Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's EB team opinion on Imperator: Rome

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: What's EB team opinion on Imperator: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Dooz View Post
    EB artwork meaning... Art that was specifically created by EB team members for the EB mod? If so, that's insane... Like, legally, lol
    Yep, those are all EB assets used without permission. Gustave hand painted each texture.

Here's a Facebook post of the picture from 2014 (as seen in the date), way before Imperator Rome came out! Just for absolute evidence.
    https://www.facebook.com/europabarba...type=3&theater
    Last edited by z3n; May 01, 2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: fb post I remembered
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Is it possible Gustave gave them permission?
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytaninc View Post
    Is it possible Gustave gave them permission?
    No. Nazgool or Tux created the models (not sure which), so he would have had to ask them and the team since they're EB assets. Paullus or another historian came up with the actual concept of the units of course, creating sources and figuring out the history behind them.

We make a point of discussing it internally before granting permission even to free mods. I can't recall ever granting permission to a business for that matter.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

20ninescene's Avatar Artifex

You could ask them to pay royalties to the EB team AND/OR to give all the EB developers the game + all DLC's for free

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

The game is pretty much meh... No diarchies, plus Antingonid Empire being named Phrygia, abomination.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

I can write in this thread... I didn't know I'm a EB developer. (I think it should be closed thread or interview styled)
    Speaking serious now, I'm playing I:R and I'm enjoying it and I'm looking in the future with high hopes.
    I know that paradox have a ton-of-dlc-policy, but, they gave people mod tools (so Phrygia name can be changed) and they are listening the community.
    I also like EB.
    I:R is grand strategy game and Total War isn't and a contrario, so, the positives and negatives for both sides are not comparable.
    There, I've said it. I write my opinion because this is functionality of the forum. I'm not interested in rising forum wars.
    Last edited by Demon Soul; May 08, 2019 at 01:41 PM.

"najłatwiej i najpiękniej nie gnębić drugich, ale samemu nad sobą pracować, żeby być możliwie jak najlepszym" Sokrates

Campidoctor

I'm sorry, but I have to declare war on you now. En garde!

I agree with what appears to be the majority view. It's a boring game at present and it will be improved with expansions and DLC's. I also agree that it has one of the worst soundtracks I've ever heard since Total War: Rome 2. It's one of those boring soundtracks where the tracks are so god damn boring and ill fitting for the period being portrayed that you can never remember what the music sounds like no matter how hard you try.

I can't agree on the hate for Paradox's DLC policy though. Yeah, their games end up with $300 worth of DLC and expansions after 6 years, but grand strategy games are a niche and the people who play those games are generally happy to pay (just like those train simulator games where people pay thousands for new trains and whatnot). Plus, Paradox games are (in theory) designed to be played for many thousands of hours over many years or even decades. Take CK2 for example. How much does all the DLC and expansions cost? Probably $200-$300 by now. I've bought them all. How many hours have I played the game for? 2,000 hours. It works out at a couple of cents per hour of fun for me. It's well worth it. Today I spent £6 on a meal that gave me less than 10 minutes of fun. CK2, by comparison, is a hell of a deal.

Know what I'm sayin'?

Speaking of soundtracks, the EBII one is so very good. I love the authenticity of it. Even those ear-splitting Parthian horns are a great addition, they really draw me into the harsh and unpleasant reality of being in a battle. One of the Hellenic campaign themes - the reed/wind instrument one - is also super cool, I can practically hear it right now.

But back on topic, it's kind of shocking how quickly the community turned on Imperator: Rome, it even has a Mostly Negative rating on Steam. Really glad my "absolutely no pre-orders, ever" policy paid off. I'll pick it up in a few years for like a fiver and see if it's any good then... even if it's not, I like grand strategy games enough that I'll probably sink a few hundred hours into it. Especially with mods.

Campidoctor

There are seasonal and other big Steam sales where you can get these paradox games and big bundles of dlc's for far less, often just the price of a regular game at around $60 if I recall correctly.

The only thing I think Creative Assembly could learn from this game is in making a quite frankly brighter physical map. Rome 2 is so brown, Warhammer is so gray. Imperator's farmland looks great.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Rosbjerg's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Baharr View Post
    Speaking of soundtracks, the EBII one is so very good. I love the authenticity of it.
    Wish I felt like that, me and some friends are playing hotseat and we've had to install a music submod because none of us can't stand any of the music. It is authentic, but I feel like the quality is a little all over the place.

Love live concerts like that though, but maybe there's something about the range when coming out of speakers or headphones that just doesn't work for us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123