Thread: My impressions

Branchez93's Avatar Foederatus

Default My impressions

I am creating a new thread for this and I hope that is not a problem. If it is merge it with an existing one.

First of all I am a huge military history enthusiast and the age of the musket is one of my all time favorites. Love playing ETW and NTW. I loved playing ETW back in the day but got tired of it after a time due to it's repetitiveness and generic factions/units with no special feel for them especially compared to the newest TW games. I have played DarthMod quite a lot and to be honest I did know IS mod existed but had thought it's some kind of a long dead mod and didn't feel like trying it out. I've seen the anniversary beta version you have uploaded recently and felt like giving it a try this time, since yet again I wanted to play some ETW. Just wanted to share some of my suggestions, comments and ask a question or two.

I just realized there are two versions of the mod. Rise of the Republic and normal (old?) one. First question would be is the "normal" version finished? Is it still being updated? Or is just on a stand-still while focus is on the Rise of the Republic? Anyway I am downloading it right now to try it out. Also when can we expect this version of Rise of the Republic to leave beta?

I have downloaded Rise of the Republic so let's go with that. Installation is pretty straight forward, easy, simple and fast, just as it should be. Good job on that. The first thing I noticed when I started a campaign as Great Britain on campaign map is the UI hud or whatever it is called. I must say it is an interesting concept but for my feel I must say that the colors are a bit "weak" (?). Not sure what a proper term is but I think that the colors need to be stronger and more exaggerated just so everything would be more clear and more pretty for the eye. I really like what you did with the campaign map, all the territories, army and navy stacks etc. Here I will also report a bug that I have found. When entering diplomacy with Russia with whom I am very friendly when asking for a trade agreement in the text above it just says "Missing string". That is normal for Beta version but still wanted to point it out. Second question - no matter what kind of a relation I have with a faction no one wants to trade with me (or they want if I give them a territory!!!) is that normal - meant to make things harder or? As for the building and unit icons on the campaign map I must say I like them very much. They are very well made, especially the units. And the diversity of units? Amazing!

Now let's move to the real time battle phase. What strikes me first are truly amazing uniforms. I like them a lot. It is obvious you have put a lot of effort in them. Second, all the effects, smoke, musket and cannons firing are also very, very good. What I would like to suggest is adding more glow (or changing it in some other way) to the selected units. I can barely see which units I have selected. Just barely. I think that needs to be changed as soon as possible.

Sorry for the long post but this is just a "short" first impression from me. I hope you answer all my comments and suggestions, as well as questions.

This truly seems like a great and quite promising mod which is why I actually took some time to think about it and write a post here.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Default Re: My impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Branchez93 View Post
    I am creating a new thread for this and I hope that is not a problem. If it is merge it with an existing one.

First of all I am a huge military history enthusiast and the age of the musket is one of my all time favorites. Love playing ETW and NTW. I loved playing ETW back in the day but got tired of it after a time due to it's repetitiveness and generic factions/units with no special feel for them especially compared to the newest TW games. I have played DarthMod quite a lot and to be honest I did know IS mod existed but had thought it's some kind of a long dead mod and didn't feel like trying it out. I've seen the anniversary beta version you have uploaded recently and felt like giving it a try this time, since yet again I wanted to play some ETW. Just wanted to share some of my suggestions, comments and ask a question or two.

I just realized there are two versions of the mod. Rise of the Republic and normal (old?) one. First question would be is the "normal" version finished? Is it still being updated? Or is just on a stand-still while focus is on the Rise of the Republic? Anyway I am downloading it right now to try it out. Also when can we expect this version of Rise of the Republic to leave beta?

I have downloaded Rise of the Republic so let's go with that. Installation is pretty straight forward, easy, simple and fast, just as it should be. Good job on that. The first thing I noticed when I started a campaign as Great Britain on campaign map is the UI hud or whatever it is called. I must say it is an interesting concept but for my feel I must say that the colors are a bit "weak" (?). Not sure what a proper term is but I think that the colors need to be stronger and more exaggerated just so everything would be more clear and more pretty for the eye. I really like what you did with the campaign map, all the territories, army and navy stacks etc. Here I will also report a bug that I have found. When entering diplomacy with Russia with whom I am very friendly when asking for a trade agreement in the text above it just says "Missing string". That is normal for Beta version but still wanted to point it out. Second question - no matter what kind of a relation I have with a faction no one wants to trade with me (or they want if I give them a territory!!!) is that normal - meant to make things harder or? As for the building and unit icons on the campaign map I must say I like them very much. They are very well made, especially the units. And the diversity of units? Amazing!

Now let's move to the real time battle phase. What strikes me first are truly amazing uniforms. I like them a lot. It is obvious you have put a lot of effort in them. Second, all the effects, smoke, musket and cannons firing are also very, very good. What I would like to suggest is adding more glow (or changing it in some other way) to the selected units. I can barely see which units I have selected. Just barely. I think that needs to be changed as soon as possible.

Sorry for the long post but this is just a "short" first impression from me. I hope you answer all my comments and suggestions, as well as questions.

This truly seems like a great and quite promising mod which is why I actually took some time to think about it and write a post here.
    Sorry for the late reply...
    First our goal is finally to move back to the regular Imperial Splendour. But currently we rework all factions for the late era (and doing on all the work for the early era too btw like tech-trees and so on) and whenever that is done, we will start working on the early era campaign again.
    Thanks for the feedback on the UI. I might add a tapestry effect as seen in the Hanoverian UI to the British one. Btw the colours come from original Adam-style interior photos.
    The missing string bug will be fixed in the next update.
    For the trade problem, the AI is currently under review and will be tweaked in the future.
    For the glow effect you mentioned, do you mean the icons or units themselves?

And thanks for all your praise of our mod!

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Branchez93's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post

For the glow effect you mentioned, do you mean the icons or units themselves?

And thanks for all your praise of our mod!
    I mean the icons in the bottom UI part. When you click on a certain unit you can barely see that you have selected it. The glow is way too weak. Do you understand what I mean? So not the actual unit you see on the field but the unit card in the UI part.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Branchez93 View Post
    I mean the icons in the bottom UI part. When you click on a certain unit you can barely see that you have selected it. The glow is way too weak. Do you understand what I mean? So not the actual unit you see on the field but the unit card in the UI part.
    Thanks for the answer, we'll look at this.

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop