Thread: Purchasing a new desktop computer- looking for graphics performance

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Purchasing a new desktop computer- looking for graphics performance

I am in the market for a new desktop, and I am particularly interested in a rig that could perform at a high level while gaming or editing videos, etc. Any suggestions? PC no Mac.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Purchasing a new desktop computer- looking for graphics performance

High level? Is there a specific budget?
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    High level? Is there a specific budget?
    Lets say 2000 USD.

​​

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Moderator Emeritus

I forgot to ask -- are you looking to build it on your own or assembled? Sounds like you wouldn't mind it assembled but I shouldn't make assumptions.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Blog Entries

I forgot to ask -- are you looking to build it on your own or assembled? Sounds like you wouldn't mind it assembled but I shouldn't make assumptions.
    I would say by a good unit and upgrade parts as need. I know my way around a PC and changing out hard drives, graphics cards and memory is not an issue.

I dont want to overpay for some fancy rig I think I can assemble/add to - a decent unit with starting with a good processor and base memory, hard drives.

Obviously I want at least one SSD at this point as well. Im not sure about graphics cards I have had some mixed luck in the past.

In the past I have had HP and Dell computers with good long term results.

​​

The House of Baltar

Moderator Emeritus

Ok, here's a start:

8700k (h60 liquid cooler, imo zen 2 looks very promising compared to 8700k/9900k but it's not out yet)
    RTX 2080 (ti costs $400 more approximately)
    Intel 660p 1tb (wasn't sure if you wanted just 1 SSD to start or more)
    16gb ram
    ASRock Z390 (wifi, not sure if you need that)
    600 watt Thermaltake PSU (gold, may want to upgrade it slightly to 800watts, I should check)

You can modify it using this link.
    belatedly redacted and sent via private message

Total price atm without taxes is $1800. They will build it for you BTW, with cable management and everything.
    Last edited by z3n; April 15, 2019 at 05:11 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Blog Entries

These setups look promising. I am researching SSD drives now, I will probably have a 512GB SSD ads my primary and then as a secondary as well. I want 32GB RAM but with WIndows 10 professional you can theoretically have 2TB of RAM? Not sure how that would work in terms of hardware. Perhaps use an SSD drive for RAM?

​​

The House of Baltar

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

While SSD's are fast, they are nowhere near RAM in both speed and use. 32 GB of RAM is more than enough for most enthusiast level editing and the like. SSD's are permanent storage, which doesn't go away after your computer shuts down. RAM does, it helps you remember what you're doing, such as which tabs you have open. The two do not mix well
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Blog Entries

2 TB of RAM is alot, and I wonder where the hardware would be. Are there chips that large or are they adding them onto an internal card or something? Back in the day we could configure "RAM drives", virtual drives within the RAM memory, I wonder if that could be done for RAM on the SSD drive (turning SSD into RAM). That would be something like the "ReadyBoost", you can configure now on external drives in Windows.

​​

The House of Baltar

Moderator Emeritus

Intel is attempting to do that using optane as ram, not sure it will actually work. You can use a normal add but they're still pretty slow compared to ram.

What would you need above 32 or 64 for?
    The AI Workshop Creator

Blog Entries

Intel is attempting to do that using optane as ram, not sure it will actually work. You can use a normal add but they're still pretty slow compared to ram.

What would you need above 32 or 64 for?
    That was my question and why I mentioned using a "RAM Drive". If we are loading programs into a memory system like that I dont think under most circumstances I would use anything close to 2TB.

​​

The House of Baltar

Moderator Emeritus

You can take a look at this. If I remember correctly they are already close or releasing dimms like that.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/361480/in...h-optane-dimms

Only data servers really need that much ram though.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Blog Entries

You can take a look at this. If I remember correctly they are already close or releasing dimms like that.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/361480/in...h-optane-dimms

Only data servers really need that much ram though.
    Ok, 4x 512GB optane would get you to 2 TB. Sounds doable. Could be fun.

​​

The House of Baltar

Moderator Emeritus

Something to keep in mind is only server cpus support large amounts of RAM (e.g. 768gb). Normal consumer grade ones only use around 128gb max.

Also fair warning, I think only newest server chips (xeon) support intel optane dimms. I would suggest reading carefully about it.

Don't forget to pick the right cpu socket on your mobo and one that is compatible with optane.

You may expect it to be a little slower as well.
    Last edited by z3n; April 18, 2019 at 08:48 AM.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Blog Entries

Experimenting with SSDs here. Purchased a Kingston 240GB and installed and had good results (TOB, ROME II). Now adding another Kingston 240GB drive.

This will apparently greatly increase my ability to use graphic programs. etc.

​​

The House of Baltar