Thread: Laptop Wifi Adapter Failing?

Default Laptop Wifi Adapter Failing?

So I have this nearly 10 year old Toshiba Satellite L555-S7001 laptop that I only use for streaming movies, etc., but I've been noticing that the internet is getting slower, especially when compared to my other devices. I have a 200MBS plan from my ISP, but this Toshiba averages roughly 20-25 MBS when alone on my network, can go as low as 2MBS, and sometimes the connection even drops. I've also noticed that an Ethernet connection does not change the speed of the Toshiba, while my desktop, which is also connected via Ethernet, will get 200mbs. I'm going to swap out my router and see if that that makes a difference, but I'm wondering if my WIFI adapter is failing.

Other things to note:

• At first, most of my other devices were getting roughly 20mbs, but I played with the router's settings (my ISP talked me through it), and now they're getting 40 - 80mbs, which is still kind of low IMO. The Toshiba still lags behind all of them.
    • The Toshiba's WIFI driver is up to date, and it says it's functioning properly.
    • Toshiba runs on a 2G frequency and is only a couple of feet away from the router. Most of my devices are in same room, but very rarely are all on at the same time.
    • I rebooted the Toshiba to factory settings (wiping the HD), but it made no difference.

Any ideas before I buy an external WIFI adapter? My router is capable of 5G, but most of my devices aren't compatible

Thanks

PS. I'm not that tech savvy

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Laptop Wifi Adapter Failing?

Try an external USB dongle WiFi adapter. They are cheap and plug and play compatible. Make sure you disable your current WiFi before installing.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers