Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marian Reforms ?

Default Marian Reforms ?

Are the Marian Reforms included and are there new Imperial units ? The way Roma Surrectum II did it was what I imagined would happen.
    Is this implemented, and if not is there a submod or a way I could do it myself ?

Thanks.

Default Re: Marian Reforms ?

Yes, they are implemented and you have some 4/5 units I think, you can check on custom battles menu. What part of Roma Surrectum II marian reforms do you imagine to be implemented?

Imperial units are nothing to do with the Marian reforms, they are for the Augustan reforms, which are not yet implemented. Besides which, there will be only one Imperial unit, the Praetorian Cohors, which isn't ready.

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

After turn 500 (147BC) Rome needs to have constructed Latifundae (farms_seven) in at least six of the seven core Italian provinces. They then need an FM with the Reformator trait.

Failing this, they will automatically occur on turn 661 (107BC)
    I think we'll add an Imperial reform sometimes but this is super low priority. Not all that much changed from the late republican era to the imperial era in the time period the mod plays it will most likely be just political and the only unit we'll add in that era are the Praetorian Cohort

edit: Ninja'd by Quintus ofc

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    I think we'll add an Imperial reform sometimes but this is super low priority. Not all that much changed from the late republican era to the imperial era in the time period the mod plays it will most likely be just political and the only unit we'll add in that era are the Praetorian Cohort

edit: Ninja'd by Quintus ofc
    Oh he definitely Ninja Giadened you alright, all the way back to Japan, mofo.

The Marian reforms most certainly do work and I've been playing with them for literally hundreds of turns now. I'm currently past turn #860, the year is 57 BC and I'm invading the British Isles as SPQR. The Marian units include reformed legionary cohorts, elite Evocatae veterans, Antesignani spearmen/skirmishers, legionary first cohorts (containing a whopping 243 men on huge unit size), and the Equites Auxilium. The latter are post-Marian auxiliary cavalry that look like Romanized Celts, with some of the cavalrymen having torcs around their necks. Of course, the core provinces of Roman Italy also produce Onager artillery for tearing down walls and mechanical Scorpion bolt throwers.

While we're on the subject of Marian reforms... what would be the optimal composition of a Marian legion?

Going by the 1/1000 scale, five legionary units would be one legion. I usually use the "only two of the same unit to a stack" house rule, so would it be ahistorical for my legions to have one 1st cohort, two envocata and two normal cohorts? Or would that be an unhistorical usage of the veteran cohorts? How should they used if it is?

Also is there any plans for ancillaries with the names of different legions?

Is there any way for me to take the augustan/imperial reforms from another mod and add them to this one ?

Quote Originally Posted by sharkeyyyy View Post
    Is there any way for me to take the augustan/imperial reforms from another mod and add them to this one ?
    It really depends on what you want to add. Are they units, events or just new traits and ancillaries? Or even buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkeyyyy View Post
    In fact, I can help you add some new traits and other mehanics for Imperial Reforms, if you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    In fact, I can help you add some new traits and other mehanics for Imperial Reforms, if you need.
    hi there, I just want to ask how to trigger the reforms? i mean marian reforms.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyPanda View Post
    hi there, I just want to ask how to trigger the reforms? i mean marian reforms.

Ooops, sorry my bad, I found the answer to my question.

My next question will be, will there be any enhancement on the SPQR roster, I mean, will it be like RSII Legions? or will you just go for the SPQR mod type of legions(which I prefer by the way)

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyPanda View Post
    Ooops, sorry my bad, I found the answer to my question.

My next question will be, will there be any enhancement on the SPQR roster, I mean, will it be like RSII Legions? or will you just go for the SPQR mod type of legions(which I prefer by the way)
    AFAIK the only unit that might be added to core Roman roster is Praetorian cohort with Augustan reforms. RSII way consumes way too many unit slots, if I remember that correctly.

I never played the SPQR mod, what was their way with the Roman legions?

https://www.google.com/search?q=rome...GxJs_7FAjo4IM:

this is how their legions look like.

No, there will never be legionaries wearing lorica segmentata in EBII, unless you put them there yourself. It didn't exist in our timeframe.

Is there a chance of ancillaries to simulate the different legions? I remember there was a submod to the same effect in EBI, but is there anything official in the works?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    No, there will never be legionaries wearing lorica segmentata in EBII, unless you put them there yourself. It didn't exist in our timeframe.
    oh ok,

Roman roster is already on steroid compared to rest of the world, even its cavalry is solid; on top of that, its rock solid units, including cavalry, are very easily replenished. I haven't hit Marian reform yet, and I can only imagine those post-reform Roman units slaughtering units from rest of the world like 18th century Europeans gunning down native tribes....

Quote Originally Posted by tentaku View Post
    Roman roster is already on steroid compared to rest of the world, even its cavalry is solid; on top of that, its rock solid units, including cavalry, are very easily replenished. I haven't hit Marian reform yet, and I can only imagine those post-reform Roman units slaughtering units from rest of the world like 18th century Europeans gunning down native tribes....
    Try Pontos before speaking about OP. Takes time to get going, but then, it rocks. Phalangitai, AP swordsmen, great heavy and medium cavalry, slinger-axemen, and oxybeles.

Edit: oh, and I forgot superb heavy spearmen.
    Last edited by Sar1n; October 09, 2019 at 10:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast