Thread: Diplomacy - tributes

Default Diplomacy - tributes

Hello everyone!

I hope someone can answer a question that has been bothering me.

I recently made peace with a faction. I asked for 4000 mnai, they accepted. Their wealth went from "meagre" to "bankrupt".

Can a faction go into into the negative (debt) when it gives the player such a monetary tribute, or is it only capable of accepting demands it can actually bankroll?

Default Re: Diplomacy - tributes

I suspect computer's idea of money is flawed. I used to try to ask computer for loan, I demand 2000 coins, but I offer to pay back 2500 coins in 4 turns, that's a good deal right? 20% interest rate for a one-year loan is good for them... and they would not accept....

From some experiment I did a while ago, they can not go into the negatives. Even with force diplomacy.

I think this works even for regular tribute. They have to have the amount you demand per turn at the moment to be able to accept.

We will either find a way, or make one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jervaj View Post
    From some experiment I did a while ago, they can not go into the negatives. Even with force diplomacy.

I think this works even for regular tribute. They have to have the amount you demand per turn at the moment to be able to accept.
    I hope that's true. I feel kind of bad for making that faction go "bankrupt".

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by tentaku View Post
    I suspect computer's idea of money is flawed. I used to try to ask computer for loan, I demand 2000 coins, but I offer to pay back 2500 coins in 4 turns, that's a good deal right? 20% interest rate for a one-year loan is good for them... and they would not accept....
    Maybe you're an untrustworthy scumbag and they know you'll declare war on them soon as you get your initial sum, never to pay them back with anything but the blood if their wives and children?

Quote Originally Posted by Dooz View Post
    Maybe you're an untrustworthy scumbag and they know you'll declare war on them soon as you get your initial sum, never to pay them back with anything but the blood if their wives and children?
    who says the AI is bad in this game

AI factions can't go bankrupt, the finance script zeros their debt every turn. The CAI doesn't "know" that though, which makes it curious that they'd accept that "deal".

When a faction is listed as "bankrupt", it does not necessarrily mean it's without cash in this game. There's an upper threshold.

The script doesn't work during the player's turn, right? I wonder if one can temporarily drive the AI into debt by asking for more money than it has.
    Last edited by Rad; April 13, 2019 at 05:48 AM.