Thread: Factions plans for the future?

Icon5 Factions plans for the future?

Hi Guys,

First thing, without going into details, I just love the mod

However I must say I'm a little curious if there are any plans for adding more playable factions to the game? I have seen in old threads that there were plans for Navarre and Silesia but I don't think this has happened so far. Currently there are 54 playable factions (wow!) but I'm not sure - is this the final list? If not could you share with us the complete list of factions that you plan to make playable (either for "custom battle" only or for campaign as well)? Also, will it be possible to choose any of the emergent factions for the custom battle? Will they have custom unit sets?

Default Re: Factions plans for the future?

Yes. There are some factions that will be made playable:

- Zengid Atabegate
    - Kingdom of Navarre
    - Malikate of Oman
    - Grand Knyazate of Vladimir-Suzdal
    - Either Galicia-Volhynia or Chernigov

Roster will be made, but maybe not playable:
    - Ireland
    - Alania-Ossetia

Yay, 5 more playable factions, sounds great!
    If I were to suggest I would say Galicia-Volhynia would be much more interesting than Chernigov due to its close ties to Catholic world, especially Hungary and Poland which makes them much more unique than Chernigov (they even had a pope-recognized king for some time, the only Rus principality to do so if I am correct). I think that they also claimed to be the only legitimate heirs to Kievan Rus which would give a nice potential for "unite the Rus" mission
    One more question:
    What is the plan for rosters for emergent or non-playable factions? Will they have a "copy" of roster of another faction (i.e. Ottomans would be copy of Slejuks of Rum) or are you going to give them special roster based on mixing units of other factions (for example Transylvania could potentialy have roster consisting of Hungarian and Moldovan units)? Or maybe some other approach? I ask this question because I've seen that you've made rosters for Silesia and Pomerania, which are non-playable factions. This would suggest that after you plan some development for non-playables & (perhaps) emergents?

Actually, T2 and T3 Seljuks are copying Ottomans, not vice versa. So does the case with Khwarezmians with Timurids and Ayyubids with Mamluks. Turkish Beyliks will yes, uses copied Seljuk roster. Special mixed rosters can be made too: Silesia for example can be mixed HRE-Poland mix.

I'm glad to see this answer. For the Rus' (as it is one of my main field of research as a historian) I also recommend Galicia because of its "Latin" ties in religion, warfare and political issues. Chernigov would be very similar to Kiev with steppe-oriented elements.

For Vladimir I recommend adding some 13th century Novgorodian archer-spear infantry and later Western-influenced Novgorodian infantry units as Novgorod cannot be represented on the Attila map in other way while the grand princes of Vladimir used Novgorod units as they were the elected rulers of Novgorod, too.

I also hope that the Irish and the Alans will be playable as both are very unique cultures.

Alans are especially unique with their mixed Orthodox Christian and archaic Scytho-Sarmatian pagan religion (can be represented by Tengriism in the game), with their mixed nomadic and Caucasian units and their history struggling with and surviving among settled peoples and nomadic tribes and also partially migrating from the Caucasus to Moldavia and Hungary (even founding a short-lived kingdom in Moldavia before the Vlachs [Old Romanians]).

Also, how is the revamp of Khwarazm and the Atabegates are going?
    Last edited by ST. Toma; April 23, 2019 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ST. Toma View Post
    I'm glad to see this answer. For the Rus' (as it is one of my main field of research as a historian) I also recommend Galicia because of its "Latin" ties in religion, warfare and political issues. Chernigov would be very similar to Kiev with steppe-oriented elements.

For Vladimir I recommend adding some 13th century Novgorodian archer-spear infantry and later Western-influenced Novgorodian infantry units as Novgorod cannot be represented on the Attila map in other way while the grand princes of Vladimir used Novgorod units as they were the elected rulers of Novgorod, too.

I also hope that the Irish and the Alans will be playable as both are very unique cultures.

Alans are especially unique with their mixed Orthodox Christian and archaic Scytho-Sarmatian pagan religion (can be represented by Tengriism in the game), with their mixed nomadic and Caucasian units and their history struggling with and surviving among settled peoples and nomadic tribes and also partially migrating from the Caucasus to Moldavia and Hungary (even founding a short-lived kingdom in Moldavia before the Vlachs [Old Romanians]).

Also, how is the revamp of Khwarazm and the Atabegates are going?
    Interesting. If you may, can you advise us for a rework of Rus rosters? Please propose things that can be made better, removed, replaced, added and more from the current roster here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?755696-Medieval-Kingdoms-Total-War-Kievan-Rus-(REVAMP)

Iranian development progress is slow nowadays, because Zsimmortal is busy in the very important Campaign development

Guys any plan of revamping the Byzantines?
    Imo they lack a bit (in terms of texturing,modelling, vmds in general), compared to the other fantastic rosters, both islamic and european.
    This is just my personal opinion though..

You_Guess_who the 5 factions you told will be playable,it's in campaign or custom battle?

Quote Originally Posted by M@x1mus View Post
    Guys any plan of revamping the Byzantines?
    Imo they lack a bit (in terms of texturing,modelling, vmds in general), compared to the other fantastic rosters, both islamic and european.
    This is just my personal opinion though..
    Personally I find them practical and functional. How do you think it should be? Lets say compared to the latest Serbian roster, because both Byzantine and Serbian roster are made by Ltd., the same developer.

Quote Originally Posted by elinath View Post
    You_Guess_who the 5 factions you told will be playable,it's in campaign or custom battle?
    Both.

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

I like the Byzantines, their latest update made them even better IMO. Though their late era roster is missing Albanian units (crucial for the Morea) and native crossbows.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Actually, T2 and T3 Seljuks are copying Ottomans, not vice versa. So does the case with Khwarezmians with Timurids and Ayyubids with Mamluks. Turkish Beyliks will yes, uses copied Seljuk roster. Special mixed rosters can be made too: Silesia for example can be mixed HRE-Poland mix.
    How will the late Beylik rosters look like? They should be different to the Ottomans and more simillar to the Ak-Koyunlu and other Turkomans.

Personally I find them practical and functional. How do you think it should be? Lets say compared to the latest Serbian roster, because both Byzantine and Serbian roster are made by Ltd., the same developer.
    Im not talking about the units in the byzantine roster. I said
    in terms of texturing,modelling
    To be more specific:

Many helmets used for the Byzantines don't have proper metallic glossiness.
    For example the bellow elite units:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That's what im talking about, mostly, otherwise very good work.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Well, other than the fact that you are showing units here that have long been redone, you are right: those helmets indeed don't have the proper maps, or to be more precise haven't have the texture maps adjusted for attila tw.
    Those are quite early assets.
    But again, these units should have a more up-to-date look in game, only the preview here in twc hasn't been updated entirely

Ok my friend! Thanks for the info, indeed i was testing the mod a long time ago.
    Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
    I like the Byzantines, their latest update made them even better IMO. Though their late era roster is missing Albanian units (crucial for the Morea) and native crossbows.
    Aside of core units, Epirus and Trebizond hasn't been differentiated from Nicaea.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallachian View Post
    How will the late Beylik rosters look like? They should be different to the Ottomans and more simillar to the Ak-Koyunlu and other Turkomans.
    Honestly we haven't planned that far. We're just use the the same roster.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

There were talks for the Paypal(hehe) States in the past.What about the pope? Personaly Dont want them as playeable and save the spot for another faction.

@frozenmen just made my day

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Honestly we haven't planned that far. We're just use the the same roster.
    I know it's not that important but for late period the beyliks should not have the same roster as ottomans with janissaries as the like. The karamanids for example existed way into the XVth century and had armies similar to the turkoman states. So you can just share those units from the persian turkomanic factions with the beyliks instead of the ottoman ones.No need to create anything new.