Thread: Lord Thomas Fairfax and Vegetius

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

Default Lord Thomas Fairfax and Vegetius

His biographers assert that, in his retirement, Lord Thomas Fairfax, the first Captain-General of the New Model Army and commander-in-chief of Parliamentary forces during the English Civil War, undertook, amongst other literary endeavours, the translation of the treatise of the Roman military writer Vegetius. A few years ago, I discovered the manuscript of this translation, in Fairfax's handwriting, in the Harley Collection in the British Library. After investigating a curious passage at the end of the manuscript, I came to the conclusion that the translation was undertaken during Fairfax’s generalship, not from Latin but from a French translation by Johann Jacobi von Wallhausen, as a preparatory stage in the production of a practical handbook, based on Vegetius’ treatise, for the use of himself and/or his fellow commanders and/ subordinates. My findings have been published in the Modern Language Review, the reference being:

Michael King Macdona, 'Thomas, 3rd Lord Fairfax and Vegetius', The Modern Language Review,vol. 113, no. 2, 2018, pp. 307–320.

I have uploaded the article to academia.edu, the link being:

https://www.academia.edu/38776177/Thomas_3rd_Lord_Fairfax_and_Vegetius

Last edited by Renatus; April 15, 2019 at 06:50 AM.