Thread: DEI Supply system explanation

Default DEI Supply system explanation

I'm seeing inconsistencies in what I've read and still need clarification. Thanks

https://imgur.com/a/zDdToxL for current map

I've been getting by but I think I would like to fully understand supply lines and logistics now that I have stretched myself to a point that I may have peace and focus on a economic golden age and building re-purposing before starting a world war. I've been just focusing food and public order and would like to start turning that around now that I'm stable.

1. So what I picked up on was the supply depot which can extend supplies to armies through 3 regions and the grain silo which is 1 adjacent region. Is this from any region within that province or is it just within the settlement where the building is constructed?

2. Is this only relevant when it is applicable to a nearby army in an infertile region where it cannot support itself or is it also relevant within your own territory? I've always been able to supply armies in my own local region so long as there is positive net food so I'm guessing the former is true.

3. If this is true is it best to have supply depots on the edge of your territory where you expect to have military campaigns in enemy territory or do supply lines not extend into enemy territory? If supply lines do not stretch into enemy territory then I am confused on the point of them considering I never face attrition in my own territory even when my armies are nowhere near a supply depot.

4. As for supplies, the supply depot I would imagine would drain supplies from that particular region but to avoid draining a region from prolonged campaigns is it possible to set up a supply network from the center of your empire where supplies are plentiful by constructing a supply depot network throughout the empire? Is that necessary? I'm trying to figure out where to construct supply depots and silos.

5. Also, does a baggage train only decrease logistics costs or does it serve another purpose? I thought it would bring excess supplies to supply armies for longer periods of time that are not connected to a supply line or in enemy territory but that didn't seem to be what it said it was for.

6. Lastly, how far do the naval supply ships resources extend inland for land armies?

Default Re: DEI Supply system explanation

7. are supplies transferred via trade routes therefore affecting the direction of the range of supply depots?

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

1. that is always a number of regions from the one in which the building was constructed

2. if you are referring to the supply lines then yes, these are only relevant in the foreign territory

3. see point 2 above

4. basically as close to your border as possible since again the supply lines are only relevant in the foreign territory

5. the baggage train serves mostly the purpose of supplying the army that is not connected to your supply lines and is not supplied by the fleet

6. that's the zone defined in the lua script and it's hard for me to tell exactly how far it reaches, but from what I've seen thus far it is quite significant

7. there is basically no connection between the trade routes and the supply lines

I want to ask something about supply system, I don't know if this is the right thread. I am playing as Athens and I have just conquer the province of Hellas. I had three armies and because I had problems with supplies I disbanded the two of them. Now with one full stack army I cannot sustain the supplies of the regions of Sparta and Athens. I must disband this army too or I must change region each turn, because my army needs 33 supplies and Attica, Achaia only produce 15-25 supplies. This is totally stupid and of course not realistic at all. Why the ing army must consume supplies in my own regions and at least why they don't take from Crete the supplies. In Athens they dying and in Crete they producing 40 supplies. What can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by spyros56 View Post
    I want to ask something about supply system, I don't know if this is the right thread. I am playing as Athens and I have just conquer the province of Hellas. I had three armies and because I had problems with supplies I disbanded the two of them. Now with one full stack army I cannot sustain the supplies of the regions of Sparta and Athens. I must disband this army too or I must change region each turn, because my army needs 33 supplies and Attica, Achaia only produce 15-25 supplies. This is totally stupid and of course not realistic at all. Why the ing army must consume supplies in my own regions and at least why they don't take from Crete the supplies. In Athens they dying and in Crete they producing 40 supplies. What can I do?
    Have you tried building any buildings that make more supplies to help with this?

Yes, in Knossos and Sparta I have build buildings producing supplies, Sparta building is on progress. But in Athens, the province capital, I can't build something to produce supplies, so I can't have the army there.

Spleen999's Avatar Libertus

Good question and helpful answers, great thread very useful!

This is an interesting thread. It seems to me allied armies drain supplies in friendly regions too. As Athens, I had taken Pella and I was full military allies with Sparta, Aetolian League, and Epirote League, each had parked 2 armies outside of Pella, and we were not at war with anyone in the region. All of the Armies, including mine, started wasting away, and even though I had a food surplus, my armies were starving. I noticed the allied armies were also "starving" and suffering from attrition. Was it because my allies had parked all of their armies in the same region? I had a a level 2 supply depot in Pella.

And if that is what happened, is there a good way to get allies to move their armies so they go back home and eat their own food?