Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's EB team opinion on Imperator: Rome

Default Re: What's EB team opinion on Imperator: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Sidh View Post
    I know EBII is still under development but what are the chances of EB mod for Imperator in the future? Or would the lack of 3D battles make the game not interesting for EB team/EB players?
    Speaking only for myself, nil. The prospect of learning and entirely new engine, for a game I've never played, doesn't appeal.

Quick first impressions:
    Great map graphics, really bad soundtrack (worst paradox yet imo), bad nation banners and flags (all of the celtic and germanic ones are terrible and not fitting at all to the time period IMO). And Phrygia, Egypt, Thrace should be Antigonid Kingdom, Ptolemaic (or Lagid) Kingdom, and Lysimachid Kingdom. Certainly in a while there'll probably be mods for all of that.. but still. Game seems really shallow compared to Victoria 2.

I spent some 30 min trying out as Rhodes to get the hang of it. All it did was make me want to play a new EB2 campaign as an hellenistic kingdom, think i'll go for Seleucids this time, never played as them anyway in EB1 or 2.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    I spent some 30 min trying out as Rhodes to get the hang of it. All it did was make me want to play a new EB2 campaign as an hellenistic kingdom, think i'll go for Seleucids this time, never played as them anyway in EB1 or 2.
    May your phalanx be unbending and your will its equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    Quick first impressions:
    And Phrygia, Egypt, Thrace should be Antigonid Kingdom, Ptolemaic (or Lagid) Kingdom, and Lysimachid Kingdom. Certainly in a while there'll probably be mods for all of that..
    Seriously when I saw Phrygia it made me think about Phyrexia from Magic the Gathering; it took me a few moments before realizing it was Antigonids...

I played about 3 hours of Imperator then submitted a refund request with steam. I was optimistic, the map is lovely, but the game is just completely vapid. Bare bones paint the map conquest game that leaves you bored to tears between wars. The wars aren't even that exciting either, but at least you're doing something. EB is vastly superior and its free.

I also take issue to this DLC attitude that Paradox has developed for awhile. People are saying "Oh they will fix it with DLC! This is just a basic game, remember EU4 and HOI4!" Well here's the thing. I'm not paying $220 in 2 years for a finished game, I'm paying $45 now for a finished game. Congrats, you bought a game engine, with the express understanding that Paradox is going to leech money from you until its actually completed.

/rant

postm00v's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by KoldPhire View Post
    I played about 3 hours of Imperator then submitted a refund request with steam. I was optimistic, the map is lovely, but the game is just completely vapid. Bare bones paint the map conquest game that leaves you bored to tears between wars. The wars aren't even that exciting either, but at least you're doing something. EB is vastly superior and its free.

I also take issue to this DLC attitude that Paradox has developed for awhile. People are saying "Oh they will fix it with DLC! This is just a basic game, remember EU4 and HOI4!" Well here's the thing. I'm not paying $220 in 2 years for a finished game, I'm paying $45 now for a finished game. Congrats, you bought a game engine, with the express understanding that Paradox is going to leech money from you until its actually completed.

/rant
    This is exactly how I feel. I went on the Paradox forums to check the reception of Imperator. It's quite a mixed bag. I see a lot op people justifying a bare bones game, 'because PDX will improve it with DLC'.

Paradox's DLC policies are terrible but it's never stopped their fans so they'd be stupid to change them. As it would also be stupid for me to buy them. Also I think they're too complex and gamey at the same time.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Ah, that's a shame. Oh well, I was always gonna get Imperator on sale anyway... one day, haha.

The DLC thing is imo a mixed bag. On the one hand, Paradox never stop developing their games so you're always getting free updates and fixes and new content, some of it very major and impressive. On the other hand - who wants to pay extra money every few months to "embellish" a game they already paid full price for?

I think there's a good way and a bad way to do these DLCs. EU4 I think is the poster child of the bad way - it's a game that can feel frustratingly empty and hollow if you don't pick up the right DLCs, with obviously missing features in the base version. Stellaris is imo an example of the good way - all the "core" mechanics arrive in the free patches and DLCs mostly add fluff and flavour.

Having said all that there's always sales, older Paradox DLCs tend to receive very dramatic discounts. I own (to my shame, lol) every single EU4 DLC, I've sunk about 800 hours into the game, and it ended up costing me about £80 total over the years.

I only have CKII and got that for free on a steam sale x) Still, while I'm impressed by the fact that paradox kept updating it, the fact that a huge amount of content for that game is hidden behind DLCs is just lame...

I mean if you look at the EUIV Dev diaries they show off all these interesting, if perhaps unnecessary and gamey, mechanics and interfaces.

Then you scroll down to the free features section and there's a stripped down version of these. Oh, and they make the game harder but without the ability to properly deal with them.

Finally there's just the sheer quantity of them, and past a certain point Paradox should take a cue from MMOs and patch the older ones into the base game.

Paradox's isn't a model I'm interested in and I suspect it will be in Imperator: Rome to some degree.

In closing, I will just stick to Total War games. If I want a qausi-plausible alternate history experience in the Roman era I'll stick to Europa Barbarorum or Divide et Impera.
    Last edited by Slaytaninc; April 26, 2019 at 05:44 PM.
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Baharr View Post
    The DLC thing is imo a mixed bag. On the one hand, Paradox never stop developing their games so you're always getting free updates and fixes and new content, some of it very major and impressive. On the other hand - who wants to pay extra money every few months to "embellish" a game they already paid full price for?
    Well, this is a business model. If we want to have more advanced game, we need to pay for it. In the TW sphere you may have miracles like EBII or TATW or DEI but just have a look at the ATW and ToB situation - no mods beyond basic stuff (despite bright ideas ;-) and no reasons to play it more (and the ToB has also been dumbed down).

I think that the strategic depth of the Paradox games is unmatched by the TW games. I may play the TW only because guys like Quintus Sertorius or Dresden or Ngugi exist. Otherwise I'd drop it because both gameplay and historicity is weak in the TW. Just try to play M2TW without mods...

On the other hand, the battle system of the EUIV is so broken that I cannot play it either ;-). I hope the IR will be better, to be seen.

Genava's Avatar Senator

The policy of Paradox on its forum made me took the decision to never give them my money.
    https://imgur.com/a/7tuoGzS
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Quote Originally Posted by Genava View Post
    The policy of Paradox on its forum made me took the decision to never give them my money.
    https://imgur.com/a/7tuoGzS
    true, though i dont think its necessary to play. this was the first game i actually pre-ordered, silly me, but with a discount and with the Epirus bonus pack. was quite excited for this game tbh, my favourite period covered - Diadochi wars - starts few years before Ipsos: Antigonos, Lysimachus et al still around. the only issue that i see atm is the 'Phrygia, Egypt, Thrace' inaccuracies. fingers crossed they'll fix that at some point, a patch is due next week. last Paradox i played was EU: Rome, about a decade ago, so still earning the mechanics etc. that said, started recording some noob letsplays with Thebes.

now this is massive, i love Field of Glory. with campaign added in this is going to be epic! thanks for sharing, placed on the wish list.

I'd like to have an opinion on Imperator Rome, but apparently they don't support my Graphics card. Never thought I'd see the day that my computer could run Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2, but didn't have enough graphical oomph to play the latest Paradox Spreadsheet Simulator. CPU I'd totally get, but GRAPHICS?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dargaron View Post
    I'd like to have an opinion on Imperator Rome, but apparently they don't support my Graphics card. Never thought I'd see the day that my computer could run Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2, but didn't have enough graphical oomph to play the latest Paradox Spreadsheet Simulator. CPU I'd totally get, but GRAPHICS?!
    very odd indeed. im on 5yo gtx 970 running on 1440p and it runs fine. are you on AMD? for what its worth, the map is very pretty. here is a review.

Nope. I'm using an Intel. But according to a mod in the relevant Tech Support thread, you need Nvidia or AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargaron View Post
    Nope. I'm using an Intel. But according to a mod in the relevant Tech Support thread, you need Nvidia or AMD.
    i see. they normally support/sale their games for years after release, so a fix is likely in the future, hopefully.

my attempt to get a campaign going: https://youtu.be/2g7yh6QYGSg

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Want to play where's waldo with EB concepts in games?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Imperator Rome:

EB Concept and artwork:
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Campidoctor

EB artwork meaning... Art that was specifically created by EB team members for the EB mod? If so, that's insane... Like, legally, lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast