Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Decision - Reformation of the Council of War

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Decision - Reformation of the Council of War

Quote Originally Posted by Van Zandt View Post
    This is an important observation. You are right we are over-represented by the older TW franchise games. This is certainly an issue to discuss with other modders.
    It is an issue you could discuss within your existing structure...
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Author: Van Zandt
    Support:

I. The curia recommends the formation of a council of modders and modding members of the community in order to advise and assist the Modding Staff and Hex in activities that would promote the creation of a productive and creative modding environment. This council would be called "The Council of War" based on historical activities of such a named council here at TWC.

II. Members of the Council of War will be given full access to the Modding Staff forum in order to engage with other council members and the modding staff.

III. Members of the Council of War will be determined based on their engagement and activity in the modding community.
    a. Members must be citizens in good standing, with no prior moderator interactions for a period of 1 year prior to consideration for a seat on the Council of War.
    b. Members who have achieved the rank of "Opifex" will be granted automatic status as a member of the Council of War, subject to their qualifications relative to item IIIa in this proposal.
    c. Members of the Council of War or the Modding Staff may propose additional members, subject to approval by the Modding Director and/or Hex.

IV. This position will have an advisory role only, and these members will not be allocated any moderation abilities relative to this council.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.
    I think the main issue with this is giving full access to Modding Staff for such a group. I wouldn't imagine this to be a huge issue of some back door for anyone to get into staff and cause chaos, I'm sure most people are going to mean well either way, but this doesn't seem like it's going for a potentially beneficial in-between. I'm still for something along the lines of the liaison idea I took out of the major overhaul proposal, which needs some work still, but I don't think this really hits the right spot either. While most Opifex holders will likely be just fine in terms of modding knowledge to have potential for such a position, it doesn't address their desire to do so, let alone any personal incentive nor incentive in terms of what they'd be getting done through such a channel. It also makes it a citizen only thing, something I don't think needs to be a stipulation.

Overall it doesn't seem like it's addressing anything in particular, just making another position for the sake of it. It may be with good intention but seems to have no real definable goal. If Modding Staff can instead come up internally with a reason and specific application for such a body, I think it would be much more useful then, but as this stands now I don't see the point.

I still wish to keep visiting the idea overall, and the liaison idea from my previous proposal I do intend to revisit but I also intend to attempt coupling that with some specific staff work initiative as well to hopefully see it accomplish something specific. So again, if you can do something similar with this, then it may have more merit, and may not even conflict at all with ideas I am working on and thus could work both separately and in tandem with it, but as it stands now it isn't there or worthwhile IMO.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    So a pseudo-staff branch with access to the staff forums, but neither proper oversight of behaviour by Hex/Directors nor any committment to actually implement the wonderful ideas they "advise" Modding Staff with. Great. The only people this would be viable for would be modders whose behaviour is not sufficiently impeccable to join Modding staff or who cannot be asked to take any responsibility themselves but who still want some of the bling and influence. Everybody else can simply join Modding Staff (if they have the time) or just present their ideas in the Q&S where Modding Staff can see them and implement if deemed sensible.
    I'm very much in line with Iskar's position, as usual.

Besides, allowing non-staffer into Staff private fora is a no go, that's granted.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Besides, allowing non-staffer into Staff private fora is a no go, that's granted.
    Alternatively, we could allow Modding Staff access to the dedicated forum for the Council of War.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Alternatively, we could allow Modding Staff access to the dedicated forum for the Council of War.
    Alternatively, you could simply ask via existing commentary threads and other means for the level of access said council would have.
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Why don't you want to just simply use the Modding Discussion and Resources forum?
    It suits perfectly to the Modding Staff role and that's a good starting point IMO. Make that forum yours (meaning Modding Staff), advertise it a bit et voilà: you're ready to go
    No need of the curia, no need of a group/office and you'll get the biggest and simpliest way for advices, help, etc...
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; April 17, 2019 at 12:24 AM.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Why don't you want to just simply use the Modding Discussion and Resources forum?
    It suits perfectly to the Modding Staff role and that's a good starting point IMO. Make that forum yours (meaning Modding Staff), advertise it a bit et voilà: you're ready to go
    No need of the curia, no need of a group/office and you'll get the biggest and simpliest way for advices, help, etc...
    That is actually a positive suggestion. I have started a more informal process of communication as well.

I will archive this proposal at this time.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Hader's Avatar Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.
    Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Archived on request.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123