:52 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Yeah, that was not a very good situation beforehand, but I think this event will at the very least spur enormous donations for reconstruction and renovations.

The one saving grace out of this travesty will be that much of the original medieval masonry and stone edifice will still survive, including the bell towers, large segments of the walls, and flying buttresses. There is a danger, though, that exposing them to too much water could cause the stone to crack and then crumble, collapsing the structures. That's why you didn't see them air-dropping water from helicopters like you would in a forest fire.
    Wondered why water was not being dropped from above.

I'm sure this building will be rebuilt. Yes, so much of the original fabric of the building is destroyed, which is sickening, but it will be rebuilt as it was. However it will cost many millions and be an immense project that could take decades. The artifacts, art and stained glass windows that have probably been destroyed are gone forever though, very, very sad Reports I'm hearing, say that fire chiefs believe the whole structure of the building could be in danger of collapse because the fire is still spreading.

Seemingly when the fire broke out, Macron had been due to address the Fench nation on measures prompted by Yellow Jacket protests.
    Last edited by caratacus; April 15, 2019 at 03:44 PM.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

This is very sad, as a kid the thing that made me aware of Notre Dame was Victor Hugo's the Hunchback of Notre Dame and then an old movie with Charles Laughton (1939)

I hope it can be rebuilt to its former glory!

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Reports coming in that the structure of the building has probably been saved by firefighters which is a blessing, although the spire has already collapsed. A firefighter has also been hurt. Shocking scenes.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Damn, i'm saddened by this, i remember me walking in the Notre Dame
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I’ve heard that they saved the artworks and relics, so that at least is small consolation.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

And that's why you don't lock a dimwit inside a cathedral.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Another piece of what remains of old Europe's corpse, has been lost forever ..

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Water was not being sent from airplanes due to possible structural damage the water would create.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Another piece of what remains of old Europe's corpse, has been lost forever ..
    Let's not pretend this hasn't happened before - the spire that collapsed was actually from the mid-19th century, made by Viollet Le Duc, not from the original one made in 1200. Most buildings have to have at least something replaced during it's lifetime.

This is a tragedy, and luckily the collapse has been averted, but it happened to many other landmarks and it can be renovated / rebuilt back to it's former glory.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Senator

@Basileos Leandros I: Thank you for explaining!

Current Status is, that the fire was happened because of the repair works.... You can savely assume that the person who fuc**** that up is now running as far as he can.
    Money for the rebuild won`t be a problem, there are already pledges into the millions.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

I was shocked by the pictures last evening by the firemen of Paris did apparantly a great job yesterday by saving the two towers and many artifacts from the interior. So many thanks and congrats to them

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Fortunately, all of the famous stained glass windows - including the Rose Window - are intact!

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast