Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The heaviest cavalry units available to each faction?

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: The heaviest cavalry units available to each faction?

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post

Interesting! I can't wait to see the upgraded model. Would it be available for recruitment by other factions in an allied oligarchy or province, or would it be exclusive to their faction?
    No. It's their late era Royal Guard on Horse. It's a unique model (shared with their BG afaik) much like normal Hetairoi who also cannot be recruited by other factions that can't recruit them

Raiuga's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    We're pretty sure (as much as you ever can be with this engine...) that it's 2.5 per upgrade.
    I didn't know that, I thought you could even mod the number each upgrade did.

How does the engine even deals with the .5 value? Does it round up when pair and goes down when odd number?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiuga View Post
    I didn't know that, I thought you could even mod the number each upgrade did.

How does the engine even deals with the .5 value? Does it round up when pair and goes down when odd number?
    I wish we could, it's all hardcoded.

I think it rounds down the first, but counts both for the second - so +2/+5.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by alex33 View Post
    No. It's their late era Royal Guard on Horse. It's a unique model (shared with their BG afaik) much like normal Hetairoi who also cannot be recruited by other factions that can't recruit them
    Ah! That's too bad. Oh well! Guess I'll just have to play with them for a bit to see them in action in later versions of the mod.

Out of sheer curiosity, what would be the heaviest cavalry available to either the Sabaeans or the Sweboz on the opposite side of the map? As the Romans it seems the heaviest cavalry I can muster are the Scythian nobles, who are sort of semi-cataphracts. I'm assuming that's the same case for Sabaeans and Sweboz. I haven't ventured too far east, but it looks like I can only recruit Armenian Horsearchers and Lancers, obviously not their elite cataphracts. That's a shame...they're easily the most impressive looking unit in the whole game, as someone else here has mentioned.

Thumbnails:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hayasdan 2309.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	358736 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hayasdan 2307.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	215.2 KB 
ID:	358737

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Best looking Cataphract title surely belongs to the Armenians, though the others are not far behind. The Sarmatian Cataphracts look underwhelming at the moment though, I know their mount model isnt finished but still they dont look quite as heavy as the other Cataphracts even the Alan Nobles partially look more heavily armoured, they also suffer of quite many clipping issues. I suppose their armour rating is going up in the future with a new mount ?

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Marvzilla View Post
    Best looking Cataphract title surely belongs to the Armenians, though the others are not far behind. The Sarmatian Cataphracts look underwhelming at the moment though, I know their mount model isnt finished but still they dont look quite as heavy as the other Cataphracts even the Alan Nobles partially look more heavily armoured, they also suffer of quite many clipping issues. I suppose their armour rating is going up in the future with a new mount ?
    Yeah, it would be nice to have heavier looking Sarmatian nobles, although I absolutely love the retainer cavalry. Even the Sarmatian horse archer bodyguards look pretty amazing.

Ah! It's so refreshing playing as a Hellenistic faction again, this time Epeiros, and being able to recruit Kataphractoi heavy cavalry from Damaskos, unlike the Romans who could not (as previously mentioned). However, as a Western Greek faction, is Damaskos truly the westernmost city on the campaign map where I can recruit Kataphractoi? I wish you could at least recruit them from Alexandria or Antioch as well, although having those Indian elephant stables including elephant cataphracts is pretty sweet (despite the enormous budgetary cost for recruitment and maintenance). Does anyone else know of any other cities where a Western Greek faction can recruit kataphractoi?

I think you could also recruit them in edessa with either high level native or hellenic colonies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12